PC randomly half POSTS? Head scratcher..

okay, so I'm scratching my head in trying to figure this one out. so my PC has this weird random tic where it will randomly skip the self tests, the mobo splash screen, and show the below image (ignore the dead spot, my ex threw a spoon at my monitor while i was working on a school paper). I thought maybe it meant that the ssd was failing so i bought a new one and its still doing the same thing. its random because sometimes it wont do it and will post and boot up completely normally. Simply hitting the power button and turning it back on 1-4 times has normally then caused it to boot normally and post. but now its increasing in frequency and number of times required to retry to start the pc. Just now it took me 43 times before it finally posted normally. when this screen is shown, the keyboard is unresponsive as as pressing a key doesn't do anything. numlock doesn't work and the keyboard back light does not even turn on. I have no idea what could be causing this as once its on it is completely stable and performance is as it has always been.

I have a 4790k, MSI gd65 z77 mobo, 1866 XMP ddr3 16gb, GTX 980ti, and several ssds and hard drives. I've tried only leaving the boot drive connected and that does not make a difference. I'm not sure what could be causing this other than maybe a failing mobo? i tried disabling the cpu turbo boost thinking maybe the CPU was unstable since its older and that didn't help either.

I'm at a loss. currently just been trying to leave it on but last night the power went out and that's what caused the frustration this morning. I'm hoping someone here has some ideas that maybe I have overlooked.

thank you for your time.

20190910_084857.jpg

7 minutes ago, quigglypoo said:

okay, so I'm scratching my head in trying to figure this one out. so my PC has this weird random tic where it will randomly skip the self tests, the mobo splash screen, and show the below image (ignore the dead spot, my ex threw a spoon at my monitor while i was working on a school paper). I thought maybe it meant that the ssd was failing so i bought a new one and its still doing the same thing. its random because sometimes it wont do it and will post and boot up completely normally. Simply hitting the power button and turning it back on 1-4 times has normally then caused it to boot normally and post. but now its increasing in frequency and number of times required to retry to start the pc. Just now it took me 43 times before it finally posted normally. when this screen is shown, the keyboard is unresponsive as as pressing a key doesn't do anything. numlock doesn't work and the keyboard back light does not even turn on. I have no idea what could be causing this as once its on it is completely stable and performance is as it has always been.

I have a 4790k, MSI gd65 z77 mobo, 1866 XMP ddr3 16gb, GTX 980ti, and several ssds and hard drives. I've tried only leaving the boot drive connected and that does not make a difference. I'm not sure what could be causing this other than maybe a failing mobo? i tried disabling the cpu turbo boost thinking maybe the CPU was unstable since its older and that didn't help either.

I'm at a loss. currently just been trying to leave it on but last night the power went out and that's what caused the frustration this morning. I'm hoping someone here has some ideas that maybe I have overlooked.

thank you for your time.

20190910_084857.jpg

The ole spoon and the ex.  Sorry about that man.  When you post go to BIOS and set everything to defaults or optimized defaults.  Let us take it from there.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

alight i am going to try to get into the bios and reset it.. ill post back here when i get back into windows.

17 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

The ole spoon and the ex.  Sorry about that man.  When you post go to BIOS and set everything to defaults or optimized defaults.  Let us take it from there.

So i went in and reset the Bios and it still did it. Any ideas? I just need this PC to last till spring as that's when im planning a new build the my tax return. Just very Frustrating.

30 minutes ago, quigglypoo said:

thank you for your time.

20190910_084857.jpg

I was having random boot issues with fast boot enabled.  Not exactly like your issue but turning that off fixed my PC's boot.