Games just keep crashing and I have no idea why

Vek

So heres whats going on. I've had this pc for a bit now but with a large majority of my games, they crash, and I haven't been able to pinpoint what the cause is. And the games are fairly big titles such as: The Witch 3,The Outer Worlds, Subnautica, Rainbow Six Siege(occasionally), Insurgency Sandstorm, and some more. These crashes never cause me to blue screen or result in any shut downs but rather the game freezing up and then closing. I also occasionally get a whole bunch of weird colorful squares popping up across my screen(pictures provided down below). I thought it might be my graphics card because it was used when I bought it but when I run gpu stress tests like fur mark, it performs like a champ. I've also run some cpu tests as well. I'm not sure whats going on, I've been on forums so many times and I have no idea, if you could help that would be amazing and you'd deserve extra internet points.

Some Steps I've already taken:

removed old drivers completely and installed the most up to date ones

wiped and reinstalled my OS

reinstalled games multiple times

verified the games cache if its on steam

System Specs:         (nothing has ever been overclocked)

Intel Core i9 9700k @ 3.6Ghz (don't know if this helps but cpu core voltage is at 1.039)

RoG Strix Z390-H Gaming Mobo Bios ver.2401

2x8gb GSkill ddr4 @ 2133 MHz ram

Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080TI(Was used when bought, I was told it had been used for crypto mining but for a very short time and was never overclocked or ran at a high/lower voltage then normal)

Samsung 970 Evo nvme m.2 SSD

EVGA supernova 750 g3 750w gold power supply

Windows 10 home x64

Screenshot (22).png

witcher3Crash.txt

There is no “reliable” GPU test, the only test is if actual games work. Everything else is synthetics and they don't represent real life usage, so  you can't necessarily rule out the GPU which is where I would start by underclocking it, like -50core -100mem and see what happens. MSI Afterburner is prolly the most straightforward tool to do this.

Alternatively in order of likelihood:
Make sure your powerstrip works properly / use the pc directly from the wall.

Disable antivirus and similar software and also make sure you don't run any emulator or such, believe it or not they can cause system freezes if being badly enough written and, like in your crash log, refuse access to certain resources for other programs.
And yes, daemon tools and similar crapware can cause this too.

You might did enable your RAM’s XMP profile in the BIOS - disable it and check for crashes.
Also while there, make sure that the BCLK is set to 100.

Overheating, while it sounds unreasonable, it can happen if the heat conduction is just shitty enough. Furmark makes basically no use of GPU boost (usually) and hence gives the card more time to react and to downlock to keep temps in check. Games on the other hand…

Again I would suggest afterburner so you can keep an eye on the temps & clockspeeds, both mem & core.

Lastly I would just try a different PCI-E slot on the motherboard.
As this would also immedaitly rule out bad GPU seating.

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

Amdahls law > multicore CPU.

12 hours ago, Nord said:

There is no “reliable” GPU test, the only test is if actual games work. Everything else is synthetics and they don't represent real life usage, so  you can't necessarily rule out the GPU which is where I would start by underclocking it, like -50core -100mem and see what happens. MSI Afterburner is prolly the most straightforward tool to do this.

Alternatively in order of likelihood:
Make sure your powerstrip works properly / use the pc directly from the wall.

Disable antivirus and similar software and also make sure you don't run any emulator or such, believe it or not they can cause system freezes if being badly enough written and, like in your crash log, refuse access to certain resources for other programs.
And yes, daemon tools and similar crapware can cause this too.

You might did enable your RAM’s XMP profile in the BIOS - disable it and check for crashes.
Also while there, make sure that the BCLK is set to 100.

Overheating, while it sounds unreasonable, it can happen if the heat conduction is just shitty enough. Furmark makes basically no use of GPU boost (usually) and hence gives the card more time to react and to downlock to keep temps in check. Games on the other hand…

Again I would suggest afterburner so you can keep an eye on the temps & clockspeeds, both mem & core.

Lastly I would just try a different PCI-E slot on the motherboard.
As this would also immedaitly rule out bad GPU seating.

@nord thank you for the advice! I'll try it all out right when I get home

@Nord underclocking my gpu worked! Thank you so much! I am curious if this means I have a failing graphics card or not

I had a similar issue with a 660 ti a few years back and the cause was a BCLK overclock, just a minor one of 102 or 103, but it was enough.
So that could be a cause for it.

It could also mean that the GPU is broken or rather “degraded” to such a high degree that it simply can't hold it's default clocks anymore. This could possibly be fixed with increasing the voltage (again suggestion afterburner for it - but not all cards allow this though).

Could also be that your PSU is too weak/old/”broke”. A 750w should have no issues running your system but faults can show up anytime for no reason.
So if you can, try a different PSU.

Though personally I would lean towards the first two causes. Mainly the second one cus mining. Unless you trust the seller to have been 100% honest with you.

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

Amdahls law > multicore CPU.