which processor should i go for?

levsingh
Go to solution Solved by 91wow,

Moscow Russia

You should be able to find I5's in Russia easier than I7's and xeons. But if you are stuck on the xeon I7 thing, save some money and go for the xeon. It's an I7 but no overclocking support and that's fine for gaming as the xeon at stock won't bottleneck any video card even SLi or crossfire. 

i have msi z87i mobo,16gb dual channel 2400mhz ram,r9 290x and a i3 4340 processor. i am planning to upgrade my processor and i have these 2 choices intel xeon e3-1245v3 or intel i7 4770k?

That would very much depend on the type of work you were planning to do with it. 

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

i7 all the way its unlocked so you can overclock it 

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

That would very much depend on the type of work you were planning to do with it.

strictly for gaming

What's the system being used for?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Are you gaming to high end video editing and rendering? Live streaming? We need more info.

For just gaming a 4670k is enough. 4770k if you do video editing and gaming. The xeon is not really worth it for your kind of pc.

strictly for gaming

Xeon's take a hit in gaming performance, get the 4770k

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

it is being used just for gaming and video rendering sometimes

strictly for gaming

If its strictly gaming 4670k the i7 isnt worth the extra payed

strictly for gaming

then go for the i7  

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

strictly for gaming

Get the 4670k. There's little reason to get an i7 for gaming when the i5 performs pretty much just as well.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If its just gaming then get a 4670k the 4770k is mostly for cad/workstation stuff

"Anything that makes a console more like a PC, makes it better" 

-Linus Sebastian

I5.

You say i5, I say i7 if he has the money.

We all know that gaming in the future will take advantage of hyper threading. Is 4670k able ? no. Is 4770k ? yes.

In which case, in the long run, it will work better with a 4770k, atleast from what I know.

Sadly I don't know anything about the Xeon's, except the fact you can run them in ''sli'' or, 2 of them together.

(Only seen this done by a Livestreamer called Widgitybear btw)

So many people saying i7, i just cannot understand how people think that the 4770 is worth it for gaming, you will see maybe 4-5 FPS difference in any game out to date.

i5 4670k OC'd any day of the week imo.

You say i5, I say i7 if he has the money.

We all know that gaming in the future will take advantage of hyper threading. Is 4670k able ? no. Is 4770k ? yes.

In which case, in the long run, it will work better with a 4770k, atleast from what I know.

Sadly I don't know anything about the Xeon's, except the fact you can run them in ''sli'' or, 2 of them together.

(Only seen this done by a Livestreamer called Widgitybear btw)

By the time games will benefit from more cores he'll need a new system for DDR4 ram and at that point it would make more sens to go with X99 at that time. Since the games will be able to use the 8 cores and hyper threading. 

guys no 4670k for my socket only 4770k available

You are on LGA 1150. The 4670K is LGA 1150. 

but its not available in my place

He also said that he was going to video edit. I say if he has the money to get it, to get it because he can then know he can video edit and do other workstation things easily.

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

but its not available in my place.

where are you from? That could help us. 

He also said that he was going to video edit. I say if he has the money to get it, to get it because he can then know he can video edit and do other workstation things easily.

but even then an I5 is good enough if you aren't doing it for a living. Hell the university down the street from me sues I3's for the video editing class they have and it's fine for it. 

If you aren't doing it for a living and more for a hobby then still the I5 is the best choice until next gen. 

where are you from? That could help us. 

Moscow Russia

Moscow Russia

You should be able to find I5's in Russia easier than I7's and xeons. But if you are stuck on the xeon I7 thing, save some money and go for the xeon. It's an I7 but no overclocking support and that's fine for gaming as the xeon at stock won't bottleneck any video card even SLi or crossfire.