Android 4.3 Jelly Bean Not 5.0 Key Lime Pie

According to rumor the next version of Android is still going to be named Jelly Bean and it only will be a .1 upgrade to 4.2. This makes sense considering previous rumors that there will be no "new" nexus phone and 7' tablet.

The source seems to be very legit tracing back to Google itself.

google-android-4.3-jellybean.png

This picture shows that the build number still starts with a J, so Jelly Bean and not Key Lime Pie.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/04/26/google-is-working-on-and-testing-android-4-3-its-still-jelly-bean/

really?! I was hoping these all are just rumors and Google is going to surprise all of us with new devices and Android 5.0

Whats wrong with 4.2, what more do you want?

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Usually test versions still carry the previous version's first letter and that is not changed until very close to release date, so we have no idea whether it's going to be KLP or JB. I'd honestly be surprised if whatever new version is released in GoogleIO will be a major update (similar to the jump from 3.0-4.0) and I'd rather they use version numbers which make sense, unlike iOS versions (e.g. 6.0 was a tiny update... some would say downgrade... yet the numbers would make you think otherwise).

I'm still expecting a new version of the Nexus 7, though xD, with hopefully a better display and new SOC (tegra 3 kinda sucks...)... and Babel :).

sad face... i really wanted a piece of the pie.

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

sad face... i really wanted a piece of the pie.

You'll still get the features!

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Well I don't have any problem with Jelly Bean. I preffer Google calling it 4.3 than 5.0 and having people complaining  that it's the same almost the same.

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

I don't really have a problem about the name. I just want them add new features into 4.3. :)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Hopefully the features are worthwhile.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

I think the reason they're keeping Jelly Bean is fragmentation, because most Android phones are still running Gingerbread.

I think the reason they're keeping Jelly Bean is fragmentation, because most Android phones are still running Gingerbread.

Yeah it might look better on paper if over 50% of phones are running JB... even though that's covering over a whole year of minor revisions. Then again I don't really care about the codename of the android version, the version number is usually more indicative of the differences. Either way, CyanogenMod FTW! xD.

'Jelly Bean' is simply a milestone indication. 'Most' Android phones run Gingerbread because MOST Android phones being used by consumers are from that era, and a lot of older phones are incapable of running ICS, like the HTC Desire HD. This time frame was when the popularity of Android phones exploded. 'It's like saying MOST consumer computers run Windows 7', simply because it has existed for longer.

It doesn't matter what the software number or name is, the features and improvements are what matters.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

'Jelly Bean' is simply a milestone indication. 'Most' Android phones run Gingerbread because MOST Android phones being used by consumers are from that era, and a lot of older phones are incapable of running ICS, like the HTC Desire HD. This time frame was when the popularity of Android phones exploded. 'It's like saying MOST consumer computers run Windows 7', simply because it has existed for longer.

It doesn't matter what the software number or name is, the features and improvements are what matters.

Yeah, but I know many people who never update their phones because they just couldn't be bothered or who don't own flagship phones and therefore almost never get any updates at all. just between GB and ICS they're missing a LOT of features which make android so awesome :(.

Yeah, but I know many people who never update their phones because they just couldn't be bothered or who don't own flagship phones and therefore almost never get any updates at all. just between GB and ICS they're missing a LOT of features which make android so awesome :(.

It's unfortunate that Android went the way of allowing manufacturer skins, but that's the nature of the beast when you're dealing with an open OS. Companies will do whatever that want/can to it to stand out. I don't care for Touchwiz or Sense, I LOVE stock Android. I went from a Desire HD to a Galaxy Nexus to a GS3, and I put a stock Android ROM on my GS3 within 45mins of getting it. It would have been good if Google went for the WP model where all software was to be stock Android, but oh well... It's basically the sole reason for all of the fragmentation - reliance on manufacturer rather than developer. I'll never use any other mobile OS. Android is just too good.

It's unfortunate that Android went the way of allowing manufacturer skins, but that's the nature of the beast when you're dealing with an open OS. Companies will do whatever that want/can to it to stand out. I don't care for Touchwiz or Sense, I LOVE stock Android. I went from a Desire HD to a Galaxy Nexus to a GS3, and I put a stock Android ROM on my GS3 within 45mins of getting it. It would have been good if Google went for the WP model where all software was to be stock Android, but oh well... It's basically the sole reason for all of the fragmentation - reliance on manufacturer rather than developer. I'll never use any other mobile OS. Android is just too good.

Actually that is not the sole reason. The enormous variety of hardware makes it difficult to update a wide range of phones even if they all had the same skin. Hence why most companies focus on their flagship models and forget the rest, including the previous year's flagship  :(. You can also add carrier testing for US variants, which could last months and you can understand why Google wants you to buy your phones directly from them (Nexus 4).

I would love for android devices to have the option to turn of skins, but skins such as Touchwiz and Sense are so deep I don't think it makes sense to call them skins. That's why I have CM 10.1 or AOKP running on all my android devices xD.

The most awesome thing would be if everyone had to make their skin able to turn off like on the Facebook phone. But I don't think it'll ever happen...

The most awesome thing would be if everyone had to make their skin able to turn off like on the Facebook phone. But I don't think it'll ever happen...

Like I said, skins like TW and Sense run too deep to be able to do that, they're not just launchers like FB Home, they feel more like separate forks of the OS.

Like I said, skins like TW and Sense run too deep to be able to do that, they're not just launchers like FB Home, they feel more like separate forks of the OS.

What would be possible is that you would be able to decide what ROM you would like to choose at the first boot. But still: never happening...

What would be possible is that you would be able to decide what ROM you would like to choose at the first boot. But still: never happening...

Yeah, I can imagine some people being confused over the easy mode on the gs4, and ending up using that and then wondering how other people's phone looks different.

If thaey did that I can imagine people going: "hmm, Vanilla android?? I prefer chocolate thanks..."

Yeah, I can imagine some people being confused over the easy mode on the gs4, and ending up using that and then wondering how other people's phone looks different.

If thaey did that I can imagine people going: "hmm, Vanilla android?? I prefer chocolate thanks..."

Yeah let's keep android simple. So everybody can use it. Those who want it complicated can root!

Whats wrong with 4.2, what more do you want?

I was thinking the same to be honest.

Pretty much the only thing that I'm really looking forward to is the rumored release of official dark themes for all of Google's own apps. I just installed the blacked out apk files for the market and youtube from XDA and really like them a lot.

The only other thing I miss in 4.2.1 (didn't get to update to 4.2.2, yet) is the ability to have multiple docks similar to go launcher.

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.