New MOBO+ CPU now cant boot windows

I read that i need a new clean install of windows on a new motherboard/cpu but i didnt know of that before changing everything and booting the new setup so i have no backups whatsoever.

Is there any way to repair windows/ use the same install of windows on the upgraded pc? i dont care much about the license but its too much of a hassle to clean install everything.

I'm trying to create a bootable windows on a USB to see if i can repair it anyway using this as a reference https://www.wintips.org/how-to-replace-motherboard-without-re-installing-windows/ but not sure if it's gonna work or not so any ideas?

Just now, F___M said:

what is the error you are getting?

no specific error just that theres no boot to windows or the option to, windows here being the one i used on old mobo. BIOS saying it isnt detecting any bootable devices/ windows

Specs of your new system?

Pictures perhaps?

Sounds like the drive isn't connected to power or data, or both even if you're using a regular SATA drive.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Windows 10. Previous specs were i5-3550 with a gigabyte p75-d3 rev 1.0 Motherboard

new specs are Asus prime Z390-A motherboard with a core i5-9600k. I used a usb windows install to use command prompt and open the regedit, there i found all my drive so they are working but the z390 motherboard wont boot windows

4 minutes ago, F___M said:

make sure you are using ahci and legacy boot (not UEFI) boot mode.

still nothing, it's detecting my USB but not my SSD or my HDD

3 minutes ago, F___M said:

bios does not see the all the drives?

Only the USB not the ssd nor the HDD or the external HDD

CSM should be set to enabled.  Legacy bios boot. AHCI drive type.  The USB is uefi aware.  If the uefi bios is set to boot to a uefi device, and your previous hard drive is probably MBR boot, it will not boot without changing settings in bios.

6 hours ago, F___M said:

CSM should be set to enabled.  Legacy bios boot. AHCI drive type.  The USB is uefi aware.  If the uefi bios is set to boot to a uefi device, and your previous hard drive is probably MBR boot, it will not boot without changing settings in bios.

just right after i sent last msg i enabled something i think it was CSM and my windows booted, but even though im logged in was being told my windows isnt activated and when i tried to activate through claiming device change, even though it shows me my old pc/specs it still fails lul

1 minute ago, F___M said:

you would have to sign in with a microsoft account to transfer the license.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

im already logged in though or atleast i should be, i just finished installing the ASUS stuff and going to restart and check it again,

I'd like to ask you though one of my RAM sticks isnt being detected by the PC and instead of 16gigs it's just 8 got any tips please?

4 minutes ago, F___M said:

are they all the same model/type? does bios see 16G?

BIOS sees 8gb and same model/type, you think i might have installed it incorrectly?

the grey slots A2, B2

Installed them already with one ram slot inbetween

swap them then. and dont use the black slots.

Aight will do later, last question though. I've read about that using the same windows that was installed on an different cpu/motherboard on this new motherboard/cpu can cause it's performance to suffer a bit due to old drivers and what not? Is there such a thing or is it fine? or do you suggest doing a Fresh Start?

I RARELY suggest a clean install.  Add all the drivers from the support disk.  run>

sfc /scannow

from a command prompt (admin) to check the system file intregrity. 

If it has problems it cannot fix, you will have to run >

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

if that runs successfully, you will have to run> 

sfc /scannow again to fix the files.

If the machine is clean and free of malware, you should be good to go.

42 minutes ago, F___M said:

I RARELY suggest a clean install.  Add all the drivers from the support disk.  run>

sfc /scannow

from a command prompt (admin) to check the system file intregrity. 

If it has problems it cannot fix, you will have to run >

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

if that runs successfully, you will have to run> 

sfc /scannow again to fix the files.

If the machine is clean and free of malware, you should be good to go.

You're right, ended up finding some corrupted files that couldnt be reapired so used the restorehealth now there shouldnt be any more corrupted files.

Mate Honestly you're a life saver, thank you very much.

5 minutes ago, F___M said:

ok, good deal, I hope you ran sfc again though for the final fix :)

Yeah I did, it said it found some corrupted files but fixed em automatically. 

Last question btw does AIDA 64's stress test end after a while or is it a start and stop it yourself type of stress test? Want to test CPU temps to try and see if cooling was installed correctly and left aida on and planning on sleeping

I do not know.  I dont use it. sorrie.  There may be a better stress test solution out there, but you would have to start a new thread.