Radeon GPU drivers

K0rN b4LL

I'm researching for my first build and was looking at getting one of the new Radeon 5700 cards to go in it (one of the partner ones for the cooling) but I've heard that the Radeon GPUs have sometimes had trouble with the drivers not working properly.   I'm curious if this is still an issue with the newer cards and how much of a headache it is to deal with so I can decide if I wanna stick with it or go with one of the Intel cards. 

Congrats on making your first build,

First thing first, Ryzen is the line of AMD CPUs. AMD's GPU line is Radeon RX. And for the money RX 5700 XT is pretty solid. And yes, that is generally the case for AMD... There driver support is lacking. It has gotten a little better in the last 2-3 years. But there competitor, Nvidia, Pushes out drivers out every 2-3 weeks compared to there 1-2 months.

AMD is really good at budget builds. the 5700 XT is amazing for price/performance.

20 hours ago, Squanchy said:

First thing first, Ryzen is the line of AMD CPUs. AMD's GPU line is Radeon RX.

Fixed

20 hours ago, Squanchy said:

And for the money RX 5700 XT is pretty solid. And yes, that is generally the case for AMD... There driver support is lacking. It has gotten a little better in the last 2-3 years. But there competitor, Nvidia, Pushes out drivers out every 2-3 weeks compared to there 1-2 months.

So the only real problem is just how often they are put out and not with them not working properly?

On 11/3/2019 at 8:40 AM, K0rN b4LL said:

So the only real problem is just how often they are put out and not with them not working properly?

Their drivers are comparably stable to Nvidia's drivers. There were a few early issues due to using a completely new architecture in the 5700 series, but that has almost completely been fixed. (and in about the same amount of time it takes Nvidia to do the same with their new GPU architectures)

The "AMD drivers are shit" stuff is severely blown out of proportion, and not at all true.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

I agree with the above post. Been running an R9 390 for several years & I'd love to have Radeon's driver pack work Nvidia hardware. 

I like that AMD includes overclock, diagnostics, game profiles & their ReLive all in one package.

With Nvidia, you need the control panel (which I have to get through the Microsoft store because the DCH drivers don't include it), then GFE for game profiles & streaming/recording (and all those settings can only be accessed thru the overlay), then another app for overclock, and possibly one more for diagnostics (depending on which overclock app you got). 

And for some reason, with my new RTX 2060, I have a Display Configure icon in the taskbar showing me what apps are running on which GPU - yet I only have one GPU & one display. Not even an iGPU right now. But I can't get rid of it; option is greyed out.

So yeah, I'll take Radeon drivers any day. 

I have the RX 5700 (a reference card from Asrock), and I have safely flashed the bios to the XT version. I increased my 3DMark FireStrike score by 300 points. I love this card. Only issue I have is with some stuttering. It seems that from time to time I go from latency of sub 17 ms latency to 1000 ms latency, and it's annoying. But for the price, you can't beat the performance. I'm stuck with the other folks that have stutter issues with this card.

MY RIG: Corsair Crystal Series 460X Case | MSI MPG Gaming Edge Wifi X570 Board | AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | LTT Edition Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black (with attached low-noise adapters) | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 MHz CL18 RAM | Asrock Radeon RX 5700 8GB (XT VBIOS Flashed) | Crucial MX500 SATA III 500GB SSD | Corsair HD750 80+ Platinum 750 PSU | 4x Corsair SP120 Case Fans | ASUS VE 247H 24" Full HD Monitor | Logitech K345 Keyboard | Anker A7851 Vertical Mouse | Elegiant Sounbar 288929 | https://pcpartpicker.com/user/jeremygd/saved/gnXBZL