I'm about to buy the parts for my first gaming PC. Any tips or suggestions?

ExoStealth
I've been editing this build for about 6 months now, and I think I'm finally ready to buy. Keep in mind I live in Australia so everything costs twice as much.
I'm studying computer science at uni, so its mainly built for productivity, which I've found that the new AMD generation is good for. As well as this, I'll be doing a bit of game development using unreal, so I need to work with rendering, applying shaders and 3D modelling. And of course I'll be doing some gaming on the side. I'm hoping to get at least 60fps, preferably something like 80 or higher at 1080p. I already have a 144Hz monitor so I won't be bottlenecking. I'm not intending on adding any additional or higher res monitors for the time being.

This build in AUS is currently around $2000 (including some cheap peripherals - mouse and keyboard - that I haven't listed here because I don't care too much about them)

What do you guys think? Any tips or changes you think I should make? Is there any obvious bottlenecking issues here?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4***
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB DDR4-3000
Main Storage: WD Blue 500GB M.2-2280 SSD
Additional Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD
GPU: Zotac RTX 2060
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze
Case: Fractal Meshify C ATX
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND
Fans: Deepcool RF 120 3 in 1 (120mm)

***I don't have an old CPU so I'm not able to update the BIOS of a motherboard. This means I need an X570 chipset so no updating is needed. I know there are some motherboards that can update the BIOS through a flash drive, but all of those are more expensive than this one.

Also I know the case is too expensive but I'm trying to get a black and white theme and aesthetics are everything lmao

I would buy faster RAM, at least 3200 (especially considering you are going to run Zen 2). It's not night and day difference, but if the price difference is less than 20 AUD, I would get 2x8GB 3200.

I would probably get something like this, which way cheaper than 2000 AUD. You could get a 2080 or get a better motherboard to reach 2000 AUD if you want to use your whole budget.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

Several B450 boards are coming with updated BIOS pre-installed, like the MSI boards with MAX as a suffix, and several others can be updated without a CPU even being installed, so you can save some real money there to get faster RAM. 3600 is absolutely the sweet spot and not that expensive, 3800mhz is doable with a little infinity fabric overclocking and they love it, but not as much as they love low latency, so get a CAS16 kit.

Hell, I've got a little time, I'll be back in a little while with a PcPP list.

49 minutes ago, Nocte said:

I would buy faster RAM, at least 3200 (especially considering you are going to run Zen 2). It's not night and day difference, but if the price difference is less than 20 AUD, I would get 2x8GB 3200.

I would probably get something like this, which way cheaper than 2000 AUD. You could get a 2080 or get a better motherboard to reach 2000 AUD if you want to use your whole budget.

The only thing is I forgot to include windows 10, which is an extra $150, which brings it up a lot. But I will consider that cheaper SSD. I also forgot to mention that I am considering overclocking so I had the CPU cooler fan included for that. Do you think the AMD stock cooler is good enough?

37 minutes ago, RobFRaschke said:

Several B450 boards are coming with updated BIOS pre-installed, like the MSI boards with MAX as a suffix, and several others can be updated without a CPU even being installed, so you can save some real money there to get faster RAM. 3600 is absolutely the sweet spot and not that expensive, 3800mhz is doable with a little infinity fabric overclocking and they love it, but not as much as they love low latency, so get a CAS16 kit.

Hell, I've got a little time, I'll be back in a little while with a PcPP list.

As I said in another comment, I forgot to mention that I am considering overclocking, so I'd rather get an X chipset motheboard. And I have looked at those other boards that don't need a CPU to update the BIOS, but most of them are more expensive than this X570 motherboard, such as the ASUS ROG Crosshair series or the MSI Gaming M7. But if you know one that it is cheaper then I'm definitely interested. And thanks, appreciate it!

6 minutes ago, RobFRaschke said:

Thanks for taking the time to do this, appreciate it. I just commented on your previous reply before, my only issue is I want to overclock so the motherboard needs to be an X chipset (I explain more in the other reply). Is the AMD stock cooler good enough for overclocking?

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it, this is my first build so I'm not super experienced

1 minute ago, ExoStealth said:

Thanks for taking the time to do this, appreciate it. I just commented on your previous reply before, my only issue is I want to overclock so the motherboard needs to be an X chipset (I explain more in the other reply). Is the AMD stock cooler good enough for overclocking?

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it, this is my first build so I'm not super experienced

You can overclock on B450. It was only the A series you can't overclock on. The AMD stock cooler that comes with the 3700X is good enough to start, then throw a Dark Rock Pro 4 or Noctua NHD12 in a couple months when you want to push, but keep in mind Ryzen 3000 series doesn't overclock well. In single or low thread applications, you're actually better off just enabling PBO and cranking the PPT, TDC and EDC in the bios so temperature is the primary constraint.

7 minutes ago, ExoStealth said:

As I said in another comment, I forgot to mention that I am considering overclocking, so I'd rather get an X chipset motheboard. And I have looked at those other boards that don't need a CPU to update the BIOS, but most of them are more expensive than this X570 motherboard, such as the ASUS ROG Crosshair series or the MSI Gaming M7. But if you know one that it is cheaper then I'm definitely interested. And thanks, appreciate it!

There are a lot of X series boards that have worse VRM design than the best B450 boards, like the one I included, which was also $70 cheaper or there about. X570 boards do across the board(pun intended) have good or better VRMs, but that doesn't make it worth almost 50% more $$$.

3 minutes ago, RobFRaschke said:

You can overclock on B450. It was only the A series you can't overclock on. The AMD stock cooler that comes with the 3700X is good enough to start, then throw a Dark Rock Pro 4 or Noctua NHD12 in a couple months when you want to push, but keep in mind Ryzen 3000 series doesn't overclock well. In single or low thread applications, you're actually better off just enabling PBO and cranking the PPT, TDC and EDC in the bios so temperature is the primary constraint.

Thanks so much for that, I didn't realise B450s could overclock, that will save me heaps of money. And yeah, I'll start off using that stock cooler, good idea. I don't understand any of those acronyms, but once I build the PC I'll start exploring how overclocking works lmao

1 minute ago, RobFRaschke said:

There are a lot of X series boards that have worse VRM design than the best B450 boards, like the one I included, which was also $70 cheaper or there about. X570 boards do across the board(pun intended) have good or better VRMs, but that doesn't make it worth almost 50% more $$$.

sweet as, I'll have a look into that one you suggested

1 minute ago, ExoStealth said:

Thanks so much for that, I didn't realise B450s could overclock, that will save me heaps of money. And yeah, I'll start off using that stock cooler, good idea. I don't understand any of those acronyms, but once I build the PC I'll start exploring how overclocking works lmao

Watch the Gamers Nexus videos on Precision Boost 2, Ryzen 3000 series overclocking, and Precision Boost Overdrive. Then watch them a couple more times. I watched them each at least twice to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I've been overclocking since Socket A, and really on my Athlon XP system, including chilled water, and Ryzen 3000 is an entirely different animal than any other CPUs to date. The comparisons between Ryzen 3000 overclocking and GPU overclocking are entirely accurate.

Just now, RobFRaschke said:

Watch the Gamers Nexus videos on Precision Boost 2, Ryzen 3000 series overclocking, and Precision Boost Overdrive. Then watch them a couple more times. I watched them each at least twice to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I've been overclocking since Socket A, and really on my Athlon XP system, including chilled water, and Ryzen 3000 is an entirely different animal than any other CPUs to date. The comparisons between Ryzen 3000 overclocking and GPU overclocking are entirely accurate.

will do, cheers. Thanks for taking the time for all of this