Help plz

Go to solution Solved by Radium_Angel,
11 hours ago, LaggingPotato said:

I tried the pcie-slot with a different card and it works fine.

Then it seems your gfx card is bad

I cannot get a display output.

My problem is probably with my graphics card, but it is not obvious to me what it is.

When I boot up my pc, I get no output at all with my asus HD 7770, if I unplug it, go into my BIOS (integrated vga/hdmi port (both work)) and switch Integrated graphics to always on, put my card back in (6-pin connector ok, slid into pci-e slot fine, dvi port plugged in fine (yes I know, dvi.. but my awful case doesnt let me plug in HDMI), I turn it on and I get a output only from the integrated graphics (either vga or hdmi), no output from my card. the fans are spinning btw. I go into device manager (windows 7/10 (tried both) and my card is detected, I can update, reinstall, or change my drivers and it says it works fine. I uninstall the drivers, set them as just standard vga adapter, and restart. nothing changed. then I redownload them, install them, windows confirms ok, restart. still nothing changed. fans still spinning and windows still says its ok. I tried safe mode as well, and even reinstalled windows twice. I also replaced the DVI cable, plugged both cables into another pc (ancient dell), and I got a output fine. I then put in a ancient graphics card and got a DVI output from it as well, I sacrificed resolution though (image didnt fit display unless different drivers installed). I then put in a gtx 1060, I got a output but it was just a black screen. on integrated graphics though the system booted. yes, I tried turning integrated graphics off. Windows detects it fine, tried safe mode, installed drivers, same exact thing but there is at least a signal to my monitor. It's connected to the power supply just fine, here are my specs:

Core I5 3570

8gb ddr3 ram

4TB storage (across 3 hard drives)

Case I found in a dumpster

The graphics cards (HD 7770 (asus), gtx 1060 (gigabyte)

500w bronze power supply (corsair)

Windows 10 and 7. installed on different drives (tried with either OS as well).

The ancient card is a ATI 5700

Windows is up to date and activated. installed via usb.

a asus monitor with VGA, DVI, and HDMI.

4 minutes ago, LaggingPotato said:

Case I found in a dumpster

Might be having a short somewhere.

Do this, pull everything out of the case, set the mobo on a phone book (or something equally large)

Only plug in mobo, video card, and keyboard, leave everything else off. Plug in power, power it up, see what you get.

Report back

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

4 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Might be having a short somewhere.

Do this, pull everything out of the case, set the mobo on a phone book (or something equally large)

Only plug in mobo, video card, and keyboard, leave everything else off. Plug in power, power it up, see what you get.

Report back

Although I doubt this, I will still try it. Well I did, didnt change anything. I have a tiny motherboard by the way, like 2 pci-e slots and no space for case fans or case usb. with 4 sata ports though so thats nice. I dont have a phone book so I put it on the anti-static wrapper thing the gtx 1060 came with. The reason I doubted this is because the 5700 works just fine with nothing except the card changed. Thank you though for the reply.

7 hours ago, LaggingPotato said:

Although I doubt this, I will still try it. Well I did, didnt change anything. I have a tiny motherboard by the way, like 2 pci-e slots and no space for case fans or case usb. with 4 sata ports though so thats nice. I dont have a phone book so I put it on the anti-static wrapper thing the gtx 1060 came with. The reason I doubted this is because the 5700 works just fine with nothing except the card changed. Thank you though for the reply.

ok, troubleshooting is a process of elimination. We have eliminated one issue, but still have a way to go.

I assume you have tried the other pcie slot for your gfx card?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

14 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

ok, troubleshooting is a process of elimination. We have eliminated one issue, but still have a way to go.

I assume you have tried the other pcie slot for your gfx card?

There is only one pcie slot for graphics cards, the other one is a mini one I use for a wifi card. I tried the pcie-slot with a different card and it works fine.

11 hours ago, LaggingPotato said:

I tried the pcie-slot with a different card and it works fine.

10 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

can a graphics card be bad if windows says its functional? Before it didnt get a output I was playing Fallout 4 on it and it ran just fine, just didnt turn on the next day

14 minutes ago, LaggingPotato said:

can a graphics card be bad if windows says its functional? Before it didnt get a output I was playing Fallout 4 on it and it ran just fine, just didnt turn on the next day

Yup. I had a GTX 660 that ran just fine, all day long, until you pushed it even a bit in a video game and poof! BSoD.

They go bad from time to time, it happens.

54 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Yup. I had a GTX 660 that ran just fine, all day long, until you pushed it even a bit in a video game and poof! BSoD.

They go bad from time to time, it happens.

ah, ok. thats too bad I guess.

well if you did'nt have a short you might now!!!! never ever ever put a mobo or any electronics down on a static bag they will short your  device out!!