r5 3600 build help and suggestions please, thanks.

Hey everyone, so I need this done in the very near future, I appreciate any help any of you may have to offer.

Ryzen 3600 on an MSI B450 Tomahawk board, 3600MHz rated "Adata" RAM, an 8x 2 rgb kit.

Not planning to overclock it just yet but I am cannibalizing an old PC for parts and have a Corsair H100i 240mm AiO, as well as a Thermaltake something 550 watt PSU (hmm?), as well as an old GTX 960 GPU for now.

Going to be a mobo box open system for now but I am looking for a good case and to eventually make it all pretty etc :)

Are those M.2 Nvmes really worth it just so you get a quicker boot or is a good old SATA SSD just as good, I'm sort of leaning toward the latter..  I'd like for the case to be able to support at least 2 mechanical hdds. Any ATX will do, would prefer a compact'ish solution though.

Thanks !

Can't really put up a build unless you give us a budget. What I can say though is that if you already have a SATA SSD, and you feel it's got enough capacity and runs well enough for you at the moment, then there's not really any need to upgrade it. M.2 NVMe SSDs will be faster, but the gap between an NVMe and a SATA SSD is nowhere near as large as the one between a SATA SSD and a regular HDD in real world day to day usage. Another advantage for M.2 would be the fact that they plug right into the motherboard, meaning you don't have to run any extra cables and it clears up a 3.5/2.5" bay, for another drive. A fairly popular ATX case is the Fractal Design Meshify C, which only has 2 3.5/2.5" drive bays, for example (that being said, it still has 3 SSD mounting spots behind the motherboard tray, so you can still fit two HDDs without any issues).

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

I would suggest you go an extra mile and get the M.2 with DRAM - maybe a small 256 gig one for faster boots. If you are using two HDDs, you probably have ample storage for the rest of your things. 

However, yes, as @Mateyyy and @Sa1tama said, with a budget things will be more clear. 

If Ur only using an M.2 for now until you get the case, use a larger M.2 for storing more files but for the OS and most apps a 256 GB one is alright.

For cases, you can always choose a small case and a small external enclosure for your hard drives. 

In small cases, I really like the Velka 5, but you don't have so much HDD support. The Silverstone RVZ03 ARGB is a solid choice as it has the RGB in the front for all the pretty u want, and support for dual HDDs. Yayy! :D

If you want a more traditional case, the Phanteks P350X is good but it's a bit taller or the Corsair 280X! Dammn. That thing will house your 240mm and have lots of space in the rear compartment for your HDDs. 

Just now, Sa1tama said:

What's the budget?

Already sort of finalized on the mobo/chip combo. It will be a b450 platform housing a R5 3600 and 16 (2 x 8)GB of 3600MHz rated memory.

@Mateyyy @Sa1tama @Aristotle2019thanks for the replys to you guys too.

Have anything to add ?

1 hour ago, strat guy said:

Already sort of finalized on the mobo/chip combo. It will be a b450 platform housing a R5 3600 and 16 (2 x 8)GB of 3600MHz rated memory.

@Mateyyy @Sa1tama @Aristotle2019thanks for the replys to you guys too.

Have anything to add ?

Yesss.  DON'T BUY 3600MHz RAM!!! 

The B450 Tomahawk only supports DDR4 3466 MHz RAM! Choose a 3000MHz model, it will save money and it might even get OCed to 3200or 3466. 

1 hour ago, Aristotle2019 said:

Yesss.  DON'T BUY 3600MHz RAM!!! 

The B450 chipset only supports DDR4 3466 MHz RAM! Choose a 3000MHz model, it will save money and it might even get OCed to 3200or 3466. 

What ? Sorry but that is just wrong info right there. You can run much faster Ram than 3466MHz. The MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX for example can in theory support up to 4133MHz.

2 hours ago, strat guy said:

Hey everyone, so I need this done in the very near future, I appreciate any help any of you may have to offer.

Ryzen 3600 on an MSI B450 Tomahawk board, 3600MHz rated "Adata" RAM, an 8x 2 rgb kit.

Not planning to overclock it just yet but I am cannibalizing an old PC for parts and have a Corsair H100i 240mm AiO, as well as a Thermaltake something 550 watt PSU (hmm?), as well as an old GTX 960 GPU for now.

Going to be a mobo box open system for now but I am looking for a good case and to eventually make it all pretty etc :)

Are those M.2 Nvmes really worth it just so you get a quicker boot or is a good old SATA SSD just as good, I'm sort of leaning toward the latter..  I'd like for the case to be able to support at least 2 mechanical hdds. Any ATX will do, would prefer a compact'ish solution though.

Thanks !

Make sure you get the 'MAX' version of that board.

11 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

Make sure you get the 'MAX' version of that board.

Ohhhh damn. Holy cow I'm embarrassed. Really Sorry. U didn't mention Max anywhere above, so I thought you meant the normal B450 Tomahawk. Didn't even know there was a Max

Just now, Aristotle2019 said:

Ohhhh damn. Holy cow I'm embarrassed. Really Sorry. U didn't mention Max anywhere above, so I thought you meant the normal B450 Tomahawk. Didn't even know there was a Max

No worries.

Yeah the MAX is just an updated version of the regular Tomahawk board. It comes with a bigger bios chip (32mb instead of 16mb) and works out of the box with the 3000 series cpu's. Whether you will be able to reach 4133MHz though is another matter. You can easily get 3600MHz though.

1 minute ago, lee32uk said:

No worries.

Yeah the MAX is just an updated version of the regular Tomahawk board. It comes with a bigger bios chip (32mb instead of 16mb) and works out of the box with the 3000 series cpu's. Whether you will be able to reach 4133MHz though is another matter. You can easily get 3600MHz though.

Yes ok. But It depends on which version OP @strat guy is getting. Chances are it's a Tomahawk, in which case he /she really should avoid a ram at speed greater than supported by his mobo, because it's really a gray area and no guarantee if it'll work. 

So yeah, don't buy 3600mhz when Ur mobo says only uptil 3466 MHz. 

Right @lee32uk?

9 minutes ago, Aristotle2019 said:

Yes ok. But It depends on which version OP @strat guy is getting. Chances are it's a Tomahawk, in which case he /she really should avoid a ram at speed greater than supported by his mobo, because it's really a gray area and no guarantee if it'll work. 

So yeah, don't buy 3600mhz when Ur mobo says only uptil 3466 MHz. 

Right @lee32uk?

The majority of places should be selling the MAX version by now. Of course there is a possibility that some still have old stock so the op would need to double check that. You can still go with 3600MHz ram but of course if the board only supported 3466 then it would run at that speed. Some 3600 kits are pretty cheap anyway.