Will this system have bottlenecking?

Hello, I am planning to buy the Acer Aspire E5-476G-38MH for gaming and productivity uses. The specs are:

Intel Core i3-7100U Processor (3M Cache, 2.7 GHz)

4GB DDR4 

1TB HDD

NVIDIA GeForce MX150 2GB GDDR5 VRAM

Would there be bottlenecking on this system?

Is there an alternative you could suggest?

The whole thing is a bottleneck.  The CPU and GPU are both very weak and to not have an SSD boot drive in 2019 is just totally inexcusable even on the most budget of systems.

An alternative depends on your budget.  We could recommend something totally over the top but that's no good if it's more than you need and more than you want to spend.  What would that be (and location)?  And what games and productivity things are you hoping to do?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I'd do some light photo editing, sometimes videos but I think I'll mostly be gaming. I'm happy to give up high graphics in games as long as the system is under $500 and is playable. As for the games,  I'm not really in on the latest games, just from 3 years ago is fine for me.

lmfao, ryan_vickers is right. 
I've had 4 laptops and dont even think about getting a core i3. The thing throttles and is so bottle necked by the 4GB of ram.

I used to have an ASUS x202e and it was terrible. Constant lag, couldn't even hold  6 chrome tabs and skyping was stuttering.

If you want a guideline, then here it is

At least a Core i5
At least a MX 250 ( i recommend GTX 1650 )
At least a hybrid drive (SHDD)
At least 8GB of ram

and in all honestly
i would never get a laptop under $500. 
Paying around $1000 is the best option, trust me its worth it. 
I run on a Core i7-9750H + 1660Ti + 8GB of ram + 512gb PCIE NvME ssd and its so smooth.

do not getting Dual cores except you were using for office and browsing. and 4GB do nothing and worse. at least i5 or R5  a MX150 4GB and ssd required. i know you are tight on budget but you will degrade ur laptop hardware even for 4/6 month of use.

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

It is almost impossible to play any remotely modern title in native resolution on that thing. Also no SSD which means the thing will run painfully slow. I would rather go for something used at that pricepoint.

12 hours ago, JustinDale73 said:

Hello, I am planning to buy the Acer Aspire E5-476G-38MH for gaming and productivity uses. The specs are:

Intel Core i3-7100U Processor (3M Cache, 2.7 GHz)

4GB DDR4 

1TB HDD

NVIDIA GeForce MX150 2GB GDDR5 VRAM

Would there be bottlenecking on this system?

Is there an alternative you could suggest?

That is a very bad laptop for gaming. Very weak CPU and GPU, also RAM will be an issue.

Dell G5 Series 15-inch or a Lenovo Ideapad L340 15″ Gaming Laptop. Both are below $1k

10 hours ago, JustinDale73 said:

I'd do some light photo editing, sometimes videos but I think I'll mostly be gaming. I'm happy to give up high graphics in games as long as the system is under $500 and is playable. As for the games,  I'm not really in on the latest games, just from 3 years ago is fine for me.

If you can limit yourself to games from that era and reduce graphics you should be able to get by with something like a 1650.  For CPU I'd recommend at least 4 cores at a minimum, something like a 8300H, 8550U, 3550H, something in that ballpark at least.  Minimum 8 GB of RAM and an SSD to boot as well.  That combo should be doable at around $600 us.  It's really hard to recommend anything below that price point.  Just as there's diminishing returns on the high end above $1500 and certainly above $2000, there are also diminishing returns below around $600 - that is, you lose a lot of performance without saving much money.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.