Custom Water Cooling Temps

lilkooch

Recently setup a custom water loop in my Lian Li case.  Loop order is reservoir -> GPU ->CPU -> 360 Rad -> reservoir.  When idle, both GPU and CPU sit around 27C.  With normal PC use, the CPU will hit mid 50's but when gaming or stress testing the CPU, the CPU will hit mid 80's and pop to 90C once in a while.  For the most part it sits in the mid 70's but jumps at times to the 80's and 90C.  GPU max temps hit 55C while gaming or stress testing.  Something seems off with the CPU hitting that high.  Does that sound correct?  I removed the CPU block and remounted it and everything seems like it is seated fine.  Here is a list of what I am running:

CPU - Intel i7 6700K OCed to 4.5 at 1.3V

GPU - Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti OCed at +120 on clock and +500 on mem

CPU block is the Corsair Hydro XC7

GPU block is the EK-Vector RTX 2080 Ti

I was thinking about removing the CPU block and and trying to do a full remount again but wondering if that wont matter.  Any thoughts?

IMG_3313.jpg

4 minutes ago, lilkooch said:

I assume it is a non-delidded 6700k? Usually I would assume this is an issue with the TIM between the IHS and die. The only ways I can imagine are to dial back the voltage/overclock or delid the CPU.

It is non-delidded 6700k. 

When I dropped back to stock speed and voltage, it would still max out in the mid 80's.  I don't remember it ever hitting 90C but it would pop around 88C then drop.  Again, never have any issues with thermal throttling.  

2 minutes ago, lilkooch said:

-

To me, it sounds within the normal scopes of a non-delidded skyake cpu (I have a 7700K, and the numbers seem to be about the same before I delidded). At least with my cpu after delidding I improved about 20 degrees, and so that takes you to around 60's-70's which is about what I get in my system.

But wait for more opinions, but my one is "thats just the way it is"

nice rig!

since remounting didn't solve this i agree that the problem is probably between the die and the IHS. so yeah, nothing to do about this unless you get a delid kit. 

you could also try setting your pump to max speed, and then running a stress test. if the temps jump as high as they always do than you can be pretty sure it's a problem with the thermal paste inside the CPU.

Can you look into the block, as in a plexi top? Could see if it’s clogged. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

For a single 360mm radiator I'd say you're doing pretty good. I have 3 360mm radiators in the same case and with my fans at about 500rpm I get similar temps. Though I have a 8700k and a 2080ti. If I crank the fans up the temps get lower but my reasoning behind having the extra rads was to keep the speeds/noise down. Typically run them around 900rpm when playing games and cpu hits about 60C and gpu around 50C. 

Have redone my loop 3 times in different cases/components and these temps have been about the same in every loop config I have had. typically 3 rads of various sizes. same d5 pump for all. had 1080ti's in sli before the 2080ti and temps were definitely higher then (60-70c on gpus)

Was very surprised to see my loop temps after all the planning and watching all the test bench reviews from the big guys on youtube. 

Setup: 8700k - Asus Maximus Formula X - EVGA XCII 2080ti - 2x16GB ddr4 3000 - EVGA G3 1000w - Carbon Cablemod Cables- Custom EKWB cooling loop - phanteks enthoo luxe 2

On 9/9/2019 at 11:17 AM, For Science! said:

To me, it sounds within the normal scopes of a non-delidded skyake cpu (I have a 7700K, and the numbers seem to be about the same before I delidded). At least with my cpu after delidding I improved about 20 degrees, and so that takes you to around 60's-70's which is about what I get in my system.

But wait for more opinions, but my one is "thats just the way it is"

I was thinking about delidding my 6700K but if these temps seem in range then I might just let it go for now.

thanks man!

On 9/10/2019 at 12:32 PM, Mick Naughty said:

Can you look into the block, as in a plexi top? Could see if it’s clogged. 

I did and nothing seems to be clogging it.  The flow seems fine and my flow wheel never seems to slow down, haha.  

On 9/9/2019 at 11:25 AM, RollinLower said:

nice rig!

since remounting didn't solve this i agree that the problem is probably between the die and the IHS. so yeah, nothing to do about this unless you get a delid kit. 

you could also try setting your pump to max speed, and then running a stress test. if the temps jump as high as they always do than you can be pretty sure it's a problem with the thermal paste inside the CPU.

Thanks, I really like the way it turned out.  For remounting... I removed, cleaned, and reapplied TP and same results.  When i removed the block, everything seems right.  Spread looked to be very even with no signs of issues.  I want to delid but not sure how confident I am in myself doing it.  At this point I might just let it go but happy to hear it sounds normal.

Well I love the two cpu’s I delided. Only put lm on one though. A 4770k, doesn’t oc much like most. But still sitting at 80-90 usage and barely leaves idle temps. Wonna try it on my 8700k here soon. 

8C41D2BB-30E9-4A67-A5F5-8CFAC272B51A.jpeg

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz