Help choosing headphones and amp

TheCANNONFODDER

Hello!

I recently switched out my computer and Xonar Essance ST cannot be moved into the new system(no PCI) and the Sennheiser HD215 have become my work headphones. So i am looking to replace my onboard audio(AORUS ELITE) with sony cheapo earbuds with something a bit louder and better sounding. I have been looking at shiit modi+magni(although i wish for a single unit) and creative E5 combined with  beyerdynamic dt 990 pro(250OHM) or Sennheiser HD598 (closed back). I am looking for stand alone DAC/sound card not the ones in computers i had issues with Discord picking up my case fans i think or something like that almost drove me nuts. Headphones i would prefer closed back i really liked my HD215. My questions is:

Is there any better set up with a single unit dac/amp and headphones closed back and preferably high impedance?

Also interested in your set up and experiance with any of these products and any recommendations welcome.

Buget around 400€ for everything

10 minutes ago, TheCANNONFODDER said:

Just get an objective 2? Seems popular.

https://www.amazon.de/nationalen-Objective2-rerverst-JDS-LABS/dp/B00E0DMCO0/ref=sr_1_3?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=ODAC&qid=1569141880&sr=8-3

I'm super lazy about audio and would just pick up this if I wanted something higher end.
https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-pro-gamedac

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

7 minutes ago, TheCANNONFODDER said:

Hello!

I recently switched out my computer and Xonar Essance ST cannot be moved into the new system(no PCI) and the Sennheiser HD215 have become my work headphones. So i am looking to replace my onboard audio(AORUS ELITE) with sony cheapo earbuds with something a bit louder and better sounding. I have been looking at shiit modi+magni(although i wish for a single unit) and creative E5 combined with  beyerdynamic dt 990 pro(250OHM) or Sennheiser HD598 (closed back). I am looking for stand alone DAC/sound card not the ones in computers i had issues with Discord picking up my case fans i think or something like that almost drove me nuts. Headphones i would prefer closed back i really liked my HD215. My questions is:

Is there any better set up with a single unit dac/amp and headphones closed back and preferably high impedance?

Also interested in your set up and experiance with any of these products and any recommendations welcome.

Buget around 400€ for everything

Used the modi/magni stack with the dt990 pro 250 for a couple years.

Loved the dt990s- super comfortable, not the best base but accurate and flat response (just a bit peaky  treble).

Wasn't a huge fan of the magni/modi stack. Had the gen. 1's, so not sure what they have changed. Was nothing major, but some complaints: a) they are too light... the rca plugs weight would pull them off eachother b)driver issues... disconnections/ not being detected on boot/random stuff like that c) the lights on them were insanely bright d)they ran pretty hot.

The magni had no trouble driving the 990s. 

If you want closed back, why not the 770s?

3 minutes ago, WWicket said:

If you want closed back, why not the 770s?

Thank you for the recommedation honestly never poped up in my google search or maybe i thought they were the same.....

13 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

will have a look never heard of the objective 2 as for steelseries i had Razer Megalodon and when they worked they were good but it was like 1.5 years then they craped out and nothing could be done so i didn't look at any "gaming" or all in one systems from gaming companies.

4 minutes ago, TheCANNONFODDER said:

Thank you for the recommedation honestly never poped up in my google search or maybe i thought they were the same.....

will have a look never heard of the objective 2 as for steelseries i had Razer Megalodon and when they worked they were good but it was like 1.5 years then they craped out and nothing could be done so i didn't look at any "gaming" or all in one systems from gaming companies.

Ya, only real reason to go for the headset, is if you really just want a headset. Unless you also want a wireless headset. I can never go back to wired. Have the arctis 7s.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Just now, TheCANNONFODDER said:

Oh. Well they basically are the same, but closed back instead of open. Same driver. Similar sound- still fairly flat except some peaks in the high end. Bass is slightly better than the 990s. Soundstage is worse. A bit less comfortable than the 990s (they don't breathe much). They block out noises fairly well, but will block out noise much more if you switch the earpads from the stock velour to leatherette ones (though the velour feels so nice).

21 minutes ago, TheCANNONFODDER said:

will have a look never heard of the objective 2 

The objective 2 is fine. Very similar performance to the magni. Worse aesthetics, imo. The objective2+odac that adds a dac to the objective 2 is kinda meh. I think the modi is a better dac than the odac.

The Topping d30/a30 stack or the dragonfly red would be my top choices in the same budget as the magni/modi. The dragonfly is a bit anemic for 250ohms headphones though, so I'd only recommend it if you went with the 32ohm dt770/990s. The a30/objective2/ magni will all drive the 250ohm without issue. 

34 minutes ago, WWicket said:

The objective 2 is fine. Very similar performance to the magni. Worse aesthetics, imo. The objective2+odac that adds a dac to the objective 2 is kinda meh. I think the modi is a better dac than the odac.

