Too Much Backlight Bleed?

laz0r

What do you think, is this too much backlight bleed? Not sure if I want to play monitor lottery considering I don't really notice this in regular use.

This is a MAG271CQR, which is a curved VA panel.

monitor.png.1622e1dc498735d3a2b8bdbb8acee4ac.png

If you don't notice it then it isn't too much. 

That being said, it is quite significant bleed, I'm not sure if that monitor is supposed to be like that.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X  |  Cooler: Cryorig H7  |  Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar  |  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini  |  RAM: Team Vulcan 16GB  3000MHz  |  GPU: EVGA 1070ti Gaming (Kraken G12 Watercooled) |  PSU: Corsair TXM650  |  Storage: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB + WD Blue M.2 500GB  |  Network Card: Asus PCE-AC56  |  Monitor: Acer Nitro VG270U  |  Audio: Sennheiser HD6XX + Schiit Fulla 2

Laptop:

Lenovo s540:  CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3500U  |  RAM: 8GB DDR4 2666MHz  |  GPU: AMD Radeon Vega 8  |  Storage: 256GB NVME SSD

Other builds:

Spoiler

Workstation 1:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X  |  Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Rev 2  |  Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Pro  |  Case: Corsair Crystal 570X  |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz  |  GPU: Nvidia Quadro P5000  |  PSU: Corsair TXM750  |  Storage 1: WD Green 120GB  |  Storage 2: WD Blue 1TB  |  Storage 3: Seagate Barracuda 4TB  |  Monitor: LG 27UD68

14 minutes ago, AndrewB121 said:

If you don't notice it then it isn't too much. 

That being said, it is quite significant bleed, I'm not sure if that monitor is supposed to be like that.

From what I gather, this isn't abnormal for the monitor. The review here has just as much bleed and the same pattern: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/msi/optix-mag271cqr

27 minutes ago, laz0r said:

From what I gather, this isn't abnormal for the monitor. The review here has just as much bleed and the same pattern: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/msi/optix-mag271cqr

In that case unless it's really bothering you (in which case send it back), there isn't much you can do. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X  |  Cooler: Cryorig H7  |  Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar  |  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini  |  RAM: Team Vulcan 16GB  3000MHz  |  GPU: EVGA 1070ti Gaming (Kraken G12 Watercooled) |  PSU: Corsair TXM650  |  Storage: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB + WD Blue M.2 500GB  |  Network Card: Asus PCE-AC56  |  Monitor: Acer Nitro VG270U  |  Audio: Sennheiser HD6XX + Schiit Fulla 2

Laptop:

Lenovo s540:  CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3500U  |  RAM: 8GB DDR4 2666MHz  |  GPU: AMD Radeon Vega 8  |  Storage: 256GB NVME SSD

Other builds:

Spoiler

Workstation 1:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X  |  Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Rev 2  |  Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Pro  |  Case: Corsair Crystal 570X  |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz  |  GPU: Nvidia Quadro P5000  |  PSU: Corsair TXM750  |  Storage 1: WD Green 120GB  |  Storage 2: WD Blue 1TB  |  Storage 3: Seagate Barracuda 4TB  |  Monitor: LG 27UD68

It's too much for VA panel. Send it back. 

Edit 

Nvm, just seen the rtings link. But holy shit, this must be one of the horrible VA monitors! I'll never accept such terrible backlight bleeds. 

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Well, I mean, cameras do pick up more light and make things look worse than they really are.

Judging by the quality of the photo, you have poor camera, probably overexpose images way too much to compensate for poor f-number/aperture size. Also what settings are you running? You should not run your monitor 100 brightness 100 contrast? If the effect isnt noticeable for your eye sitting in dim room while watching dark movies, then i wouldnt worry about camera photos. Though it looks like it has a little too much backlight bleed since the room isnt really dark[make a photo with your room completely dark]. 

Here's my screen at 100 brightness and 100 contrast My camera is not that better, considering its a smartphone camera.At least ive made the photos sharper than yours by adjusting the autofocus. Its rated at 300cd/m2 max. 

F38ACFW.jpg

And here's at 50/50

XCTtdI5.jpg

Despite looking horrible on the camera, in real life even in a dark room watching dark movie i dont notice that.  Its just that black color is lighter than what you would get with VA/OLED panel, well because my monitor is crappy TN with poor contrast ratio[sth like 700:1, and it doesnt help that its CCFL and not LED] ;) People worrying about backlight bleed that is noticeable on the camera are...well i dont want to insult anyone, but do you look at the world using your eyes, or your camera? Do you want to compare BLB with different peoples, using different cameras with different exposure? Whats the point of that? So someone can pat you on the back and say "well your monitor looks great on the photos" instead of actually judging by what you see? Some internet stranger looking by the picture on camera[it doesnt help that people make photos of monitors with different cameras, and with monitor set to different settings, in theory you should make photos of the monitor using the same camera with same settings, with same monitor true luminosity cd/m2, with same darkness in room, so how can you effectively compare monitors on the internet without knowing these factors? Its just a guessing, and doesnt help that there are lot of clueless people who post BLB photos on reddit, exaggerating this and their judgement is influenced on opinions of other clueless people], knows better than your eyes? People are really too obsessed with BLB.How often do you sit in a perfectly dark room, watching perfectly black images with a monitor on 100/100 settings[you should not set your monitor 100/100 if you sit in a dark room,its bad for eyes]? You can send monitor 10 times and dont get a better one, just because it is what it is-that's a standard BLB for monitors for this price. If you want a monitor with no bleed, then that would drive the cost of monitor way too much for a consumer to handle. Generally speaking the 800-1000 usd monitors wont have that much bleed because they are build in better quality. But some BLB will still be on the display its really hard to perfectly seal the edges,especially with thin bezels. Its just an innane trait of LCD you get BLB no matter what, full LED generally have less BLB on edges[but it can have more on the center, depending on panel type] than edge LED, VA has less BLB than IPS or TN. The question is, is it noticeable to you, not the camera? 

17 hours ago, laz0r said:

What do you think, is this too much backlight bleed? Not sure if I want to play monitor lottery considering I don't really notice this in regular use.

This is a MAG271CQR, which is a curved VA panel.

monitor.png.1622e1dc498735d3a2b8bdbb8acee4ac.png

This is a known issue.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/msi/optix-mag271cqr

Your not likely to get much better if u replace it with another one. This monitor simply uses a panel with crap uniformity.

if u want a 144hz VA panel monitor perhaps consider the:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/32gk850g-b

Its arguably the best 1440p high refresh VA monitor (thats been reviewed) out there atm due to having 'relatively' good uniformity (BLB) and also fast pixel response times.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Ended up returning it and I'm going for a LG 27GL850-B now.

I code for a living and also play games on the same monitor. The backlight bleed was very noticeable, particularly when writing code. Honestly have better uniformity on an old TN panel compared to the MAG271CQR.

Thanks for all your input.

On 10/9/2019 at 12:43 AM, laz0r said:

Ended up returning it and I'm going for a LG 27GL850-B now.

I code for a living and also play games on the same monitor. The backlight bleed was very noticeable, particularly when writing code. Honestly have better uniformity on an old TN panel compared to the MAG271CQR.

Thanks for all your input.

Good luck with that 27GL850-B .

its reviews indicate poor black uniformity as well. Maybe you'll get lucky though.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27gl850-b

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |