HDR

Jordanvt45

Hey guys, I’ve got a Dell 1440p hdr monitor 27 inch of course. I was wondering what cable I need to support hdr. Also does Netflix support hdr at the moment? 
I’ve also got a dell 1440p 144hz monitor with a display port plugged in. Is that okay? 

2 minutes ago, Jordanvt45 said:

Also does Netflix support hdr at the moment?

Netflix has had HDR-support for years now, you just need the more expensive subscription to be able to use it.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Netflix has had HDR-support for years now, you just need the more expensive subscription to be able to use it.

Netflix says UHD and that is the subscription I currently have. UHD and HDR are not the same.

1 minute ago, Jordanvt45 said:

Netflix says UHD and that is the subscription I currently have. UHD and HDR are not the same.

No, they are not the same, but that's the subscription you need for either of them. Since you have it, you're all set for HDR.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Right but I am aware that not all HDMI cables support HDR. I have no idea what type of HDMI cable i have

6 minutes ago, Jordanvt45 said:

Right but I am aware that not all HDMI cables support HDR. I have no idea what type of HDMI cable i have

It needs to be a high-speed - cable. There are four different types: high-speed, high-speed with ethernet, standard-speed and standard-speed with ethernet -- only the high-speed and high-speed with ethernet will do for HDR.

Some things to be aware in your quest for HDR content...

first and foremost, I have to assume your new screen is HDR400 Vesa compliance, and that's actually not good, that's only marketing... 300 nits are not enough to actually render a "good" HDR content, and VESA issued such format to start bring more and more people to the HDR ring... HDR600 is good, HDR1000 (HDR10 for short) is amazing.

Secondly, about HDMI cables, unless you bough your HDMI cable 5 years ago, you really don't need to buy a new one.

Netflix has HDR content for a long time now, it's normally not marked in any way, some content has, some other do not, it's normally 4K content marked as "UltraHD" but it's not all... 
They state that if you have a HDR10 screen, you will be able to see the HDR logo in the movie specs spacer.png
Same way they say if you have a Dolby Vision ready screen you would see the spacer.png logo
And you will only be able to stream these contents if you have a 4 subscription.

As I have an LG tv screen, I see the logos when I start the content, even when playing a console title with such features enabled.

Now, to answer your question directly:

- You will never see Netflix HDR content in your screen (Netflix only supports HDR10 - the true HDR).
- You mostly do not need to buy a new HDMI cable.

---

Only so you know a bit more about HDR (knowing more does not hurt anyone)

There are currently 3 formats for display formats: HDR, HDR+ and Dolby Vision
showing peak brightness nits 

HDR - 4000 nits, 10bit color, Static meta-data
HDR+ - 4000 nits, 10bit color, Dynamic/Frame by frame meta-data
Dolby Vision - 10.000nits, 12bit color, Dynamic/Frame by frame meta-data

---

Example of Uncharted4 (a HDR ready Playstation game) - to demostrate the deepth black against the other colors
(remember the picture is as good as your screen... not actually the original)

spacer.png

NZXT H440 | i7 8700K @ 3.7GHz | Asus TUF Z370 | (4x8) 32GB | GTX 1080Ti | 1x Asus ROG Swift PG349Q + 2x Dell S2417DG | SSD NVMe (960+256) + HHD Barracuda 2Tb
AudioEngine D1 | Aune X7s | AudioEngine A5+ | HD 6xx | PC 37X | Z60 7.1 | Hart Audio cable set | G502 | G915 TKL

Thanks for the reply! I have a dell s2719dm and I’m not sure what HDMI cable I have but it is fairly new. So not all movies and shows are hdr10? 

and I am not seeing any of the logos you were mentioning, which means I am most likely not receiving it. 

20 minutes ago, Jordanvt45 said:

Thanks for the reply! I have a dell s2719dm and I’m not sure what HDMI cable I have but it is fairly new. So not all movies and shows are hdr10? 

and I am not seeing any of the logos you were mentioning, which means I am most likely not receiving it. 

it depends on what your watching it on...browsers will not work with netfix and amazon hdr, uhd, 5.1 anymore both require the app. but netfix has a windows app so. i think hulu and youtube red is the same way

@Jordanvt45 I still think you have a good cable... but @circeseye is into something here ...

