Trying to clean install windows 7 but PC keeps crashing/freezing/rebooting

shouldiluvu

Hi everyone. 
As the title states, can anyone help me with my problem?

It’s a Lenovo AIO PC, B500

Had problems for a very long time (around 2 years) about constant crashing and freezing/hang when using my PC and thought that it was due to my HDD problem.

So I went out to purchase and new HDD yesterday and wanted to try a clean install of windows 7. But to my horror, nothing changed, my PC is still crashing and freezing constantly. Since it’s a new HDD, when I’m trying to install windows 7, normally at the “expanding windows files” stage my PC would give me problems.
Up to now. I have already 2 different types of BSOD.
B5624-AB9-5-CDA-4369-BFF5-A9-EE290-EB365
890-B4135-D753-4-C35-858-F-12-E39666-D37

Steps I have taken to try to dignose the problem,
MemTest86, tried 1 card at a time, I have 2x2GB cards, found out 1 of the slots is faulty, so I can only run my PC on 2GB of ram. Both ram sticks no problem.
Windows memory diagnostics, same, no problem.

0x0000001A sounds like a RAM problem indeed.  Seeing as you found one of the RAM slots to not work, there might be a short circuit or something which can cause the occasional BSOD.

0x00000101 (the second picture) points to the CPU being unresponsive. 

The big question here : is it the RAM slot that's causing the CPU to lock up creating the second BSOD code?  Or is there something wrong with the CPU causing it to report random errors ... like for example a bad RAM slot?  If part of the CPU itself failed and it can't detect that RAM slot as a result, all bets are off.

With the info I gathered from your post, the first thing I would do is look for a compatible CPU that I can borrow.  Assuming that it is a socketed CPU, of course. 

A quick search reveals that the B500 has a Core 2 Quad Q8400S, which would be socket 775.  That's OLD.

Then again either option is bad. 

If it's the RAM slot that's causing the BSODs even with no RAM inside it, forget about fixing that.  You basically have to scrap the motherboard. 

If it's the CPU ... do you really want to buy a second-hand CPU in an attempt to squeeze that bit more life out of a 10 year old machine?  What if it blows a capacitor next week?

4 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

0x0000001A sounds like a RAM problem indeed.  Seeing as you found one of the RAM slots to not work, there might be a short circuit or something which can cause the occasional BSOD.

0x00000101 (the second picture) points to the CPU being unresponsive. 

The big question here : is it the RAM slot that's causing the CPU to lock up creating the second BSOD code?  Or is there something wrong with the CPU causing it to report random errors ... like for example a bad RAM slot?  If part of the CPU itself failed and it can't detect that RAM slot as a result, all bets are off.

With the info I gathered from your post, the first thing I would do is look for a compatible CPU that I can borrow.  Assuming that it is a socketed CPU, of course. 

A quick search reveals that the B500 has a Core 2 Quad Q8400S, which would be socket 775.  That's OLD.

Then again either option is bad. 

If it's the RAM slot that's causing the BSODs even with no RAM inside it, forget about fixing that.  You basically have to scrap the motherboard. 

If it's the CPU ... do you really want to buy a second-hand CPU in an attempt to squeeze that bit more life out of a 10 year old machine?  What if it blows a capacitor next week?

Thanks for your reply and insight!! Really appreciate it.

so basically, what you suggest is just getting a new PC?

It depends.  If you only put a stick in the good RAM slot, does the PC work properly or does it still BSOD? 

If you can keep it running with just one stick of RAM, by all means keep using it.  But if you need to spend any kind of money on it, you may want to ask yourself if it still makes sense to do so. 

4 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

It depends.  If you only put a stick in the good RAM slot, does the PC work properly or does it still BSOD? 

If you can keep it running with just one stick of RAM, by all means keep using it.  But if you need to spend any kind of money on it, you may want to ask yourself if it still makes sense to do so. 

I’m only running on 1 stick of RAM but still getting those 2 BSOD plus those rebooting/crashing issue.

Well, I guess I’ll just build myself a new PC then.

thanks so much. :)