• RAM: 4GB
  • GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti or AMD HD 7850
  • HDD Space: 40GB

Recommended:

• CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K  or Ryzen 5 1600
  • RAM: 8GB
  • GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB or Radeon RX 470

The Outer Worlds has low minimum requirements but its recommended requirements seem to favor hyperthreading and AMD (If I'm not mistaken). The recommended CPU from Intel seems high at a 7700k than most games, and the recommended CPU from AMD is only a 1600. So I wonder if this game favors AMD because a 7700k is much better than a 1600. I mean why not make the recommended CPU a 6700k which is more equivalent to a 1600.

Also the recommended GPU from Nvidia is a 1060 which seems high compared to the recommended GPU from AMD as a RX 470. Isn't the 1060 much better than the RX 470

As you can tell these system requirements are a bit confusing and I wonder if I'm looking at it right. 

PS: I also wonder about SSD performance and if it's going to be a big difference in loading times. 

Photographer, future counselor, computer teacher.

3600X and RTX 2070 with too many storage drives to count. 

Its been a while since I saw Phenom II X6 as minimum CPU requirement. Its interesting, dual core intel cpu matches hexa core amd cpu, its either that they have some clever threading or just X6 is still a total piece of shit.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

@Thready GPU recommendation is likely because they need at least 4 Gb of VRAM.

Oh ok! I didn't even take that into consideration

3 minutes ago, Levent said:

Its been a while since I saw Phenom II X6 as minimum CPU requirement. Its interesting, dual core intel cpu matches hexa core amd cpu, its either that they have some clever threading or just X6 is still a total piece of shit.

and there seems to be a pretty huge disparity between minimum and recommended. Like, I've never seen a minimum CPU so low and a recommended Intel so high. The 7700k is a pretty beastly CPU.

Just now, Taf the Ghost said:

Next Nvidia model down is 3 Gb.

Yeah. Good eye on that. 

Recommended a 7700k but only 8GB RAM..ya. I totlay believe that.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

40 minutes ago, Thready said:

Minimum:

• CPU: Intel Core i3-3225 or AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
  • RAM: 4GB
  • GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti or AMD HD 7850

Recommended:

• CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K  or Ryzen 5 1600
  • RAM: 8GB
  • GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB or Radeon RX 470

Minimum is usually what is required to run the game, period. Recommended is usually what is required to get the ideal gaming experience. If it's a big jump between the two, that could indicate a number of things. First thing that comes to mind is maybe the game is very graphically demanding on higher graphic settings and/or may not be very well optimized. Second thing that comes to mind is maybe these minimum and recommended specs are taking into account low/high resolutions and low/high frame rates. Which is a good thing imo if that's what they're doing with newer minimum and recommended specs.

It's almost always a good idea to take minimum and recommended specs with a grain of salt. Sure they might very well be spot on but from my experience they're almost always way off. You can get games to run on potatoes that don't even meet minimum requirements.

40 minutes ago, Thready said:

PS: I also wonder about SSD performance and if it's going to be a big difference in loading times. 

Very few games differ in a major way when running them from an SSD or HDD. I've been using an HDD to run ALL my games for many years and only 1 game has given me issues in performance and that's Arma III. Which is a very common and known issue with the game. As for loading times, there's usually ways around those. Take GTA 5 for example. The longest loading time game I own. If I load the game straight into story mode, it takes less than a minute to load up the game. But if I load the game straight into Online mode, it can take around 3 minutes to load up the game. But if I load up story mode first(1 minute, tops) and then load up Online mode from story mode, it will take just 2 minutes total. None of these, at any point, make me want an SSD or affect gameplay in any way.

6 hours ago, Intransigent said:

Minimum is usually what is required to run the game, period. Recommended is usually what is required to get the ideal gaming experience. If it's a big jump between the two, that could indicate a number of things. First thing that comes to mind is maybe the game is very graphically demanding on higher graphic settings and/or may not be very well optimized. Second thing that comes to mind is maybe these minimum and recommended specs are taking into account low/high resolutions and low/high frame rates. Which is a good thing imo if that's what they're doing with newer minimum and recommended specs.

It's almost always a good idea to take minimum and recommended specs with a grain of salt. Sure they might very well be spot on but from my experience they're almost always way off. You can get games to run on potatoes that don't even meet minimum requirements.

Very few games differ in a major way when running them from an SSD or HDD. I've been using an HDD to run ALL my games for many years and only 1 game has given me issues in performance and that's Arma III. Which is a very common and known issue with the game. As for loading times, there's usually ways around those. Take GTA 5 for example. The longest loading time game I own. If I load the game straight into story mode, it takes less than a minute to load up the game. But if I load the game straight into Online mode, it can take around 3 minutes to load up the game. But if I load up story mode first(1 minute, tops) and then load up Online mode from story mode, it will take just 2 minutes total. None of these, at any point, make me want an SSD or affect gameplay in any way.

Awesome reply friend. Thanks for clearing this stuff up!