Gigabyte X570 BIOS

I'm currently waiting on parts for my new AMD build. I purchased an Aorus Elite x570 board, a 3600X, and Trident 3600 DDR4 memory. I've been reading a lot about BIOS updates improving performance of the Ryzen 3000 CPU's, and already have the BIOS file on a thumb drive ready to go. I've also ready topics about updating the BIOS causing the board to take a dump. What is the best way to update the BIOS on these boards? What's the best way for it to update properly without causing any headaches? 

Any tips about this are appreciated. 

TF Smith

If you're really worried about it:

1. Plug your computer into a UPS.
  2. Don't touch anything while it's updating.

...not really much else to it. I don't see Dual BIOS being a feature on your board but that's a great plus in case anything goes wrong.

Someone just posted recently about their update causing their Windows install to stop working but if you haven't installed an OS yet then you may be able to avoid his issue.

EDIT: Actually you guys have the exact same motherboard...maybe you should hold off updating the BIOS for a bit:

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

If you're really worried about it:

1. Plug your computer into a UPS.
  2. Don't touch anything while it's updating.

...not really much else to it. I don't see Dual BIOS being a feature on your board but that's a great plus in case anything goes wrong.

Someone just posted recently about their update causing their Windows install to stop working but if you haven't installed an OS yet then you may be able to avoid his issue.

EDIT: Actually you guys have the exact same motherboard...maybe you should hold off updating the BIOS for a bit:

I'm going to install windows again! Hope it works :)

Everything Digital

2 minutes ago, Jonathan=PC said:

I'm going to install windows again! Hope it works :)

You beat me telling you that I found this guy. If you're willing to start from scratch it'd be a good indicator as to weather or not OP here will have problems once he updates his BIOS. Are you willing to update your BIOS again? When you go to install the OS make sure the installer is set for UEFI & GPT. Give you the best chances of success.

7 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

You beat me telling you that I found this guy. If you're willing to start from scratch it'd be a good indicator as to weather or not OP here will have problems once he updates his BIOS. Are you willing to update your BIOS again? When you go to install the OS make sure the installer is set for UEFI & GPT. Give you the best chances of success.

I have updated it to the newest again. After the OS is installed i'll update you guys!

Everything Digital

39 minutes ago, TFSmith383 said:

I'm currently waiting on parts for my new AMD build. I purchased an Aorus Elite x570 board, a 3600X, and Trident 3600 DDR4 memory. I've been reading a lot about BIOS updates improving performance of the Ryzen 3000 CPU's, and already have the BIOS file on a thumb drive ready to go. I've also ready topics about updating the BIOS causing the board to take a dump. What is the best way to update the BIOS on these boards? What's the best way for it to update properly without causing any headaches? 

Any tips about this are appreciated. 

TF Smith

Just don't update bios. It's been a 'hell' of a ride and my memory still doesn't reach xmp speeds. 

I have also tried the tomahawk and that one failed on me. So... I would not update a bios. 

Everything Digital

1 minute ago, Jonathan=PC said:

I have updated it to the newest again. After the OS is installed i'll update you guys!

Thank you, I appreciate it. Let me know how it goes!

6 minutes ago, TFSmith383 said:

Thank you, I appreciate it. Let me know how it goes!

If we can figure out his problem then we'll say weather or not updating yours is a good or bad idea. It's possible the current latest BIOS is bad. In a sense. It could just be a problem with his Windows 10 install and the update itself where a re-install of Windows will fix everything.

We'll see.

17 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

If we can figure out his problem then we'll say weather or not updating yours is a good or bad idea. It's possible the current latest BIOS is bad. In a sense. It could just be a problem with his Windows 10 install and the update itself where a re-install of Windows will fix everything.

We'll see.

Yeah, because of the new bios update my windows just imploded.. 

I reinstalled it and windows works again, but I am still not getting my rated 3200mhz RAM tho. 

Everything Digital

1 hour ago, Jonathan=PC said:

Yeah, because of the new bios update my windows just imploded.. 

I reinstalled it and windows works again, but I am still not getting my rated 3200mhz RAM tho. 

BIOS updates are sometimes for stability (like RAM overclocking) but not always and there's no guarantee they'll help what you're trying to do. Sometimes it comes down to the strength of the CPU's memory controller.

@OP. So it seems with your motherboard if you're doing a fresh Windows install you should be fine by doing the BIOS update. Down the road should you update again be wary that this issue may occur. Make sure you back-up everything on your drives and disconnect them prior to updating.

Guess I'll be going that route then. My CPU and memory will coming in tomorrow, so I'll flash the MOBO before installing everything else, then do a fresh install of Window.

Thanks for your input fellas!

Well had some issues with my new build. Did the latest BIOS update with no issues, then did a fresh Windows 10 install on my SSD. Everything good so far. Get Windows running and start downloading updates and drivers.

A few minutes on Windows and the whole desktop locks up. A shutdown error comes up saying clock watchdog timeout. I restart the PC, but it's the same thing over and over again. Cannot stay on Windows long enough to update drivers to see if that's the issue.

Since then, I've rolled back the BIOS back to F3 and F4 with no changes. I've reinstalled windows on another hard drive with no change. I've pulled the memory sticks one by one, with no change. 

I've looked up possible solutions, and the majority of them are "update your drivers". Anyone have any input?

The Trident DDR4 3600 memory is not on the Gigabyte supported list, but I wouldn't think it would be an issue if Windows starts up.