B450 socket damage

I hate to admit but i recently removed my old cooler and the cpu got yanked out with it and I hate to admit that after some fumbling i broke a cpu pin and is now effectively toast. And i was wondering what are the chances i could have damaged the am4 socket in all the chaos before I go out and buy a new cpu or i guess I'll have to try it anyways with a new known good cpu

if its just one bent pin you can try re aligning it with some really small tools and a magnifying glass (or your phone all the way zoomed in), you can check the damage by booting it; see if ram slots still works or if it will post. 

Well I tried bending the bent pin but it eventually broke off completely, I have tried it in the rig its doesn't boot but all the fans spin up and the mobo cpu fault led come on so I'm hoping a new cpu is all I need.

14 minutes ago, SublimeLight4 said:

Well I tried bending the bent pin but it eventually broke off completely, I have tried it in the rig its doesn't boot but all the fans spin up and the mobo cpu fault led come on so I'm hoping a new cpu is all I need.

you can try straightening out the broken pin, matching it to the pin hole on the motherboard socket and place it in before installing the CPU, i've heard of it working on older AMD CPUs before. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Is your mobo still in warranty? Maybe you can RMA it

1 minute ago, Jeans said:

Is your mobo still in warranty? Maybe you can RMA it

it's likely just the CPU that died from losing a needed pin, at most he can request first-party repair service from AMD.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

it's likely just the CPU that died from losing a needed pin, at most he can request first-party repair service from AMD.

Oh my bad, I read that as a bent pin on the mobo itself, I'm used to intel cpus being flat.

3 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

Well I'm alright with getting a new cpu about time for an upgrade anyways but I guess I'll just have to try to test if the mobo is damaged in any way.