New 2060 super, power cycling

steve nasty
Go to solution Solved by Envit0,

Would say that could be GPU related, but GPU symptoms would not cause the whole PC to shut down so something is definitely power related. Are all cables plugged in correctly in the 2060? Could you borrow from a friend a psu to test? Had same issue quite some time ago when my PSU was close to dying.. Gaming for an hour or so on more demanding games just used to shut off. Change PSU problem gone.

Hey there!

So I'm having a little bit of a confusing issue. Just built a new PC 8 days ago. Had to wait 7 ish days for the GPU (NVIDIA 2060 super, reference) to come in. In that mean time I played off and on with my old GTX970, had no issues. Keep in mind it was light use, not extended periods of time.

Get my new card, slap it in, almost immediately the PC shuts off like my power went out. Everything black, no BSOD, no message. Computer then reboots like nothing happened. Event viewer reads Kernel-power 41, aka unexpected shutoff. This happens multiple times, with varying intervals of time between episodes. Sometimes can go an hour without doing it, sometimes its continuous on startup etc. Typically it happens just while browsing or sitting on my desktop. I go through NVIDIA tech support for a lil while, ends up wanting to RMA the card. 

I put my 970 back in, in prep to RMA the 2060 and it shuts down one more time. The next day (today) I've been on the computer for over an hour and it hasn't occurred with the 970 in the machine. Thinking it might be an issue of power dips with the PSU possibly, and since the 970 might require less power it just isnt running into it as much?

Should I RMA the card or go for a new PSU or something else?

Thanks

EDIT: 

GPU - NVIDIA 2060 SUPER, reference card

CPU - Intel i7-9700k

PSU - Corsair CX750M

MB - MSI mpg z390 ga

RAM - 2x 8GB Corsair Vengence @ 3000

SSD - samsung 970 plus m.2 500gb

Given that changing the GPU changes the symptoms, it's likely the 2060

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Would say that could be GPU related, but GPU symptoms would not cause the whole PC to shut down so something is definitely power related. Are all cables plugged in correctly in the 2060? Could you borrow from a friend a psu to test? Had same issue quite some time ago when my PSU was close to dying.. Gaming for an hour or so on more demanding games just used to shut off. Change PSU problem gone.

On 9/16/2019 at 6:09 AM, Envit0 said:

On 9/15/2019 at 4:11 PM, Fasauceome said:

Given that changing the GPU changes the symptoms, it's likely the 2060

Hey guys sorry for the lack of update. The problem turned out to be the PSU. Replaced the likely faulty Corsair CX750M with a Corsair RM750, little higher quality, same specs for the most part. Thanks for your suggestions!