My Stirx Z370-F MB put my 9900KF on 1.7v

Hello techy people! 

I have a Strix z370-F motherboard with an i7 8700 which runs ok and the voltages are sane, ranging from 0.8v to 1.25v.

I've recently got a 9900KF and after a bios update (Version 2401 2019/07/18) i've installed the CPU and used their BIOS wizard to tune it.

After i booted windows i was shocked to see that it was pushing 1.7v on idle and 1.5v under load.

I quickly did a reboot back into BIOS and reset everything to default.

Booting back into windows and checking the voltages, VID was hovering around 1.5v still, but not going higher. I thought that it was odd but since it was the default i left it that way.

After a couple of days of gaming, my windows had BSOD out of nowhere. Trying to start it, the BIOS would post, but windows would BSOD immediately. 

I've tried to reinstall windows but the installer crashed too, I even tried an Ubuntu live CD but that didn't work either.

After reinstalling my old CPU everything went back to normal and the voltages were ok again.

Have you seen this before?

Do you have any advice?

I'll RMA the CPU and get a replacement, how do i prevent this from happening again?

Yes. Had a brain fart and left vcore on auto - 1.6v on my 9700K. Not for days though. Try clearing CMOS. and only set XMP and secure boot (if you use that). If clearing cmos isn't working remove battery for 5 mins.

SLuYkiTRAzjnSrzj_setting_000_1_90_end_500.jpg

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT with custom 3D printed AIO mount, X62 | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15

8 minutes ago, Legraphista said:

After i booted windows i was shocked to see that it was pushing 1.7v on idle and 1.5v under load.

what clockspeeds?

and is it a locked multiplier?

29 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Yes. Had a brain fart and left vcore on auto - 1.6v on my 9700K. Not for days though. Try clearing CMOS. and only set XMP and secure boot (if you use that). If clearing cmos isn't working remove battery for 5 mins.

I did reset the bios a couple of times, but the auto values for the voltages never came down below 1.5v. 

What would be a stable and safe value to use and more important, why isn't it the default value? ?

26 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:
35 minutes ago, Legraphista said:

what clockspeeds?

and is it a locked multiplier?

It was all done through the bios wizard, i didn't pay much attention to the fine details. I've opened HWMonitor after booting and saw the huge VID/VCORE values and immediately rebooted and reset bios to defaults.

11 minutes ago, Legraphista said:

It was all done through the bios wizard, i didn't pay much attention to the fine details. I've opened HWMonitor after booting and saw the huge VID/VCORE values and immediately rebooted and reset bios to defaults.

if it was all for a moment, you should on paper be fine, even tho under allcore locked multiplier overclocking its considered lethal voltage. 

12 minutes ago, Legraphista said:

What would be a stable and safe value to use and more important, why isn't it the default value? ?

usually allcore overclocks likes to stay below 1,4v. tho note that is allcore manual multiplier overclocking. certain bossting algortythms like the sort intel uses to achieve 5ghz boost on some CPUs or PB on AMD can use more voltage safely. 

7 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:
21 minutes ago, Legraphista said:

if it was all for a moment, you should on paper be fine, even tho under allcore locked multiplier overclocking its considered lethal voltage. 

On paper yes, it was ok for a short while. After resetting to defaults the system was stable, but while playing a particular game (which usually pegs one core to 100%) for a couple of hours the system crashed and never recovered, which leads me to believe that the CPU has been damaged in some way.

When i get a replacement, should i manually set the voltage to 1.3v or 1.35v instead of auto to prevent this from happening?

1 minute ago, Legraphista said:

When i get a replacement, should i manually set the voltage to 1.3v or 1.35v instead of auto to prevent this from happening?

just dont tweak. enable perhaps the automatic known as: intel multicore enhancement. which just unlocks the TDP and essentially does a 5ghz overclock. 

also id look at testing the dead CPU by using a 1,35v and 3ghz clockspeed. you might have degraded the CPU. that test would just to see if the CPU actually works or if its something else. 

7 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

just dont tweak. enable perhaps the automatic known as: intel multicore enhancement. which just unlocks the TDP and essentially does a 5ghz overclock. 

What should i do if the auto defaults still yield high voltage (1.5v and around)

34 minutes ago, Legraphista said:

What should i do if the auto defaults still yield high voltage (1.5v and around)

Dont use auto when it comes to overclocking and voltage.