Stranded vs Solid Bulk Cat6

rbrowne11

With my research I've done, I have narrowed it down to either Stranded UTP, CM or Solid STP, CM bulk Cat6 that I want to purchase. The problem is I'm not sure what will be the best for my application. I want to run it about 50ft to my bedroom of a rental so it will just be tucked into the corners of the walls instead of inside, but still might need to be durable like solid Cat6. I figure I will buy bulk since I will use it in a lot of other instances and it's cheaper this way. Any suggestions or personal experiences with solid vs stranded?

It depends if you are using crystals or blocks for your ends.

image.png.b6945ed46b55b0b0eb67749688e7b76c.png = Stranded

image.png.34c8200d522a070509aa7179559c9258.png = Solid Core

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

18 hours ago, rbrowne11 said:

With my research I've done, I have narrowed it down to either Stranded UTP, CM or Solid STP, CM bulk Cat6 that I want to purchase. The problem is I'm not sure what will be the best for my application. I want to run it about 50ft to my bedroom of a rental so it will just be tucked into the corners of the walls instead of inside, but still might need to be durable like solid Cat6. I figure I will buy bulk since I will use it in a lot of other instances and it's cheaper this way. Any suggestions or personal experiences with solid vs stranded?

The general rule of thumb is that solid core are for backbone runs (eg: runs that go through the walls, etc). And stranded core is for the “patch cable” that runs from the wall outlet to your final device. 

You can use stranded here, if you NEED to, (particularly if there are bends in the installation that make running solid core impractical or impossible), but solid core is more ideal because it’s less susceptible to interference and is generally more durable over the long term. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)