Finally upgrading my Computer to the present

I am planning to upgrade my pc. This means that I only need:

• A CPU
  • A Motherboard
  • RAM
  • A GPU
  • A faster Boot SSD (I do have an SSD)
  • (A new PSU, my current one is 550W at 80+)

Use case: I'd like to be able to use this computer for a while professionally. I am a developer. I do play games sometimes, but I am also looking to get into AI sometime soon. 

I have quickly put something together: (I think the motherboard might be wrong and I don't know if I need a new PSU)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bBzXHB

I used to be able to pick a good system myself, but I didn't keep up with hardware too much the last year, so I figured to ask the experts. 

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated
Alex

Technically speaking you would be fine with a 550w PSU but for the sake of efficiency and to be on the safe side I would recommend upgrading. 

The EVGA G3 PSU's are known to be quite noisy and from my experience it can be the noisiest component in your system, especially at idle. I would recommend the RM series from Corsair which is quieter and comparable (if anyone has another suggestion let me know):  

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/79tQzy/corsair-rmx-2018-750w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020179-na

Your CPU / MoBo / RAM combo should work fine. I would get a 1 TB SSD since NAND is so cheap rn but you do have 2 M.2 slots. The GPU is also a solid choice.

NOTE: Motherboard should work with 3000 series out of the box but it is recommended that you upgrade to the latest bios

I would also highly recommend you get an after AM4 CPU cooler since the stock cooler is quite noisy. Let us know if you need recommendations.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($558.89 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($189.79 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($154.99 @ Adorama) 
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($109.98 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB VENTUS GP Video Card  ($1049.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ B&H) 
Total: $2153.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-15 13:23 EDT-0400

here you go, better in every way, sadly 20 $ more. 

21 minutes ago, Alexzz said:

I am also looking to get into AI sometime soon. 

how many GPUs do you potencially plan to add?

do you do any rendering workloads?

do you need the 11GB of Vram buffer?

22 minutes ago, Alexzz said:

am a developer.

what kind of developer, would you like to run a GCN/RDNA GPU aswell to optimize and make sure it works for that aswell?

23 minutes ago, Alexzz said:

I do play games sometimes

enough to get the best consumer GPU?

Thanks guys! You are a great help already. 

how many GPUs do you potencially plan to add?

do you do any rendering workloads?

do you need the 11GB of Vram buffer?

- This one should be plenty

- Not really

- Prob. not, but maybe in the future, so I don't have to upgrade again

what kind of developer, would you like to run a GCN/RDNA GPU aswell to optimize and make sure it works for that aswell?

A Web Developer. So I mostly don't need the performance, but I do need a snappy and responsive system I can use for a few years.

enough to get the best consumer GPU?

I'd love to see the newest marvels of games and see the newest technologies, so I thought to just get the best one. Prob. a waste?

NOTE: Motherboard should work with 3000 series out of the box but it is recommended that you upgrade to the latest bios

What are the steps to update the bios? Is that hard? Do I need another "compatible" RAM stick for that?

I would also highly recommend you get an after AM4 CPU cooler since the stock cooler is quite noisy. Let us know if you need recommendations.

Thanks for the advice! I do have a custom water cooling loop with a 360 radiator, which I'd simply reuse though :)

17 minutes ago, Alexzz said:

I'd love to see the newest marvels of games and see the newest technologies, so I thought to just get the best one. Prob. a waste?

you get most of the experience with a RTX 2080 super, so thats a couple hundred $ money save. 

hat are the steps to update the bios? Is that hard? Do I need another "compatible" RAM stick for that?

you dont need to worry about that with the motherboard ive picked in the build i posted. 

if you want to update the Bios, you either do it by downloading from manufacturer website or some boards like the ones from Asus have some other ways of doing it. 

A Web Developer. So I mostly don't need the performance, but I do need a snappy and responsive system I can use for a few years.

skip the R9 3900x then and just get the 3700x. 

I do have a custom water cooling loop with a 360 radiator,

keep in mind you need AM4 mounting which would likely entail a new block. 

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($327.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($189.79 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($154.99 @ Adorama) 
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($109.98 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card  ($719.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ B&H) 
Total: $1592.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-15 15:10 EDT-0400

toned down the build quite a bit. saving quite a bit of money to spend elsewhere. 

if you want a really nice overkill mobo to go with the watercooling. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/pbvqqs/asrock-x570-taichi-atx-am4-motherboard-x570-taichi

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ZRBhP6/gigabyte-x570-aorus-master-atx-am4-motherboard-x570-aorus-master

taichi has some issues regarding chipset fan noise. otherwise great board. 

edit: also you can quote properly by marking text. a quote option will come up. 

56 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

edit: also you can quote properly by marking text. a quote option will come up.

Got it!

57 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

keep in mind you need AM4 mounting which would likely entail a new block. 

I got that in mind :)

57 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

toned down the build quite a bit. saving quite a bit of money to spend elsewhere. 

It's my company's money, so as long as the value / money ratio is not of the charts I'd take it. Your 1.6k list looks like it's the one for me!

2 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

I'll add the Sabrent Rocket 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive. Thanks for introducing me to this brand!

327$ for a Cpu and 200$ for a motherboard? Sounds a little off or am I wrong there? 

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

Spend the extra $20 on 3600 Mhz RAM. It'll give you anywhere from a 4%-5% performance increase. The RAM Trident Z Neo kit should work great as it was launched along side the Ryzen 3000 series and x570 chipset.

1 minute ago, Alexzz said:

327$ for a Cpu and 200$ for a motherboard? Sounds a little off or am I wrong there? 

not really, 

its a really good board, but there are a couple of other ones to look at aswell. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/McfFf7/asus-prime-x570-p-atx-am4-motherboard-prime-x570-p

this one is still running on the X570 chipset that gives a lot of IO. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jcYQzy/msi-b450-tomahawk-max-atx-am4-motherboard-b450-tomahawk-max

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BHBhP6/msi-b450-gaming-plus-max-atx-am4-motherboard-b450-gaming-plus-max

or these two cheaper B450 boards. 

Quickly off topic: This community is amazing. Knowledgeable answers within minutes of me posting it. You guys are great. Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Blatcher2 said:

Spend the extra $20 on 3600 Mhz RAM. It'll give you anywhere from a 4%-5% performance increase. The RAM Trident Z Neo kit should work great as it was launched along side the Ryzen 3000 series and x570 chipset.

Trident Z Neo is just Hynix CJR. 

the kit i specifically chose is for high capacity compatibility. Crucial ballistics Ram are using E-die to lower the load on the memmory controller. 

also those are cl18 3600mhz, which are comparable to 3200mhz cl16. so not worth it. (edit: they are better, iirc, just not by the figures you are claiming)

and 3600mhz cl16 kits for 32 GB of Ram are not cheap. you are better of manually tweaking the E-die kits.