SX 8200 and 970 EVO MoBo Compatibility

Katarn

I might be getting one or two (or if things get complicated one of each) of these two SSDs (SX 8200 512GB and 970 EVO 250GB).

I want to put one in my old i5 build, but I'm not sure if the motherboard could support it.

It is a "glass cannon" build with mid-range CPU/GPU and everything else being as low-cost as possible. So the motherboard is Biostar H110MGC. The information I find online is inconclusive.

So, will it support either of the two NVMe SSDs listed above, and would it be reasonable to put them in an i5 / 1060 6GB build?

Thanks

what are you going to do on the pc? game? video editing? 

if you are just gaming, its not worth buying expensive drives for the extra speed. 

specs for the mobo show that it does not have m.2 slot. 

9 minutes ago, Katarn said:

H110MGC.

That motherboard seems to not have a single M.2 slot.

I edit my posts more often than not

2 minutes ago, Saksham said:

what are you going to do on the pc? game? video editing? 

if you are just gaming, its not worth buying expensive drives for the extra speed. 

specs for the mobo show that it does not have m.2 slot. 

That's just the thing. Some sources show that it does support NVMe, others are silent on the matter.

I will be giving this PC to my father, and he intends to work in Blender 3D (creating 3D assets, animating, some rendering), and gaming. He might venture into texturing as well, which would require an image editing program like Photoshop, and maybe something like Corel Draw and Adobe Page Maker for some other projects.

3 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

That motherboard seems to not have a single M.2 slot.

I saw your reply immediately after replying to Saksham. So what would you advise if it's 100% incompatible? Getting a new MoBo for that system too?

Theoretically there are PCIe slot adapters for NVMe SSDs, but if the motherboard has no M.2 slots to begin with it might not be able to use those.

I edit my posts more often than not

you dont have to get m.2

if you really do, get pcie to m.2 adapter. 

Edited by Saksham

Thank you for your replies @Saksham and @Tan3l6

I now know not to order two NVMe's right away.

Would you recommend me a good SATA SSD for that system?

Alternatively, what is the cheapest (and hopefully decent) motherboard that could support an NVMe with which I could replace the H110?

It is ok if that board requires a more recent CPU like the i5 8400 or the R5 2600. I'd be fine replacing the CPU as well.

This last one is just an idea, I don't think I will do it unless the replacement is reasonably priced for what it is, but I'm open to suggestions.

14 hours ago, Katarn said:

Thank you for your replies @Saksham and @Tan3l6

I now know not to order two NVMe's right away.

Would you recommend me a good SATA SSD for that system?

Alternatively, what is the cheapest (and hopefully decent) motherboard that could support an NVMe with which I could replace the H110?

It is ok if that board requires a more recent CPU like the i5 8400 or the R5 2600. I'd be fine replacing the CPU as well.

This last one is just an idea, I don't think I will do it unless the replacement is reasonably priced for what it is, but I'm open to suggestions.

any sata ssd will work. samsung ones are expensive, but they are very reliable and good quality. for good budget option, i think the mx500 is decent. 

there isnt much speed difference because they are all limited by sata bandwidth. 

any modern mobo will support nvme. 

Edited by Saksham

For SATA SSDs, the MX500 is killer value. I've been rocking... I think an MX300 in my mid-2012 MacBook Pro for over two years now without a single issue, they're excellent drives. The MX300 was the older version and fought the older 850 Evo, the MX500 fights the 860 Evo now. They're basically cheaper for the same performance. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch