Build Day Approaches - How do?

Stark_Source

Hi Everyone, 

So, all the parts have arrived. I've OD'ed on YouTube Build videos, and I think I'm just going to have to build that damn thing. But, I've a few questions:

1) What's your procedure when building? 

• What order to you install things?
  • Do you install each component, and cable everything up later?
  • Do you install and cable up each component as you go?
  • How do you keep track of everything you have to not forget?
  • Do you install out of the box first, to test run?
  • How do you actually do a test run? I mean, when I turn on the new rig with no OS, how do I know everything is in order?

Any help answering any of these questions would be very much appreciated. Thank God for this forum, that's all I have to see!

Newb Out.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 █ MOBO: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 ATX AM3+ █ FAN: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM █ RAM: Ballitix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 █ GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB █ SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM █ PSU: EVGA 750W ATX12V / EPS12V █ Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tow Monitor: Dell P2414H 23.8"

Get the motherboard out of the box, place it on the box itself. Place the CPU in there and the CPU cooler ofcourse ( with thermal paste ;-).

Continue with installing the ram and after that install the motherboard, get all the connections right and add the GPU/Hard Drives.

And from step one till' the last step make sure your cable management is decent.

After installing the OS you can stress test your parts with the software you prefer.

Get the motherboard out of the box, place it on the box itself. Place the CPU in there and the CPU cooler ofcourse ( with thermal paste ;-).

Continue with installing the ram and after that install the motherboard, get all the connections right and add the GPU/Hard Drives.

And from step one till' the last step make sure your cable management is decent.

After installing the OS you can stress test your parts with the software you prefer.

Any recommendations on good testing software?

CPU: AMD FX-8350 █ MOBO: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 ATX AM3+ █ FAN: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM █ RAM: Ballitix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 █ GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 780 3GB █ SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM █ PSU: EVGA 750W ATX12V / EPS12V █ Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tow Monitor: Dell P2414H 23.8"

• MOBO,CPU,RAM,CPU COOLER,GPU,HDD,FANS,PSU.

No, I do it the other way.

Just keep everything in front of you. Take your time while building it.Have good workspace

Well if you're new to building a pc, try a test run. if not, then  don't.

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

• What order to you install things?

You can look at Linus building guides for that. Usually, motherboard on the box, CPU, heatsink, RAM, GPU and PSU to test if everything is powered. Then remove GPU, and install the motherboard inside the case. Start wiring everything (ex: front panel connectors) and then GPU and storage in, with expansion cards (ex: wireless adapter) and I finalize the cables.

• Do you install each component, and cable everything up later?

I wire the components as I place them (ex: CPU fan) but for most things, I just wait until motherboard is inside the case, with CPU and heatsink and RAM installed, then I put the 8-pins and 24-pins. Then, I wire a component as I add it.

• Do you install and cable up each component as you go?

See previous answer.

• How do you keep track of everything you have to not forget?

There aren't that many components, I just place all my boxes on the table, and I'll see what is remaining. If you follow a guide, you won't have that problem. Your system won't work if you forget an important component (ex: CPU fan, RAM, storage) so you'll notice right away. :P

• Do you install out of the box first, to test run?

Yes, it's easier like that. I install the heatsink while the MB is still outside of the case, and then I drop it in like that, and install the PSU, GPU and storage.

• How do you actually do a test run? I mean, when I turn on the new rig with no OS, how do I know everything is in order?

Pay attention to any beep, but if you take your time it should be fine. Of course, some components might be DOA, but you'll notice when you start doing your "not booting troubleshooting". Once the OS is installed, you can stress test the CPU, do benchs on the GPU, test the RAM, etc. (make sure you have installed the drivers before)

Worth noting that if you wanna install case fans, this is the first thing you do.

Install the PSU into the case and rout the cables through the case.

I would install the RAM and CPU (+ cpu cooler) on to the mobo outside the case. I would then install the mobo, and plug in all the small front panel connectors.

Cd drive and hard drives now, plug in sata connectors to the mobo and power cables to the PSU.

Plug in all your remaining cables and cable tie if you want :D

THEN, lastly, plug in your GPU and power it. Its so big that you should install it last so its not in the way of everything else.

and there you go :D

To test run without an OS, power on you PC either with the switch (has to be plugged in) or on your mobo. It should go to you BIOS automatically cause you dont have an OS. If it goes to the BIOS, youre good :D

[CPU: 4670k] [CPU Cooler: Antec Kühler 1220] [Case: Obsidian 350D] [Mobo: Maximus VI Gene] [RAM: Vengeance Pro 8GB] [GPU: 770 DirectCU II] [PSU: CX750M

[Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 120GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB] [Screen: Dell U2312HM 23" E-IPS] [Keyboard: Steelseries Apex RAW]

To test run without an OS, power on you PC either with the switch (has to be plugged in) or on your mobo. It should go to you BIOS automatically cause you dont have an OS. If it goes to the BIOS, youre good :D

So, if, say, the CPU, fan, GPU, or RAM etc. is faulty, DOA, or not powered properly, it won't go to BIOS on test boot-up? 

Pay attention to any beep, but if you take your time it should be fine. Of course, some components might be DOA, but you'll notice when you start doing your "not booting troubleshooting". Once the OS is installed, you can stress test the CPU, do benchs on the GPU, test the RAM, etc. (make sure you have installed the drivers before)

"Not Booting Troubleshooting"? Is there any specific procedure around this exactly? 

And yes, that another this, driver installation. What exactly do I have to remember here? What drivers do I need to make sure I update online. I have been advised not to use installation CDs but just to go straight to appropriate websites. I imagine I need drivers for GPU, but do I need to update MOBO and CPU and others too?

So, if, say, the CPU, fan, GPU, or RAM etc. is faulty, DOA, or not powered properly, it won't go to BIOS on test boot-up? 

It may, but it might not show up in the BIOS. For example, you can see your GPU, but the BIOS will still appear if you dont have it.

you can see if fans are working or not because theyre supposed to spin :P

[CPU: 4670k] [CPU Cooler: Antec Kühler 1220] [Case: Obsidian 350D] [Mobo: Maximus VI Gene] [RAM: Vengeance Pro 8GB] [GPU: 770 DirectCU II] [PSU: CX750M

[Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 120GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB] [Screen: Dell U2312HM 23" E-IPS] [Keyboard: Steelseries Apex RAW]

"Not Booting Troubleshooting"? Is there any specific procedure around this exactly? 

And yes, that another this, driver installation. What exactly do I have to remember here? What drivers do I need to make sure I update online. I have been advised not to use installation CDs but just to go straight to appropriate websites. I imagine I need drivers for GPU, but do I need to update MOBO and CPU and others too?

Well it depends on what kind of problem you have when you boot. (beeps, display, etc)

if you have any problem look online, and you'll find procedures depending on the problem (ex: removing a RAM module, etc) Don't worry too much about that ;)

Windows will get the drivers for just about everything, but you'll need to update the GPU drivers and MB drivers. Your computer will run fine, but it's best to get the latest chipset drivers, LAN, audio, and other drivers from the MB manufacturer's website. Other than that it's alright, only GPU drivers and maybe SSD drivers/utilities, wireless adapter if any, and so on.

The same way as Linus does (tough with this build I didn't do the DOA test):

1. Take out the board and all the important stuff that came with it, put it on the box.

2. Put the CPU to the socket, I use stock heatsink so I installed that too.

3. Put RAM to the DIMM slots.

(optional) DOA test

4. Install the standoffs into the case and put the motherboard in, secure with screws.

5. Put the PSU in and do some basic wiring (24-pin, 8-pin)

6. Connect the front I/O

7. Put the HDD/SSD in, wire up.

8. Connect everything you didn't (fans etc.)

9. Tidy up the cables.

10. Put the GPU in there, wire it up and tidy up the cables.

And that's it. I can't tell you when it's the easiest to install a heatsink, but Linus has that covered :)

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

Cool, peeps. That sounds pretty clear. Will have the laptop to hand for any forum questions that come up during the process. Thanks all! You're all bloody brilliant! :-)