First Build

DadaDa

I have built machines before for at an old job back in 2013 but never for myself.  It has been a while!

Background, I used to do 3d design and sound design.  Nothing professional, more of a personal hobby. I was thinking of getting back into it, but my current machine is an old 2009 gen 2 MacPro...I primary used Blender for modeling and garage band for music. I need a beefier system and wanted to try building one myself.  Windows 10 is fine for me..

Any critiques on the below parts list would be great.  I'm wanting to focus on the above (3d and audio ), with a splash of gaming....

Thanks in advanced!

13 minutes ago, DadaDa said:

I have built machines before for at an old job back in 2013 but never for myself.  It has been a while!

Background, I used to do 3d design and sound design.  Nothing professional, more of a personal hobby. I was thinking of getting back into it, but my current machine is an old 2009 gen 2 MacPro...I primary used Blender for modeling and garage band for music. I need a beefier system and wanted to try building one myself.  Windows 10 is fine for me..

Any critiques on the below parts list would be great.  I'm wanting to focus on the above (3d and audio ), with a splash of gaming....

Thanks in advanced!

I like what you have. Two things. 

You could find a way to get windows cheaper ( like i did) and put the money towards the 2600x instead of the 2600. 

I would highly recommend the Fractal Design meshify C. I put my B450 Tomahawk in there, it is a tight fit, but cable management for the meshify c is second to none. 

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xFK29G

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($169.89 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($88.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Asus Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($142.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($106.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($94.00 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($42.49 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card  ($429.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($98.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: MSI Optix MAG341CQ 34.0" 3440x1440 100 Hz Monitor  ($419.00 @ B&H) 
Total: $1683.21
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-27 14:38 EDT-0400

My life

I would remove the cpu cooler and upgrade the cpu to the 3600. it comes with a cooler in the box and is faster.

the thermal compound is not required. (get it only if you want to). the cpu cooler will have the paste pre-applied.

the power supply is a little expensive (its overkill for your system).

if you really want an MSI mobo (i prefer asus), buy the ones which have MAX in the name. those are newer and support ryzen 3600. (only do this if you change the cpu to the 3600).

4 minutes ago, PurplDrank said:

You could find a way to get windows cheaper ( like i did) and put the money towards the 2600x instead of the 2600. 

why the f*** would you buy 2600x? put that money towards the 3600. 

Edit: 2600x is a worthless upgrade from 2600

I would suggest a more recent generation of cpu. Also more powerful.

AMD stock coolers are reasonably good.

Get a 2 x 16GB memory kit. It leaves two slots open for a future upgrade. Also avoids some potential issues with dual channel and XMP profiles.

Consider an inexpensive NVMe ssd. Faster than SATA III.

Focus G cases have acrylic windows. Consider instead something like the Meshify C with a tempered glass window.

G3 psu have some issues with lower protections. Consider instead the quieter RMX.

Unless you need some of the features in the Pro version, Windows Home is sufficient.

Optical drives are not usually needed these days.

Consider a 3840x2160 monitor rather than two 1980x1080. Provides a slightly larger desktop on one monitor.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($234.29 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($111.99 @ B&H) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($149.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($94.00 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Video Card  ($499.99 @ Best Buy) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full 32/64-bit  ($119.04 @ HP) 
Monitor: LG 27UD58-B 27.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz Monitor  ($279.00 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1678.28
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-27 16:11 EDT-0400

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

3 hours ago, Saksham said:

why the f*** would you buy 2600x? put that money towards the 3600. 

Edit: 2600x is a worthless upgrade from 2600

Because he wants a last gen? Just because ypu wouldnt do it doesnt mean he shouldnt. Different strokes for different folks. 

Anyways, an MSI B450 Tomahawk will be perfectly fine for a 3600 or an 3600x. The Asus maxes are a little more expensive, unless he wants to go 3700x, 3800x or 3900 the b450 tomahawk is fine. In your words "why the f*** would should he go with the more expensive mobo"

Thanks all for the responses.  I'm fine upgrading to the 3600 processor/ MB.  It would probably be better in the long run.  However  A few questions:

1)  the cpu and board on  the pcpart picker site gives an incompatibility error (see below). Is this due to the CPUs being so new, or is this something I should be concerned about?

Warning!Some AMD B450 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Matisse CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.

2)  If I remove the optical drive, how do I install the OS?

3)  What is a cheaper way of purchasing Windows 10?

Thanks again!

8 minutes ago, DadaDa said:

Warning!Some AMD B450 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Matisse CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.

the tomahawk doesn't need a CPU for a BIOS update so it's fine. or just get the newer MAX variant which is updated and has a larger BIOS chip for a couple dollars more.

9 minutes ago, DadaDa said:

2)  If I remove the optical drive, how do I install the OS?

3)  What is a cheaper way of purchasing Windows 10?

burn windows on a USB drive and boot using that. you can get windows from ebay from a few dollars.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W