Why my CPU run at higher clockspeed without overclock?

Go to solution Solved by SpaceGhostC2C,
1 minute ago, iemniugnep said:

I see, so in that case mean, there are no reason to OC if I cannot OC it over 4.2 right?

Not really. It depends on what you are trying to achieve, but boost clocks typically work on a heat/power basis, meaning that the clocks will be highest when only one cores is used, while all-core boost will be somewhat lower. In theory, through overclocking, you may get all cores to run at 4.2 or higher at the same time, improving multi-core speed. However, if you can't get past of, say, 4.0, then it may still be an improvement over 3.6 when all cores are used, but for programs using just one or two cores you may actually have lower performance (as 4.0<4.2).

My understanding is that Adobe products typically don't take advantage of that many cores, so running a few of them as fast as possible is the best way to improve performance. In that case, you are good as you are, unless your CPU can clock substantially higher through OC.

Hi,

This is my first post. The reason I post because I am very curious and cannot really just search and find the answer related to this.

As the title of the topic, my CPU is Ryzen 5 3600, motherboard is MSI B450 Tomahawk Max, GPU  RX570.

The situation is I do not do any overclock as far as I know, I have tried but seem to be troublesome and I just feel waste of time so I stay with 3.6ghz as default.

My main work is using Premier Pro for 4K editing so CPU always spike up to max but max is around 4,000 instead of 3600.

Additional is I run 4K editing with only 1/4 or 1/8 depends, but it is already not smooth with 60fps. I think I may just need more thread on my CPU or really just OC it to 4.2... but that's for later.

So I just want to know is it normal, I do have no concern but I just want to understand it.

Thank you all,

Capture.JPG

I think Its the amd boost clock or whatever its called

The 3.6 Ghz clock is the base clock. If placed under stress and there is thermal headroom, the boost clock kicks in and can push it to 4.2 Ghz without any manual overclock.

I see, so in that case mean, there are no reason to OC if I cannot OC it over 4.2 right?

1 minute ago, iemniugnep said:

Not really. It depends on what you are trying to achieve, but boost clocks typically work on a heat/power basis, meaning that the clocks will be highest when only one cores is used, while all-core boost will be somewhat lower. In theory, through overclocking, you may get all cores to run at 4.2 or higher at the same time, improving multi-core speed. However, if you can't get past of, say, 4.0, then it may still be an improvement over 3.6 when all cores are used, but for programs using just one or two cores you may actually have lower performance (as 4.0<4.2).

My understanding is that Adobe products typically don't take advantage of that many cores, so running a few of them as fast as possible is the best way to improve performance. In that case, you are good as you are, unless your CPU can clock substantially higher through OC.

3 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Thank you so much, It's very clear for me now. 
So I decide to OC my CPU just to 4.2 and now 4k60fps is a lot smoother at 1/4.