Kraken G12 + 2070 super

Sorenson

Does anyone have any experience using the Kraken G12? My EVGA 2070 Super XC Gaming gets loud as hell so I was considering getting this to cool the card. I have a spare H80 iV2 that I would use with it to cool my GPU.

I did this mod to my Zotac RTX 2070 Super Twin fan last week. Paired the G12 with a Corsair H50 I had lying around. The Kraken G12 doesn't come with much to cool VRMs or the memory, just that fan. I'd recommend grabbing some copper heatsinks and/or aluminum heatsinks to cool the memory and VRMs. I used the copper for the memory and the tiny aluminum heatsinks for the VRMs. Only deviation from the included instructions were that the RTX 2070S uses the "A" brackets, not the "N" brackets.

Not happy with my radiator placement, but it cannot physically reach anywhere else in my case. Performance is fantastic though. Ambient temperature is around 24C, and I'm idling at or below 40C. Load temperatures are in the 60-70C range. Most importantly, it's dead quiet the entire time. In the time since I've taken the picture (below) I've added Thermal Grizzly thermal pads to the back and reapplied the backplate, and added a 120mm Phanteks PH-F120MP fan for a push/pull config on the rad. 

G12_2070Stwin.JPG

@SPARTAN VI thanks for the tips! I built my pc in the evolv shiv and it was kind of a huge mistake. I’m just looking for ways to get my GPU to quiet down while not cooking itself.

I did this mod too, whilst the heatsinks on the VRMs and memory etc do help (you can get a special thermally conductive glue to stick them on) as its more surface area to cool them, it isn't actually necessary to do this. Mine were fine and I decided not to do this mod after JayzTwoCents and GamersNexus (not this kit) did this and found that they were warmer than with the stock cooler but well below any even mildly dangerous levels (I believe in TechJesus). I will mention that I did change the fan to a Noctua NF-B9 Redux so my fan was different. It will improve thermals only slightly but will be a lot quiter as the stock fan is loud.

3:55 on this video shows a different mod but using a method to cool these components with the glue/heatsink.

JayzTwoCents:

I can't remember which video it was but pretty sure it was one of these 2. He does exactly what we did but mounted it himself and saw that fans on this area cooled things fine without heatsinks:

Hope this helps!

@Deuteronomy93 thanks for all the great info. I tried undervolting my GPU last night and it still hits 80c and is loud in my case. Guess I’m heading to microcenter to pick up the kraken g12 ?

2 hours ago, Sorenson said:

@Deuteronomy93 thanks for all the great info. I tried undervolting my GPU last night and it still hits 80c and is loud in my case. Guess I’m heading to microcenter to pick up the kraken g12 ?

loud? you sure its not the fans? your case isnt the greatest airflow wise. how is the temps with the case panel off? 

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

59 minutes ago, hollyh88 said:

loud? you sure its not the fans? your case isnt the greatest airflow wise. how is the temps with the case panel off? 

It’s definitely the GPU. While running a stress test I unplugged all the other fans and it’s the GPU noise. With the side panels off and undervolted the GPU hits 78c with the panels on it gets to 81-82c

Any ideas how they're measuring memory temperature? Would like to try some before/after tests myself. 

1 hour ago, Sorenson said:

It’s definitely the GPU. While running a stress test I unplugged all the other fans and it’s the GPU noise. With the side panels off and undervolted the GPU hits 78c with the panels on it gets to 81-82c

i meant the gpu fans ^^ that there isnt something wrong there. 

your gpu certainly has issues. since the card should be around 70-75c. without undervolting. and the db should be around 38 ish 

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

25 minutes ago, hollyh88 said:

i meant the gpu fans ^^ that there isnt something wrong there. 

your gpu certainly has issues. since the card should be around 70-75c. without undervolting. and the db should be around 38 ish 

That’s what it is outside of the case, the problem is the cpu AIO is right below it and blows hot air right into the GPU. The entire layout of the case is idiotic. I’m going to eventually swap my build into the streacom da2 or Mcase N1. I’m just waiting until around Christmas time.

Forgot to mention, I even have the air side panel for the GPU, which barely helps.

