Build for casual gaming, help!

Scott Macbeth
Go to solution Solved by Streetguru,
10 minutes ago, Scott Macbeth said:

Hi guys, planning a build for a friend who mainly plays fortnite and casual stuff in that ball park. Budget is £1000 GBP, must include a monitor and may have to consider buying OS but for now lets ignore that. Any more questions please fire away I'm good at building the pc's but not the best at picking the right parts if you guys can help out, also i'm in the UK. All help appreciated. :)

Just buy this CPU cooler later, it's the cheapest dual tower cooler, also add a 2TB hard drive down the line maybe.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/r3xfrH/arctic-cooling-cpu-cooler-ucacop0900csb01

If you want a more compact case get a Q300L or Q500L, airflow is meh, but they are neat.

You may need to flash the bios with a USB flash drive

You can get a windows 10 key for $5 on ebay, or just install it and use it without a key, all you get is a tiny watermark.

If you find some 3600mhz CL16 memory go for that instead if it's not much more, might be able to overclock that 3200mhz kit anyways.

also double check reviews for that monitor, and 1080p 144hz free-sync display should be fine though.

You could just get a used RX 470-580 on ebay for really cheap and it'll run fortnite and stuff just fine at 100+ fps.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/9qTYHB

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  (£174.78 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI B450M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£77.98 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (£66.78 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (£59.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 8 GB PULSE Video Card  (£343.19 @ CCL Computers)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 ATX Mid Tower Case  (£44.95 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (£75.18 @ Aria PC)
Monitor: LG 24GL600F-B 23.6" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor  (£139.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Total: £982.84

Hi guys, planning a build for a friend who mainly plays fortnite and casual stuff in that ball park. Budget is £1000 GBP, must include a monitor and may have to consider buying OS but for now lets ignore that. Any more questions please fire away I'm good at building the pc's but not the best at picking the right parts if you guys can help out, also i'm in the UK. All help appreciated. :)

10 minutes ago, Scott Macbeth said:

Just buy this CPU cooler later, it's the cheapest dual tower cooler, also add a 2TB hard drive down the line maybe.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/r3xfrH/arctic-cooling-cpu-cooler-ucacop0900csb01

If you want a more compact case get a Q300L or Q500L, airflow is meh, but they are neat.

You may need to flash the bios with a USB flash drive

You can get a windows 10 key for $5 on ebay, or just install it and use it without a key, all you get is a tiny watermark.

If you find some 3600mhz CL16 memory go for that instead if it's not much more, might be able to overclock that 3200mhz kit anyways.

also double check reviews for that monitor, and 1080p 144hz free-sync display should be fine though.

You could just get a used RX 470-580 on ebay for really cheap and it'll run fortnite and stuff just fine at 100+ fps.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/9qTYHB

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  (£174.78 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI B450M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£77.98 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (£66.78 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (£59.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 8 GB PULSE Video Card  (£343.19 @ CCL Computers)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 ATX Mid Tower Case  (£44.95 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (£75.18 @ Aria PC)
Monitor: LG 24GL600F-B 23.6" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor  (£139.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Total: £982.84

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Amazing, you guys really are quick on this. Just a couple of things i may need to change, unless I'm seeing this wrong the case comes with 1 pre installed fan in the back, know of any cheap (decent) fans to put in? also my friend says they would like a cd drive, I've tried talking them out of it or even getting an external but anyway to change the case around to be able to get a cd drive installed + a relatively cheap cd drive? very good start though. Thanks.

11 minutes ago, Scott Macbeth said:

Amazing, you guys really are quick on this. Just a couple of things i may need to change, unless I'm seeing this wrong the case comes with 1 pre installed fan in the back, know of any cheap (decent) fans to put in? also my friend says they would like a cd drive, I've tried talking them out of it or even getting an external but anyway to change the case around to be able to get a cd drive installed + a relatively cheap cd drive? very good start though. Thanks.

Good case with an ODD

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/ZHmxFT/fractal-design-focus-g-black-atx-mid-tower-case-fd-ca-focus-bk-w

ODD 

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/wh38TW/asus-drw-24d5mt-dvdcd-writer-drw-24d5mt

Fans

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/cXg323/arctic-cooling-case-fan-afaco120p2gba01

Just one in the rear would be enough since there are 2 intakes already :) 

19 minutes ago, Scott Macbeth said:

Amazing, you guys really are quick on this. Just a couple of things i may need to change, unless I'm seeing this wrong the case comes with 1 pre installed fan in the back,

What does he need the 5.25" bay for?

You can just get USB DVD drives now, much more useful in general IMO.

grab a Focus G otherwise probably just get the full size version.

The single exhaust fan is probably good enough with the full mesh front.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

What does he need the 5.25" bay for?

You can just get USB DVD drives now, much more useful in general IMO.

grab a Focus G otherwise probably just get the full size version.

The single exhaust fan is probably good enough with the full mesh front.

Honestly I've tried talking him out of it he is hell bent on having one in, I've went with the focus g and the dvd drive but this isn't till Christmas so I have time to talk him out of it. So far it's looking very good and just a few pounds shy of 1000 especially keeping the 5700.

1 minute ago, Scott Macbeth said:

Honestly I've tried talking him out of it he is hell bent on having one in, I've went with the focus g and the dvd drive but this isn't till Christmas so I have time to talk him out of it. So far it's looking very good and just a few pounds shy of 1000 especially keeping the 5700.

by that time the RX 5500 will be out as well, probably a better value for esport games

can probably fit in a 240hz display with the 5500 as well.

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

by that time the RX 5500 will be out as well, probably a better value for esport games

can probably fit in a 240hz display with the 5500 as well.

It could lower the costs... this is a good benchmark for now, I will hold onto it and get it all sorted around black friday coming up and hope some of these parts are cheaper by then.

I appreciate all your help on this guys, I was wondering if you were able to make a second build with a budget of £600 primarily for GTA 5 and Fortnite preferably keeping the fractal case linked lower as the cd drive would still need to be required (I apologise). 

9 minutes ago, Scott Macbeth said:

I appreciate all your help on this guys, I was wondering if you were able to make a second build with a budget of £600 primarily for GTA 5 and Fortnite preferably keeping the fractal case linked lower as the cd drive would still need to be required (I apologise).