New monitor

Tzztr Rrtr

Hey everyone,

so I am thinking about getting a new monitor. There is just one question that I have to answer:

Decent 1440p @ 144Hz

vs.

Good 1080p @ 144Hz

My current system runs a ryzen5 1600 and a 1060 6Gb with 2 1080p 24" screens.

I know that 1440p doesn't make much sense there, but! It kinda does, or so I believe. I know that I wanna upgrade my system in the coming months. If I get a 1440p model now I will have the benefit of higher pixel density on the desktop, and in games that my system can't handle at 1440p I could downscale until I have the upgraded system.

What do you guys think? And could you suggest some 24" monitors? I am looking to spend about 300€, I might be able to stretch 350.

5 minutes ago, Tzztr Rrtr said:

Decent 1440p @ 144Hz

vs.

Good 1080p @ 144Hz

Honestly, what's the point in getting the 1440p? Make sure you also take response times into account when looking at models. Huge difference in games.

I honestly don't care too much to upgrade to 1440p and still have a really good 1080p monitor with a 4k tv for content consumption. If you really want to and can afford it sure. Upgrade to 1440. No one stopping you. But I recommend saving the extra buck (if any) and just focusing on better hardware if you want it.

Personally waiting for 4k monitors with good enough levels of gaming that isn't a huge hit to the bank.

I fix computers for a government that is garbage. I'm also a certified security professional according to Comptia

Using my paycheck on computer parts and alcohol and since this is a tech form I'll help with computer stuff I guess

8 minutes ago, Dougarooo said:

Honestly, what's the point in getting the 1440p? Make sure you also take response times into account when looking at models. Huge difference in games.

I honestly don't care too much to upgrade to 1440p and still have a really good 1080p monitor with a 4k tv for content consumption. If you really want to and can afford it sure. Upgrade to 1440. No one stopping you. But I recommend saving the extra buck (if any) and just focusing on better hardware if you want it.

Personally waiting for 4k monitors with good enough levels of gaming that isn't a huge hit to the bank.

I see, so what 1080p monitor would you suggest?

36 minutes ago, Tzztr Rrtr said:

I see, so what 1080p monitor would you suggest?

All depends on taste

I personally have this monitor

The color accuracy is a little off but that's a blow I'm willing to take for 1ms response and 165hz. It's also gsync compatible without the actual gsync chip. I really like the monitor for how big it is and it's metal base construction. Probably will by another one of these in the future if not a full upgrade to an ultra wide.

Other than that I haven't tried any long enough to give a good recommendation to it. You can search newegg for certain criteria and find what meets and look at some reviews if you need more recommendations from people that have bought those products.

I fix computers for a government that is garbage. I'm also a certified security professional according to Comptia

Using my paycheck on computer parts and alcohol and since this is a tech form I'll help with computer stuff I guess

1 minute ago, Dougarooo said:

You can search newegg

Ah, but I am EU based, hence the 300-350€ and not Dollar range :P

And that one is too big, looking for a 24"

8 minutes ago, Tzztr Rrtr said:

And that one is too big, looking for a 24"

The general rule is 24" = 1080p, 27" = 1440p. So you would be looking for a 1080p display.

I would get one of those just released 1080p IPS 144hz monitors. AOC and LG should have some, but they are hard to find yet.

Acer VG240YP, AOC 24G2 are 2 of the models available right now. 

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

6 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

Acer VG240YP, AOC 24G2

Hmm, but the ones I find here with those model numbers are 75Hz :(

Aaah! For the AOC if it has a U at the end it's 75Hz, the one without the U is 144Hz

Edited by Tzztr Rrtr

1 minute ago, Tzztr Rrtr said:

Hmm, but the ones I find here with those model numbers are 75Hz :(

Then the 144hz variants aren't sold there yet..

Then there is the asus ips 1080p one, but that is 27inch.

If you truly want 24inch, then the MSI VA panels are all i can think of besides a TN.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

2 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Then there is the asus ips 1080p one, but that is 27inch.

Asus VG279Q - This one?

4 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

If you truly want 24inch

So I wanna go 24 cuz I think 27 might be too large for my desk, but I'd be willing to try it. I'm just not sure if 1080p on a 27 will look good, or if I'd be better of with a 1440p at that point?