2 hours ago, Sorenson said:

That’s what it is outside of the case, the problem is the cpu AIO is right below it and blows hot air right into the GPU. The entire layout of the case is idiotic. I’m going to eventually swap my build into the streacom da2 or Mcase N1. I’m just waiting until around Christmas time.

i think that a better case will really help with the situation. so before you do something stupid like slapping a liquid cooler on it wait. 
my temps were also pretty high on my previous case a sharkoon t3 orso with one front and 1 back fan. my current case has 3 front fans and 1 back fan. my cpu never even goes above 55c unless i fully load it with cinebench then it hits max 70. and my gpu hits 72. previously on my previous case it was around 76 degrees for my cpu and about 81 for my gpu while gaming. so max temps have seriously dropped with a very good airflow case. 

i mean cases like yours look good but they suuuuck performance wise. unless you would water cool it all. 

oh and also your aio cooler. really get it somewhere else. xD it doesnt help if it blows hot air on your gpu. which is probably causing the thermals to go up AND due to the air hitting it the fans sounding crazy loud. because they shouldnt be loud.

PC: 

@hollyh88 that’s probably the better bet. I convinced my self that the air side panels would fix all of its issues, but it ended up not really making a difference. Thanks for all your suggestions. 

9 hours ago, SPARTAN VI said:

Any ideas how they're measuring memory temperature? Would like to try some before/after tests myself. 

I cant remember fully, whether it was HWinfo etc but it'll say in the videos :)

• 5 months later...
On 10/26/2019 at 11:31 PM, SPARTAN VI said:

I did this mod to my Zotac RTX 2070 Super Twin fan last week. Paired the G12 with a Corsair H50 I had lying around. The Kraken G12 doesn't come with much to cool VRMs or the memory, just that fan. I'd recommend grabbing some copper heatsinks and/or aluminum heatsinks to cool the memory and VRMs. I used the copper for the memory and the tiny aluminum heatsinks for the VRMs. Only deviation from the included instructions were that the RTX 2070S uses the "A" brackets, not the "N" brackets.

Not happy with my radiator placement, but it cannot physically reach anywhere else in my case. Performance is fantastic though. Ambient temperature is around 24C, and I'm idling at or below 40C. Load temperatures are in the 60-70C range. Most importantly, it's dead quiet the entire time. In the time since I've taken the picture (below) I've added Thermal Grizzly thermal pads to the back and reapplied the backplate, and added a 120mm Phanteks PH-F120MP fan for a push/pull config on the rad. 

G12_2070Stwin.JPG

I'm doing this mod on this exact card, did you notice if the hole in the faceplate was big enough to leave the faceplate on? 

On 4/26/2020 at 6:10 PM, SPARTAN VI said:

@AlpacaTheHacker faceplate? Can you clarify what you mean, or do you mean the backplate? 

Sorry, just took mine apart to install the g12, noticed that there's no faceplate, sorry bout That 😊 did you attach the io plate to the pcb again, if so how? Or did you just let the ports carry the io plate? The IO plate was screwed through and into the original cooler. 

Also Also, how did you reattach the backplate, there's nothing for the screw to hold onto. 

@AlpacaTheHacker I think the IO plate can reattach to the card without the stock cooler, because I definitely have it attached (as seen above). I'm just not sure where it's screwed in because I'd have to unplug everything and crawl under the desk to do it. 

The metal backplate cannot reattach without the cooler, so it's literally resting on the card with gravity and thermal pads directly over the VRAM and VRM areas of the PCB. 

41 minutes ago, SPARTAN VI said:

@AlpacaTheHacker I think the IO plate can reattach to the card without the stock cooler, because I definitely have it attached (as seen above). I'm just not sure where it's screwed in because I'd have to unplug everything and crawl under the desk to do it. 

The metal backplate cannot reattach without the cooler, so it's literally resting on the card with gravity and thermal pads directly over the VRAM and VRM areas of the PCB. 

Okay 😊 thanks, I think I'll plop a few screws in the holes of the backplate to keep it in place 😊

2 hours ago, AlpacaTheHacker said:

Okay 😊 thanks, I think I'll plop a few screws in the holes of the backplate to keep it in place 😊

Good idea, it would at least make it easy to align it correctly. Thinking Ill try to 3D print some simple plastic standoffs with the ends beveled to slide into those holes. 

4 hours ago, SPARTAN VI said:

Good idea, it would at least make it easy to align it correctly. Thinking Ill try to 3D print some simple plastic standoffs with the ends beveled to slide into those holes. 

Fancy 😊 upon further inspection there is a faceplate that you can take off of the cooler, but the cutout for the block is too small... Now I'm thinking of dremeling that cutout larger to use the faceplate again. But that's a voided warranty 😂