Windows 7 on a HP Stream 11

SPCMarion
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,
18 hours ago, SPCMarion said:

Hey, I am having trouble putting Windows 7 on my HP Stream 11 (model d010wm) because everytime I try to install it, it tells me it is missing drivers when I get to the install screen. Could someone help me either fix or get passed this.

Your system has been designed for Windows 8 and 10.

Windows 7 doesn't have full UEFI support like Windows 8 has. Unless you have a compatibility mode in the UEFI setup screen to emulate the old BIOS, it may cause you problems, including failing to boot. But i guess you will see after your issue.

Your issue is perfectly well explained in the error dialog box that you are getting. You are missing your SATA controller drivers so it can't detect your drive(s). Windows 7 doesn't have support for the SATA controller. What you need to do is insert a USB flash drive or CD/DVD with the extracted SATA controller or chipset (which includes SATA controller drivers inside), hit the Browse button, and pick the right *.inf file for your system SATA controller. Please note that Windows is not installed at this stage, it cannot run executable nor extract zip files. So that is why you need the extracted driver files. If your system sports M.2 PCIe NVMe drive, then the same applies, however, not SATA controller (as you are not using it), but rather your PCIe M.2 NVMe drive driver itself.

Hey, I am having trouble putting Windows 7 on my HP Stream 11 (model d010wm) because everytime I try to install it, it tells me it is missing drivers when I get to the install screen. Could someone help me either fix or get passed this.

18 minutes ago, SPCMarion said:

missing drivers

What driver?

USB 3.0?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

What driver?

USB 3.0?

I'm not sure, it doesn't say.

Just now, SPCMarion said:

I'm not sure, it doesn't say.

SO after it throws this error message, what happens?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

SO after it throws this error message, what happens?

Nothing really happens, all it does is take you back to the start of the install. I'll provide a picture of the error in a bit.

Just now, SPCMarion said:

Nothing really happens, all it does is take you back to the start of the install. I'll provide a picture of the error in a bit.

Pics are good.

In the meantime, you should try Windows 9.

All the benefits of Win10, none of the drawbacks, and the UI looks and behaves just like Win7.

I use it, and *love* it. No live tiles, no telemetry, no spying, none of that win10 BS.

stupid question, why?

Windows 7 is gonna be EOL in like 3 months

She/Her

1 minute ago, Twilight said:

stupid question, why?

Windows 7 is gonna be EOL in like 3 months

Does it matter, I'm getting a MacBook Air soon anyway, I just want Windows 7 on this PC.

20191024_001950.thumb.jpg.1c57509693b873e70b3341944a521c8a.jpg

That's what the error messages says.

"No device drivers were found. Make sure that all installation media contains the correct drivers, then click OK."

14 hours ago, SPCMarion said:

model d010wm

Well according to HP's website, it's USB 2.0. I assume you are installing Win7 from a USB stick?

What you will need to do then is to download (on a different system) all the drivers for the laptop, unpack them, then when that error pops up again, click "ok" then "browse" and point to each driver until Win7 is happy with what you have given it.

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

Well according to HP's website, it's USB 2.0. I assume you are installing Win7 from a USB stick?

What you will need to do then is to download (on a different system) all the drivers for the laptop, unpack them, then when that error pops up again, click "ok" then "browse" and point to each driver until Win7 is happy with what you have given it.

The problem is it displays no drivers at all when i press ok. It's like the computer isn't detecting any drivers what so ever.

27 minutes ago, SPCMarion said:

The problem is it displays no drivers at all when i press ok. It's like the computer isn't detecting any drivers what so ever.

And when you press "browse"? WHat happens?

6 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

It has the boot drive and the folders you usually see in a windows install.

12 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Also when I plugged in the drive into the USB 2.0 port is says ""A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing" and my laptop doesn't have a CD drive at all.

18 hours ago, SPCMarion said:

Your system has been designed for Windows 8 and 10.

Windows 7 doesn't have full UEFI support like Windows 8 has. Unless you have a compatibility mode in the UEFI setup screen to emulate the old BIOS, it may cause you problems, including failing to boot. But i guess you will see after your issue.

Your issue is perfectly well explained in the error dialog box that you are getting. You are missing your SATA controller drivers so it can't detect your drive(s). Windows 7 doesn't have support for the SATA controller. What you need to do is insert a USB flash drive or CD/DVD with the extracted SATA controller or chipset (which includes SATA controller drivers inside), hit the Browse button, and pick the right *.inf file for your system SATA controller. Please note that Windows is not installed at this stage, it cannot run executable nor extract zip files. So that is why you need the extracted driver files. If your system sports M.2 PCIe NVMe drive, then the same applies, however, not SATA controller (as you are not using it), but rather your PCIe M.2 NVMe drive driver itself.