Distrubution Amp, Powered Spliter or Preamp?

Donut417

Im looking to upgrade my OTA setup. I currently have this:https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-1byone-Amplified-Amplifier-Freeview/dp/B00IF70QCW/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1APBHGBK39NRJ&keywords=onebyone+antenna&qid=1571966028&sprefix=Onebyone%2Caps%2C189&sr=8-4

From the research I have done, these flat antennas are SHIT. I get quite a few channels for it being a shit antenna. BUT my channels are not always as stable as I like. I was looking at buying this: https://store.antennasdirect.com/ClearStream-2MAX-Indoor-Outdoor-TV-Antenna.html, Walmart has it for like $80. BUT the new job has perks, like Thanksgiving and Black Friday off with pay. So I might wait for Black Friday, we will end up at Walmart and see if the price is any better. That being said, Im wanting to split the signal to two devices. Which is the reason for the upgrade. I dont think the current antenna could do it. I have an HD Homerun that is managed by my Plex server, but its litterally right next to my TV. So I wanted a connection to the TV as well. The HDHR works, but with 3 people in the house, it sucks sometimes because either we have to sacerfice a recording session or I cant watch TV, until I know I have an extra tuner. 

My Zipcode is 48174, and it seems like Most of the channels I give a shit about are coming out of Southfeild MI, at about 30 ish miles away. To be clear, this new antenna will be used indoors. At least for now, because I have no network infustructure on the first floor and I have only one coax leading to my room and its for the cable modem. So until I fish a cable somewhere I have to use it indoors. I figure maybe 6 feet, give or take a foot for the coax run to the HD homerun and TV. I figure Id use RG6, the curent antenna has some kind of thin ass coax. So I want to use proper coax. 

So would I need a preamp, Distrubution amp or a Powered Splitter? Or can I get buy with a passive spliter? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Bump

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

• 2 weeks later...

My over the air cable tv knowledge is pretty limited. I’d go with a passive splitter first especially if you are already changing antennas.  Keep it cheap. If passive doesn’t work consider returning for powered splitter or adding a pre. Also if you can move the antenna to get better signal strength do that. I would imagine signal strength on the exterior of the building would be best.