Help moving Windows to SSD

so my friend is upgrading soon and believe it or not he has been running on hhd until now and will be getting a ssd.

now when i first moved to ssd i used samsungs migration tool but i dont think it works with non samsung drives.

so anyone any idea about an easy way to move all his shit from his old drive to the new one?

his current drive is 500gb his new one might be only 240gb im not sure what he end up going for but but im sure half of his old drive is just full with his steam library so if we could ommit that and transfer everything else would be great.

any ideas?

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Ideally, he should back up any files he wants to keep then delete everything off the HDD, then install window fresh on the SSD. If he's super committed to keeping everything he has set up he can use EaseUS todo backup.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

The other way to do it would be to remove files off the HDD until its size was small enough to fit on the SSD, then use Macrium or some other software to clone the HDD to the SSD.

A fresh install is a better idea though.