Used Wrong motherboard screw and then replaced it with correct one

Yiannis15

Hello I used a wrong screw (PSU screw) for motherboard and then replaced with the correct one. Is the standoff destroyed now because of the wrong screw? Is it ok that I put the correct one without changing the standoff

5 minutes ago, Yiannis15 said:

Hello I used a wrong screw (PSU screw) for motherboard and then replaced with the correct one. Is the standoff destroyed now because of the wrong screw? Is it ok that I put the correct one without changing the standoff

I did this myself A week ago, couldn’t get it out anymore so just left it. 

Just try try to screw in the correct one either it works or it doesn’t 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

1 minute ago, Stormseeker9 said:

I did this myself A week ago, couldn’t get it out anymore so just left it. 

Just try try to screw in the correct one either it works or it doesn’t 

My question is if the standoff is ruined by removing the PSU screw. And if it's not stable for the correct screw

Depends how hard you tried to screw it in (if at all). If you didn't try all that hard before removing it then it's most likely fine. You don't have much to lose by putting the proper screw in and seeing if it threads smoothly.

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Depends how hard you tried to screw it in (if at all). If you didn't try all that hard before removing it then it's most likely fine. You don't have much to lose by putting the proper screw in and seeing if it threads smoothly.

I took the wrong screw out quite easily. It was spinning in place when u screwing and lift it with my hand

17 minutes ago, Yiannis15 said:

I took the wrong screw out quite easily. It was spinning in place when u screwing and lift it with my hand

That wasn't a PSU screw then if it fell in the hole and spun freely. The thread should be fine. I've done this before myself.

12 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

That wasn't a PSU screw then if it fell in the hole and spun freely. The thread should be fine. I've done this before myself.

It didn't spin freely when I was unscrewing it was stuck

Just now, Yiannis15 said:

It didn't spin freely when I was unscrewing it was stuck

Try putting the proper screw in and see how it feels. If it gets stuck going in or if you have to force it then replacing the standoff may be appropriate but I don't think you'll need to.