HDD to SSD

Yourmomismyboyfriend

I recently swapped out the hdd on my laptop with an SSD and had a bit of trouble cloning. (Went from 1tb hdd to 512gb SSD. I was told that if the drives are the exact same size, it would be easier. I want to put an SSD in my PC now. I have a 500gb wd hdd. So I was wondering if an adata 512 would clone over easily or if I should just get a 500gb Samsung SSD. (no, my board does not have an m.2 slot). 

7 minutes ago, Yourmomismyboyfriend said:

I was told that if the drives are the exact same size, it would be easie

Opposite. If the drives arent the same size it makes it more difficult, because the drive you're cloning to needs to be the same size or bigger than the original drive.

And what SSD's are you referencing? Something like the MX500 will probably be cheaper than either of those 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

FYI:

For SSD's you need to check closely for size as some will come with less actual free storage as they will "allocate" some of the available space to lower/slow down cell degradation. (This is done by the manufacturer - and the only way to know is to check for reviews of the drive)

If you want a 500GB, I would suggest samsung 850/860 series.
However, you could also go for some cheaper models, like AData and simply get a 1TB drive for the reasons explained by Slottr.

The drivespace you end up with is always advertised size in GB x0,93. so as example 500GB = 465GB~ in reality.

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

Amdahls law > multicore CPU.