Boxtron 0.5.3 released (Proton-like tool for DOS games in Steam)

Not sure if announcing open source software releases is acceptable in here - if it isn't, then I kindly ask moderators to remove the thread.

Linux gamers already know what Proton is; Boxtron works in similar manner, but is designed specifically for DOS games distributed via Steam - this has some considerable benefits when compared to running some old DOSBox build bundled with the game or running DOSBox via Wine via Proton:

• Lower input lag (compared to DOSBox inside Proton)
  • Steam features working as expected (e.g. Steam Cloud, Controller settings or recording of time played)
  • Better fullscreen support, especially on multi-monitor setups*
  • Steam Overlay working out of the box*
  • More configuration options and better defaults*
  • Automatic detection of MIDI hardware, with software synthesiser used as fallback
  • Automatic MIDI setup for supported titles (click Play and enjoy pre-configured MIDI music)

* - compared to vanilla DOSBox

Also, in parallel to Boxtron, a new version of DOSBox is being developed: dosbox-staging (you can read more about it on https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=69497).

Are there any DOS game enthusiasts amongst Linux users here? Tell me what you think about it :)

| ← Ceci n'est pas une pipe

does this also work on Windows? i doubt it, but still. Windows 10 couldn't run ms-dos software well last time i tried it. 

She/Her

Unfortunately not, only Linux version of Steam supports compatibility tools. However, if your're interested in testing dosbox-staging in Windows 10, I can prepare a Windows build - it was thoroughly tested only on Linux so far, but it has some improvements that could be pretty important for Windows users as well. Ping me if you're interested :)

| ← Ceci n'est pas une pipe