So I went and test the exact same Netflix documentary and I'll show you what they show in the 3 platforms

Documentary: Our Planet
Systems:
- Livingroom 4K HDR TV (LG SK8500)
- Windows 10 on a crappy Dell 2560x1440 TN panel - web browser (Edge Chromium)
- Windows 10 on a crappy Dell 2560x1440 TN panel - Netflix app

On the TV

yyu8BYO.jpg

Shows the Dolby Vision logo (the best HDR content) and when I start the film, I always get on the top right screen the format of such content, like

pXCI2sF.png

on the browser, Microsoft Edge (Chromium), all I get is the AD logo (Audio Description availability)

CVTbayd.jpg

in the Netflix Windows app, I get HD (as my Dell monitor is not 4K), and Dolby Atmos (because my computer supports it) - but note that from the browser, I only would reproduce Stereo sound (no audio icon shown) 

zCxjsoc.jpg

As side note, when I start Playstation4 HDR games, like Uncharted4 and The Last of Us Remastered, I see on my living room TV the content logo as well:

4jMUioK.png

So, in conclusion, and just like @circeseye said, it always depends on your system/source, and in Netflix (don't know about other services) you will get the logos automatically as your system can handle.

In your case, give it a go and download the Netflix App and check how can you see.

NZXT H440 | i7 8700K @ 3.7GHz | Asus TUF Z370 | (4x8) 32GB | GTX 1080Ti | 1x Asus ROG Swift PG349Q + 2x Dell S2417DG | SSD NVMe (960+256) + HHD Barracuda 2Tb
AudioEngine D1 | Aune X7s | AudioEngine A5+ | HD 6xx | PC 37X | Z60 7.1 | Hart Audio cable set | G502 | G915 TKL

Okay, I’ll download the app. I do not see any symbols when I launch “Our planet”. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

The symbols when you load the content, it must be a television thingy/feature ... I doubt it's in all ...

So you have the same as me, HD (video) and Dolby Atmos (sound) ... sorry, no HDR is available - we can't say it's the cable, we would need the help of someone with a 1000nits screen to test in their system to actually know if they can see it ... as I said before, HDR10 (minimum Netflix HDR content) needs at least 4000nits ... so, only asking someone with a 4K screen 1000nits (no screen 4000nits available as today), like the Acer BM270...

you can't have 4K ever, you don't have the res on your screen, as there's no 1440p the closest is Full HD, hence the HD icon... I'm sure in a 4K screen you would see the "4K" or "UltraHD" icon.

Is my monitor even worth watching in HDR? What nitts is my monitoring using? Using HDR is honestly a pain for 1440p...

Basically what I want to know, is HDR worth using on my Monitor?

Dell s2719dm:

it's not a bad screen, that model has a peak of 600 nits in 8bit color (for full HDR you would need 10bit color, and 4k nits)... so you will never see full HDR content, but through the screen system, 600 nits peak is nice and you will notice against other screen models.

from https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dell-s2719dm-qhd-hdr-monitor,5655.html it reads:

"The Dell S2718DM impresses when it comes to HDR. While it won’t post the impressive numbers of its pro-level stablemate, the UP2718Q, it's about a fifth of the cost at $350. The best HDR comes from full-array backlights, but among edge-array monitors the S2718DM is one of the most accurate. It gives up a little peak color saturation and doesn’t have full Ultra HD resolution"

I'm 99.9% sure you will never see the HDR mark from Netflix, your system will need the 4k nits/10 bit color so Netflix can see it's able to show the HDR logo... but buddy, worry not, your screen it's amazing among so many others (like my TN panel) ... in all reviews says the colors are very good, so, keep it up and don't over think it! 

A screen will never be as good as a full TV, we do not do the same on both screens... and for watching movies, your screen rocks!

