Failed attempt at repairing a shorted graphics card

CastleCrusher

Ok so I'm not a professional when it comes to things like this but I digress. So I borrowed a heat gun from a friend of mine so I could remove a mosfet shorting out a cheap RX 580 I got. Unfortunately I didn't get the mosfet off on both high and low settings and it gets really hot so that's not the problem. While I'm considering giving up at this point, I think that even with my thin and seemingly unaffective foil shield, the inductors and a capacitor seem to have been tortured under the heat. Should I call it quits or are crooked inductors and lopsided capacitors a secret performance boosting mod? Again, I'm not a professional so some words of encouragement would be really nice right now. Anyways, thanks in advance.

IMG_20190912_190202.jpg

Yiiikes. Never use a heat gun on a single, small component without somehow protecting the surrounding components.

You can try removing it, but you may have damaged the card even more.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

3 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Yiiikes. Never use a heat gun on a single, small component without somehow protecting the surrounding components.

You can try removing it, but you may have damaged the card even more.

Well I used some aluminum foil and basically covered up the whole card but I think I set it too hot anyways.

Your heat gun adventure made.certain the card is dead, If it wasn't before that. Junk it. It's utterly fucked after the heat gun treatment

When working with cards in this case, it's a nice idea to pre-heat the whole PCB to like 100 C or something, then heat up the surrounding area even more. Though, don't trust me on this. Also, I think I remember reading somewhere about only exposing the components to high heat (like, solder-melting heat) for 10-20 seconds or less to minimise damage.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

3 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Your heat gun adventure made.certain the card is dead, If it wasn't before that. Junk it. It's utterly fucked after the heat gun treatment

Well all I know is that at least this isn't my biggest fail in repairing technology. Lol, who am I kidding.

Well right now I'm taking advantage of the heat gun to reflow the GPU on my 780 ti. While it's not the proper way to do it, if the card doesn't artifact when I finish putting it back together, I guess I won't be as disappointed.