CPU over temperature Error on booting

David.A

I woke up today and turned on my pc (has been turned off for 12 hours) and immediately the fans all went to max power. I turned on my NZXT CAM software as usual and saw that my CPU temperature 20 seconds after starting was at 90 degrees celcius. I thought this must be a mistake because this has never happened before so I restarted. Then while booting up the PC i got the error message: "CPU over temperature Error" I went into the BIOS to see yes that the CPU temp is at 80-90 degrees while the cpu load is like at 1%. I havent overclocked anything on my pc myself (i7 7700k is factory overclocked and havent changed anything). The CPU core voltage is at 1.168V. After restarting the pc twice and still getting the same error, i left the pc off for about 20minutes. then I could restart it but the fans went max mode instantly. going into the CAM software the mhz jumped from 4600 to 800 every 5 seconds and the temperature from 90ish to 70ish also every 5 seconds. The load of the CPU was between 1-3% all the time. I opened the PC and went as close to the CPU as I could (CPU is watercooled, NZXT kraken) and it felt no where near the 90 degrees its showing, rather then like maybe the 40 it normally is which makes me believe this is maybe just a display error showing the wrong temperature which makes the fans go mad? 

I really need help with this ASAP because I need my PC for work. Many thanks in advance!

8 minutes ago, David.A said:

I really need help with this ASAP because I need my PC for work. Many thanks in advance!

Check CAM software/BIOS again. Check if pump is running. And you can't feel the 90C of the CPU cores as it's the cpu core temp... The actual heat output dosen't warm up the air around to 90C.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

2 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Check CAM software/BIOS again. Check if pump is running. And you can't feel the 90C of the CPU cores as it's the cpu core temp... The actual heat output dosen't warm up the air around to 90C.

Thanks for the answer! For some reason after waiting another 30 minutes and restarting then the temperature is fine. 28 degrees now. The only thing that I can still see in the CAM software is that the clock speed is jumping from 800mhz to 1500mhz then back to 800 then back to 3000 and back. Is this normal? shouldnt it always be on the 4600 mhz?

Just now, David.A said:

Thanks for the answer! For some reason after waiting another 30 minutes and restarting then the temperature is fine. 28 degrees now. The only thing that I can still see in the CAM software is that the clock speed is jumping from 800mhz to 1500mhz then back to 800 then back to 3000 and back. Is this normal? shouldnt it always be on the 4600 mhz?

Thats normal, depending on load on the CPU. fire up cinebench and see what temps your getting.  https://www.maxon.net/en-us/products/cinebench-r20-overview/

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Just did the test and I was getting max 76 degrees on permanent 100% load and clock speed always being on 4600ish mhz. Thats all normal I guess? Just weird that I was having this problem earlier out of nowhere. and also out of nowhere its gone.

Maybe consider repasting you CPU. You said your System is factory overclocked? Do you know whether the IHS was removed and the tim was switched to LM?

4 minutes ago, Devryd said:

Maybe consider repasting you CPU. You said your System is factory overclocked? Do you know whether the IHS was removed and the tim was switched to LM?

I have the Kraken x62 and the thermal paste was already applied to it. Just had to remove a cover and put it on the cpu