Random Black screens

hegde_atri

From time to time I get a black screen on my monitor. Doesn't lose signal but rather more like a black screen is being displayed. I tried switching from HDMI to DP and now back to HDMI and have noticed that this problem still persists. I tried updating the drivers and other stuff but still happens randomly. Like during web browsing, but never happened to me while playing games!?.still don't have a graphics card so i use the integrated graphics (Intel UHD 630) and play on 720p low settings. My monitor is 1080p @ 144Hz but since HDMI supports only upto 120Hz i put it at 120Hz and for the DisplayPort when connected I switch back to 144Hz. I read something about reducing this to a lower refresh rate so currently its at 1920*1080 @ 60Hz . Its a newly built computer around 2 weeks old. Also the cables that I am using came with the monitor. The Gamemax 850W PSU that I am using did not come with a mains cable. My monitor however came with 2, 1 UK style and the other European style. So I just used one of them for the PSU. Is this the cause because the psu cannot draw power suddenly when needed. I am really hoping that I don't have to return any of my parts. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Link to my PC parts-

2 minutes ago, hegde_atri said:

still don't have a graphics card so i use the integrated graphics (Intel UHD 630

Wait why? Is it just in shipping?

Also probably never put that power supply under a heavy load.

Does the screen come back ever or does it just stay back?

Maybe try updating your bios and doing a clean install of windows.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Psu can't be the problem because the monitor or the whole system would restart, from task manager chech cpu usage maybe it is because of cpu overusage but yoı say that it is 2 weeks old so is very unlikely to happen, maybe contact to where you bought it,

1 minute ago, Wictorian said:

Psu can't be the problem because the monitor or the whole system would restart, from task manager chech cpu usage maybe it is because of cpu overusage but yoı say that it is 2 weeks old so is very unlikely to happen, maybe contact to where you bought it,

I bought the prcosser from amazon and the mobo and PSU from ccl computers. On their website it still says the order is despatched so I am unable to return it even after contcting them

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Wait why? Is it just in shipping?

Also probably never put that power supply under a heavy load.

Does the screen come back ever or does it just stay back?

Maybe try updating your bios and doing a clean install of windows.

I dont have the budget for the graphics card right now but my dad uses this computer a bit for coding as an architect and uses Visual Studio so we went for a integrated graphics until I can get a graphics card for a cheaper price

Even if its not about signal the could be an issue with the cables, or maybe the video output on mobo, literally the problem can be everywhere

1 minute ago, hegde_atri said:

I dont have the budget for the graphics card right now but my dad uses this computer a bit for coding as an architect and uses Visual Studio so we went for a integrated graphics until I can get a graphics card for a cheaper price

You should have just gotten an R5 2600 and used the stock CPU cooler, that'd be like a $200-300 GPU right there...and that power supply is of questionable quality, but it's probably fine up to 400W at least.

For the GPU just find a used RX 470/480/570/580 on ebay or something, it'll be pretty cheap and still fine for 1080p gaming.

Just avoid the MSI armor unless it's cheap and 8GB as it's cooler is tiny.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

You should have just gotten an R5 2600 and used the stock CPU cooler, that'd be like a $200-300 GPU right there...and that power supply is of questionable quality, but it's probably fine up to 400W at least.

For the GPU just find a used RX 470/480/570/580 on ebay or something, it'll be pretty cheap and still fine for 1080p gaming.

Just avoid the MSI armor unless it's cheap and 8GB as it's cooler is tiny.

Leaving that aside do have any idea to why i keep getting random black screens during non-intensive tasks such as web-browsing??

Just now, hegde_atri said:

Leaving that aside do have any idea to why i keep getting random black screens during non-intensive tasks such as web-browsing??

Probably a windows bug as I said above

You can see what happens under Linux by making an Ubuntu USB, if there's no problems there blame windows. It's easy enough to install steam and do some stress testing or just leave it running for a while.

Could also check your windows event log

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

Wow yeah, do it!

23 minutes ago, Wictorian said:

Wait, do you have this problem while overclocking???

I had this problem before I overclocked but then I thought must be random thing so i just force restarted it and overclocked it. But then it happened agian when it was overclocked so I under swithced it back to factory clock speeds.

26 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Probably a windows bug as I said above

You can see what happens under Linux by making an Ubuntu USB, if there's no problems there blame windows. It's easy enough to install steam and do some stress testing or just leave it running for a while.

I'll try and do this as sonn as this happens again (as soon as pc has gets a black screen again. This video is really helpful Thanks a lot. Do you think I should do another clean installation of windows though??

1 minute ago, hegde_atri said:

I'll try and do this as sonn as this happens again (as soon as pc has gets a black screen again. This video is really helpful Thanks a lot. Do you think I should do another clean installation of windows though??

Try the Linux thing first to eliminate windows

Then if it works fine try reinstalling windows.

It may also be that power supply, won't know for sure without swapping it if you have a friend with one, or a local PC shop can just loan you one.

Spoiler