Questions about custom cooling system.

Kodtys

Hi there!

Hope I come to the right place since Google didn't helped at all :( I got a question about my cooling Hydro Series™ H75 Liquid CPU Cooler - Corsair that I've been using on my GPU (NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 FOUNDERS EDITION) for about 2 years now.

Over the period of what time I should see a decrease in cooling performance? Meaning, Does 2 years suppose to effect the cooler by increasing the temperature under a full load from 55C to 70C? If not please tell me If I've been doing something wrong with the cooler itself,

please keep in mind that I'm cleaning the radiator often, Also no overclock ever been done on the card itself.

Also might be Important, to mount the cooler I've used kraken g12 mounting kit, 

I have not made ANY changes to the case itself. 

I've been able to keep 55C for over a year, then slowly it began to rise.

Thank you so much!

kostya.

there could be some growth inside the loop

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

55c full load? you must be joking (unless you have a very cool room). Normally it would be 65-75c even with water cooling .

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

You can check the mount. Make sure it's still tight. Remove it and change the thermal paste. If you get the same results it could be something wrong with the cooler be it either the pump or clogging/corrosion in the loop.

12 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

You can check the mount. Make sure it's still tight. Remove it and change the thermal paste. If you get the same results it could be something wrong with the cooler be it either the pump or clogging/corrosion in the loop.

First of all thank you for the tips, 

You think that 2 years of cooling can somehow damage the thermal paste? meaning usually it wont change the temps for about 3~5 years or so but ill most definitely try it anyways. Cant see any reason why not.. also the fan on the mount kit itself was not cleaned properly due issues of space.

I'll unscrew the cooler and try to clean it.

Also no one really answered about me asking how long should a cooler start being ineffective (decrease in performance)

25 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

55c full load? you must be joking (unless you have a very cool room). Normally it would be 65-75c even with water cooling .

Not usually. 55C is actually the upper limit of an average estimate. Source: My loop has my GPU at 50C under load

Anyways @Kodtys , cooler degradation can happen after variable periods of time, and is influenced by the cycling of temperatures etc.  Might be just time to get a new one. As it is an issue that has procedurally been augmented, it safe to say it's not an issue with contact but degradation.

2 minutes ago, Kodtys said:

Also no one really answered about me asking how long should a cooler start being ineffective (decrease in performance)

I assume you're referring to just liquid coolers. It really can't be said. There's no set "standard" of when they stop performing as good as day 1 it's going to vary cooler to cooler, manufacturer to manufacturer.

It can't be said for sure the cooler itself is going bad but there's only so many variables here and the cooler itself would be suspect number one.

33 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Really? My RVII (GPU, not hotspot, that hits the 90s at max voltage) sits at around 60-65C under full load and I don't have a massively overkill loop. From what I've seen of 1080s, they usually sit in the 50s on a custom loop. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Is it possible that if Im running a stress test (MSI Kombuster and FurMark) both of them at 97~99%, the max temps are 61~63 

but if I'm running metro exodus I'm in the area of 70 give or take

Ok so finally I figured out how come my temps jumped so high.

About a year ago I bought new cpu and rearranged the cables, after i turned the system my gpu cooler fans worked at 100% because they were connected tp the PSU (2fans). Since it was noisey IVe decided to connect both fans with a switch to the motherboard and it did helped.

Thing is I realized that the fans working at 20% tops no matter the temps. No matter what software I tried to control it. It seems to not care and keep spinning passivey regarding the temps.

For now Ive connected the fans back to the PSU and its 55~57 again.

But they work at full speed and pretty noisy. Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, Zando Bob said:

Really? My RVII (GPU, not hotspot, that hits the 90s at max voltage) sits at around 60-65C under full load and I don't have a massively overkill loop. From what I've seen of 1080s, they usually sit in the 50s on a custom loop. 

Out of my 5 1080’s 50c would be worse case. 

With 3 on a loop mining, I’d keep the fluid at 45c max. Going over 50c on the cards but barely. Depends on the version and bios. 

A lot more variables in an aio though. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz