Unraid vs NextCloud

leo

Hi,

I wanted to do a home server to ''de-google'' myself, since I have 60tb and ryzen 7 1700 laying around.

I was wondering what would be easier ( im not a pro in linux ) , better usage and addon wise, and security wise ; to install unraid then the Nextcloud addon or install directly nextcloud ?

thanks!

you can install nextcloud on almost any operating system so pick whatever you want. I find Nextcloud is not good with large files like movies and large binaries, so you might want a NAS system like freeNAS or unraid.

Just a note: i gaver har some problems with Nextcloud about playing videos, that it stutters/seems like it doesn't load fast enough to be played, tho transfering the video to the device now Nextcloud is fast and playing video directed from NAS (Unraid) is very fast, so I don't know. Images and stuff works fine tho.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

11 hours ago, Struck said:

NextCloud is not an operating system, so it will have to be installed onto something. 

Can be windows, linux or as you say, unraid.

Was mostly speaking on linux vs unraid.

But seem easier to simply use Unraid.

do you know if it's possible to allocate only 1-2 HDD to nextcloud, and make it impossible for hacker to reach the others ?

They are two different things with different goals. Nextcloud provides a self hosted cloud alternative while unRAID provides easy network file shares. You can setup Nextcloud with a reverse proxy to access it anywhere easily whereas unRAID shares are local network only.

8 minutes ago, leo said:

do you know if it's possible to allocate only 1-2 HDD to nextcloud, and make it impossible for hacker to reach the others ?

unRAID can do this but the disks won't be part of the array at all.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 hour ago, 2FA said:

You can setup Nextcloud with a reverse proxy to access it anywhere easily whereas unRAID shares are local network only.

ah perfect ! exactly what I wanted to do!

Do you know if I can then move file from the nextcloud HDD to Unraid backup ?

29 minutes ago, leo said:

ah perfect ! exactly what I wanted to do!

Do you know if I can then move file from the nextcloud HDD to Unraid backup ?

Yes, you could make a simple script that uses, for example, rsync to duplicate the files onto the array.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Thanks !hope all works well