Looking for two laptops, Recomendations Please

Hello all!

Recently Destiny 2: Shadowkeep has launched and while I love my gaming desktop, I feel it is time to trade it in (up/out) for a laptop. I love portability of a laptop, the ability to connect to a wide array of peripherals, and the overall ease-of-use. With my aging, I have cared less and less about building, tinkering, etc. with tech and am looking to the community for help finding a new solution so I can continue to play the games I love on the PC, but how I want to.

In addition, the second laptop is for my girlfriend. While she currently likes only Online "flash-based" games, I have intrigued her with the idea with playing PC games in services like Shadow.

My minimum requirements for my laptop are:

• Must be within a budget of $500-$700
  • Preferred used but can be new
  • Has to have at least 8GB of RAM
  • Would like some user upgradability, but not necessarily required.
  • MUST have at least ONE Thunderbolt 3 port (I would prefer 2 lanes or more of dedicated PCIe but if you can recommend one cheaper with only 1 lane, I would still look into it)
  • MUST have AC wifi - I have high-speed Orbi networking and want to utilize it to the best I can especially if I choose to use Shadow to play on the couch
  • PCIe based SSD is preferred
  • Keyboard Backlighting is a plus (no rainbow puke tho, pls)
  • Decent battery life but still kind of light weight

My minimum requirements for my laptop are:

• Must be within a budget of $175-300
  • Preferred new but can be used
  • Has to have at least 4GB of RAM with 8GB preferred
  • Minimal upgradability (RAM, replaceable drive, etc.)
  • MUST have AC wifi - I have high-speed Orbi networking and want to utilize it to the best I can especially if we choose to use Shadow to play on the couch
  • SSD is preferred, but not required as I have several low-end SSD's which I could toss into the computer to replace the sub-par HDD.
  • Keyboard Backlighting is a MAJOR plus, but can be considered a requirement (no rainbow puke tho, pls)

Before people start rampaging on about how "you can save so much money by buying a desktop and doing NVidia Game Stream or Steam Stream!" I know, however I would rather pay for the slightly more sub-par experience to be able to play anywhere in the world on a Shadow virtual box. I know what I want and all I am asking for are recommendations. I will happily pick the top three as my answers for each laptop. When you are making a recommendation, please let me know why you selected the computer over something else and if possible, please provide multiple suggestions per category. I just want all the info possible so I can make the best decision possible.

Finally, I want to thank you all in advanced who reply and help me and my GF find the next laptop for us.

Mainline: MacBook Air M1 Display(s): Acer K272HUL; VIOTEK - GNV32DB Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech M720/K780 Sound: AirPods 3 Operating System: MacOS Phone: iPhone 13 Pro (Graphite)

Two Thinkpads.

For the more expensive, either a used X-series, T(S)-series, or X1 (Carbon). For the cheaper one, same deal but older generations.

X-series and T-series will be most upgradable, followed by TS and finally the X1/X1C. The latter two will be the thinnest and lightest.

EDIT: Models will depend on what you can get locally since that's generally the best place to get them unless your local market really sucks. Just get the newest thing you can, or the newest one that fits your needs.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

6 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Two Thinkpads.

For the more expensive, either a used X-series, T(S)-series, or X1 (Carbon). For the cheaper one, same deal but older generations.

X-series and T-series will be most upgradable, followed by TS and finally the X1/X1C. The latter two will be the thinnest and lightest.

EDIT: Models will depend on what you can get locally since that's generally the best place to get them unless your local market really sucks. Just get the newest thing you can, or the newest one that fits your needs.

Many thanks. I was looking into a Lenovo Yoga 730 13 for the high-end and the Lenovo Ideapad 330 15.6" for the low end. But what recommendations (exact generation ones, especially with the more expensive since I need thunderbolt 3) can you give? I am mostly looking online (eBay, Amazon, Wish, AliExpress, etc.) as I don't have a car, nor want one at this time.

Mainline: MacBook Air M1 Display(s): Acer K272HUL; VIOTEK - GNV32DB Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech M720/K780 Sound: AirPods 3 Operating System: MacOS Phone: iPhone 13 Pro (Graphite)

2 hours ago, Joseph Stacklin said:

Many thanks. I was looking into a Lenovo Yoga 730 13 for the high-end and the Lenovo Ideapad 330 15.6" for the low end. But what recommendations (exact generation ones, especially with the more expensive since I need thunderbolt 3) can you give? I am mostly looking online (eBay, Amazon, Wish, AliExpress, etc.) as I don't have a car, nor want one at this time.

Don't get laptops on Aliexpress, don't even visit Wish.

Look on eBay or local things like Craigslist or Kijiji.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