Problem with my screen while playing video games

Hello, everyone!

I am not sure if my problem is related to my graphics card or to my graphics drivers, so some help would be really appreciated.

My laptop specifications are the following: Laptop Gaming OMEN by HP Laptop 15-dc1027nq, Intel® Core™ i7-8750H  4.10 GHz, Coffee Lake, 15.6", Full HD, IPS, 144Hz, 16GB, 1TB + 512GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB, Windows 10 64bit.

I recently started having a weird problem. While playing games (specifically Dragon Age Inquisition) my screen randomly turn blacks, like it goes in sleep mode, but I can still hear the sounds in the background. The system is totally unresponsive though, when that happens I can only press the power button to shut it down and then when I open my laptop everything is fine. It can happen anytime, 5 minutes in the game, or 50 minutes in the game, there doesn't seem to be any pattern. It's not like it happens when I am in the middle of a battle or when the laptop has to use a lot of resources. I noticed that if I play with the laptop on battery, it does not happen anymore, but as soon as I plug it in, in a few seconds the screen turns black.

I updated my graphics drivers, my Windows, I used CCleaner, I checked the temperatures of my laptop while playing and they seem to be in the accepted range, I changed my power settings so the laptop never goes in sleep mode...

I have to mention that up until a few days ago I could play games just fine with no issues, it all started happening out of the blue. My laptop is very new, I bought it just two months ago and had no issues up until this started happening.

Any ideas how to fix it or what might be the problem?

Thank you!

could be an gpu issue... it might be new, but that doesnt mean its working perfectly, id do a clean install and see if the problem persists(spell check)  if it does it send it to warranty check up.... and have them test the gpu, or you could do a stress test yourself to see if it will happen then...  but then again i assume ur laptop has a intel uhd gpu also...  so fresh install and try to play it would be my first try...

Some EU input to Canadian IT :D 

5 hours ago, nextg3n said:

could be an gpu issue... it might be new, but that doesnt mean its working perfectly, id do a clean install and see if the problem persists(spell check)  if it does it send it to warranty check up.... and have them test the gpu, or you could do a stress test yourself to see if it will happen then...  but then again i assume ur laptop has a intel uhd gpu also...  so fresh install and try to play it would be my first try...

Thanks, I will try a clean install. I tried the stress test and it turned out ok... I watched a movie today and it worked just fine, the problem always seems to appear while playing video games. I also tried GeForce Experience to optimize my game settings while playing but it didn't help.