P.S. I would love to see someone with this screen (BenQ PD2700U) to check the Netflix app :) (still, they say 400nits... and HDR10 support, but from VESA website you see that HDR10 specs need 4000nits... might be just marketing from Benq)

5 minutes ago, balexandre said:

Dell s2719dm:

it's not a bad screen, that model has a peak of 600 nits in 8bit color (for full HDR you would need 10bit color, and 4k nits)... so you will never see full HDR content, but through the screen system, 600 nits peak is nice and you will notice against other screen models.

from https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dell-s2719dm-qhd-hdr-monitor,5655.html it reads:

I'm 99.9% sure you will never see the HDR mark from Netflix, your system will need the 4k nits/10 bit color so Netflix can see it's able to show the HDR logo... but buddy, worry not, your screen it's amazing among so many others (like my TN panel) ... in all reviews says the colors are very good, so, keep it up and don't over think it! 

A screen will never be as good as a full TV, we do not do the same on both screens... and for watching movies, your screen rocks!

Alright Awesome! Another question, is this worth playing games such as the witcher 3? I have another dell 1440p 144hz monitor and I get around 85 fps when playing the witcher 3. Would this monitor be worth the try when gaming open world single player games?

1 minute ago, Jordanvt45 said:

Alright Awesome! Another question, is this worth playing games such as the witcher 3? I have another dell 1440p 144hz monitor and I get around 85 fps when playing the witcher 3. Would this monitor be worth the try when gaming open world single player games?

when you plug that DELL, even if your system says it can be at 85fps... your screen will not do more than 60 (60Hz) (by enabling GSync/freesync you will block the game at max 60fps) ... the question is, are you OK with 60fps...

I moved to 144Hz because it rests my eyes, at 60Hz I get tired quickly... and as a developer, I pass a huge amount of hours in front of screens...

ideal: have both, use 144Hz for gaming, and the other for movies (like a dual screen setup), if you have to choose one... what to you give more importance? games or movies?

2 minutes ago, balexandre said:

when you plug that DELL, even if your system says it can be at 85fps... your screen will not do more than 60 (60Hz) (by enabling GSync/freesync you will block the game at max 60fps) ... the question is, are you OK with 60fps...

I moved to 144Hz because it rests my eyes, at 60Hz I get tired quickly... and as a developer, I pass a huge amount of hours in front of screens...

ideal: have both, use 144Hz for gaming, and the other for movies (like a dual screen setup), if you have to choose one... what to you give more importance? games or movies?

So with HDR turned on I am still benefiting from movies and videos in general? I am good to go?

@Jordanvt45 I just found this when looking at a screen review:

starting at 02:43 he actually had a faulty cable and that was why he could not enable HDR on Windows 10.

ohh, and skip to 05:39 when he talks about Windows HDR and that he had to turn it off...

On 10/7/2019 at 11:44 PM, balexandre said:

first and foremost, I have to assume your new screen is HDR400 Vesa compliance, and that's actually not good, that's only marketing... 300 nits are not enough to actually render a "good" HDR content, and VESA issued such format to start bring more and more people to the HDR ring... HDR600 is good, HDR1000 (HDR10 for short) is amazing.

Just a note, HDR10 and DisplayHDR 1000 are totally separate standards, HDR10 is not shorthand for the VESA DisplayHDR standard. HDR10 is a standard defined by the CTA, and doesn't require displays to meet the specifications it defines, so HDR10 doesn't actually mean anything in terms of HDR capability, other than the fact that the display is able to recognize HDR10 metadata.

on my tv apps i get 4k hdr uhd, 5.1 atmos the works...netfix, amazon, hulu, even with wifi

but on my comp to tv. with the apps i can only get uhd, hd, 5.1, atmos

in a browser sd, stereo (this actually changed this year..used to get 5.1 and uhd, hd in browsers with netfix, that stopped)

34 minutes ago, circeseye said:

on my tv apps i get 4k hdr uhd, 5.1 atmos the works...netfix, amazon, hulu, even with wifi

but on my comp to tv. with the apps i can only get uhd, hd, 5.1, atmos

in a browser sd, stereo (this actually changed this year..used to get 5.1 and uhd, hd in browsers with netfix, that stopped)

To get the most of Netflix in a computer, you need to use the Windows App 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/netflix/9wzdncrfj3tj?activetab=pivot:overviewtab