Need to choose which specs are better

jest3946

Hi, I'm planning to buy a laptop for productivity uses. I've narrowed down the laptops within my budget and found two configs:

i3-8145U & MX230

i5-8265U & MX130

Which of these should I choose?

Neither, both GPUs are substantially worse than a Vega 10 iGPU. What laptops are you looking at? What's the budget, country and requirements?

I'm currently in the Philippines and I can't seem to find great deals here. I'm thinking $500-600. I'll play some games on it, but not AAA titles. I'll mostly use it for video editing and image processing.

39 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Neither, both GPUs are substantially worse than a Vega 10 iGPU. What laptops are you looking at? What's the budget, country and requirements?

Even the GM108 MX130 is around GT 1030 levels of performance, which does beat Vega 10. The MX230 is rather new, I haven't seen much performance data on it, but with a GP108, it would hardly be worse than the low end Vega solutions.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

Even the GM108 MX130 is around GT 1030 levels of performance, which does beat Vega 10. The MX230 is rather new, I haven't seen much performance data on it, but with a GP108, it would hardly be worse than the low end Vega solutions.

The MX130 is a 940MX rebrand

The MX230 is a heavily cut-down GT108 so it's nowhere near a 1030

20 minutes ago, jest3946 said:

Please tell if my budget isn't good enough.

Look for an MX150 or MX250 as a bare minimum. Anything less than that is not worth it.

If gaming is a priority, there should be an Acer Aspire 5 with an i5 and MX150/250 in that price bracket