Is the Surface Laptop 1 even worth buying?

On amazon the Surface Laptop 1 that has 8gb of ram, an i5 and 256gb of storage is only 700$,
My question is, is that worth it in 2019?
If not, what would be a good alternative? I'm a high school student and I just want something mid range to work for high school and college. My currency is USD and my budget is maxed at 800$

Here is the link to the laptop : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0716J3CYJ/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A2R67SAV3D4GE7&psc=1

If the above link takes you to one that is more than 700$, it is specifically the burgundy one.

Thanks for any help!

Main And Only Build : CPU : Ryzen 5 1600x (OC to 4.2GHz), Cooler : Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 240 TT Premium Edition, Motherboard : Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming, RAM : Trident Z RGB 16GB (2*8) 3000Mhz DDR4, GPU : Gigabyte Gaming GTX 1070 TI, PSU : EVGA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified, Storage : 250GB Samsung 860 Evo + 256GB SU800 + 2TB Seagate HDD.

If you're on a budget then never shop for boutique/novelty products.  Find some normal sized laptop and not something super thin or trying to fit in some other niche.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

2 minutes ago, nick name said:

If you're on a budget then never shop for boutique/novelty products.  Find some normal sized laptop and not something super thin or trying to fit in some other niche.  

Are there any recommendations you can make?

Main And Only Build : CPU : Ryzen 5 1600x (OC to 4.2GHz), Cooler : Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 240 TT Premium Edition, Motherboard : Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming, RAM : Trident Z RGB 16GB (2*8) 3000Mhz DDR4, GPU : Gigabyte Gaming GTX 1070 TI, PSU : EVGA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified, Storage : 250GB Samsung 860 Evo + 256GB SU800 + 2TB Seagate HDD.

2 minutes ago, Maxisthemoose said:

Are there any recommendations you can make?

Honestly, my recommendation is to put in the work and find some examples for folks to debate.  Don't just hop in here and ask folks to do your homework.  If you put the time into finding your machine then you will feel more vested and happy with your purchase.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

3 minutes ago, nick name said:

Honestly, my recommendation is to put in the work and find some examples for folks to debate.  Don't just hop in here and ask folks to do your homework.  If you put the time into finding your machine then you will feel more vested and happy with your purchase.  

I have been looking around and I had come across this and I was just wondering if it was a good deal, or if it wasn't I could get more recommendations

6 hours ago, Maxisthemoose said:

On amazon the Surface Laptop 1 that has 8gb of ram, an i5 and 256gb of storage is only 700$,

Well, over here, the question is not about worth. It's more like whether it'll benefit you.

For the specs, I think it's good for the price. Do note that this thing can't be upgraded, so try to aim for high specs like this one. If you can find a better specs one, maybe consider it first.

Check if the system has warranty. If possible, don't get a demo set. I used Surface Pro 4, got it from a store (demo unit), and the display will start to distort after about 30 minutes to 1 hour of usage. So... Avoid store demo sets.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

11 hours ago, Maxisthemoose said:

I have been looking around and I had come across this and I was just wondering if it was a good deal, or if it wasn't I could get more recommendations

Give us some other examples of what you've found.  Just remember thin-and-light will make everything more expensive.  Which is why laptops in general or the more expensive form factor of computer.  

16 hours ago, Maxisthemoose said:

If not, what would be a good alternative? I'm a high school student and I just want something mid range to work for high school and college. My currency is USD and my budget is maxed at 800$

Here is the link to the laptop : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0716J3CYJ/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A2R67SAV3D4GE7&psc=1

If the above link takes you to one that is more than 700$, it is specifically the burgundy one.

Thanks for any help!

I think you should wait some t=months for the whole 10th gen lineup to come and see if they have options at this price range