The Topping d30/a30 stack or the dragonfly red would be my top choices in the same budget as the magni/modi. The dragonfly is a bit anemic for 250ohms headphones though, so I'd only recommend it if you went with the 32ohm dt770/990s. The a30/objective2/ magni will all drive the 250ohm without issue. 

Thank you for the response will take a look at thoes for sure.

50 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Ya, only real reason to go for the headset, is if you really just want a headset. Unless you also want a wireless headset. I can never go back to wired. Have the arctis 7s

Great recommandation I just cannot switch to wireless. I always had issues that were so dumb it was unfathomable.

12 minutes ago, TheCANNONFODDER said:

Thank you for the response will take a look at thoes for sure.

Great recommandation I just cannot switch to wireless. I always had issues that were so dumb it was unfathomable.

My Arctis 7 has been flawless and works throughout my entire house.

Bluetooth audio on PC is broken though for headsets anyways.

Spoiler

The best amp right now under like $300 is the jds labs atom. And great value dac to pair it with is a the topping d10 or the khadas tone board. the schiit magni Modi Ist that good anymore the Modi is still fine but the magni get beat out by the JD's labs atom the monoprice liquid spark, and the geshelli labs archel pro. If you want a closed back for gaming the dt770 is the best in this price range wide soundstage with awesome imaging. Or the one more triple driver or the ATH WS1100is are other options to look into. The HD 598 closed back is frankly not very good

2 hours ago, TheCANNONFODDER said:

The objective 2 is old and not as Good as the atom the atom is much better and basically the objective 2's successor

32 minutes ago, rice guru said:

The best amp right now under like $300 is the jds labs atom. And great value dac to pair it with is a the topping d10 or the khadas tone board the schiit magni Modi. Is not that good anymore the Modi is still fine but the magni get beat out by the JD's labs at, the monoprice liquid spark, and the geshelli labs archel pro. If you want a closed back for gaming the dt770 is the best in this price range wide soundstage with awesome imaging. Or the one more triple driver or the ATH WS1100is are other options to look into. The HD 598 closed back is frankly not very good

Wow... I guess i won't be sleeping tonight :) thank you for the recommandation. I would be really intrested to hear what your picks would be were money no object :D

4 minutes ago, TheCANNONFODDER said:

Wow... I guess i won't be sleeping tonight :) thank you for the recommandation. I would be really intrested to hear what your picks would be were money no object :D

If money was no object.. I mean Sennheiser HE 1's exist

4 hours ago, rice guru said:

If money was no object.. I mean Sennheiser HE 1's exist

Thats an upgrade on the HD820 dream :D

4 hours ago, TheCANNONFODDER said:

hear what your picks would be were money no object :D

Not sure if I had no budget, but high-end budget: yggdrasil > SR009S+SRM-T8000 (Or if I needed closed backs:hd820s+ ragnarok (or WA33 if I was only going to use it for music)).

4 minutes ago, WWicket said:

Not sure if I had no budget, but high-end yggdrasil > SR009S+SRM-T8000 (ragnarok+hd820s if I needed closed backs).

DAMN... some day i guess :D but it would be funny when your drivers would crap out...

1 minute ago, TheCANNONFODDER said:

DAMN... some day i guess :D but it would be funny when your drivers would crap out...

Giant budget? Buy everything in duplicate. Problem solved. lol

2 hours ago, WWicket said:

Not sure if I had no budget, but high-end budget: yggdrasil > SR009S+SRM-T8000 (Or if I needed closed backs:hd820s+ ragnarok (or WA33 if I was only going to use it for music)).

I love my yggdrasil, and the hd800's are real nice aswell. Pair pretty well together with the amp im using.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

2 hours ago, WWicket said:

Giant budget? Buy everything in duplicate. Problem solved. lol

And use external speakers for bass just so it punches your entire body :P

3 hours ago, TheCANNONFODDER said:

Thats an upgrade on the HD820 dream :D

The 820's aren't that great look into focal elex's and focal utopias or higher end audeze models or even Stax those are always fun to look at much more worth the money

14 minutes ago, rice guru said:

The 820's aren't that great look into focal elex's and focal utopias or higher end audeze models or even Stax those are always fun to look at much more worth the money

You are not kidding :D

4 hours ago, WWicket said:

@Derkoli MA9000>B&W 803D3, seriously sick combo. Nice setup ?

It's very good, also have two monoblock power amp's from emotiva, but selling the B&W's soon for something higher end, Most likely martin logan's, or KEF Blade's.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

49 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

It's very good, also have two monoblock power amp's from emotiva, but selling the B&W's soon for something higher end, Most likely martin logan's, or KEF Blade's.

Sold a pair of 803d2's to help fund some JBL M2s, but miss the 803s' sound signature sometimes. 

13 minutes ago, WWicket said:

Sold a pair of 803d2's to help fund some JBL M2s, but miss the 803s' sound signature sometimes. 

Y'all here with $6000  speakers and I'm here with rb42's..