Ryzen 5 2600 acting up

nsqvk

So i was toying a bit with voltage and frequencies to see if its worth overclocking or not and when i restored everything to stock all of my benchmark scores just got much worse (compared to pre OC stock) Instead of getting of 168/~1300 score it went down to 150 and 1250 on Cinebench R15, I also did a CPU-Z benchmark where before i got around 448 on single and 3450 on multi thread now i get barely 400 on single but for multi thread it increased to 3493. 

What I tried:

Clearing CMOS.

Restoring "optimized defaults" in BIOS

Uninstalled Ryzen Master

Specs:
Ryzen 5 2600

Gigabyte B450M S2H

Sapphire RX560D Pulse

HyperX 8GB DDR4 2666Mhz (CL16-18-18, Nanya chip)

I did the same thing with my Ryzen 3 2200G (On the same system) but it didn't start acting up so this is definitely the first.

Maybe PBO was turned on before in the bios so it Auto-OCs itself and now it is turned off. 
Otherwise that is not much difference at all and can simply be caused by a program in the background doing some stuff. 
Maybe even a slight difference in thermals. 

1 hour ago, nsqvk said:

So i was toying a bit with voltage and frequencies to see if its worth overclocking or not and when i restored everything to stock all of my benchmark scores just got much worse (compared to pre OC stock) Instead of getting of 168/~1300 score it went down to 150 and 1250 on Cinebench R15, I also did a CPU-Z benchmark where before i got around 448 on single and 3450 on multi thread now i get barely 400 on single but for multi thread it increased to 3493. 

What I tried:

Clearing CMOS.

Restoring "optimized defaults" in BIOS

Uninstalled Ryzen Master

Specs:
Ryzen 5 2600

Gigabyte B450M S2H

Sapphire RX560D Pulse

HyperX 8GB DDR4 2666Mhz (CL16-18-18, Nanya chip)

I did the same thing with my Ryzen 3 2200G (On the same system) but it didn't start acting up so this is definitely the first.

Welcome to the forums!

I have merged both your threads as we're not allowed to make multiple threads about the same topic - for clutter reasons.

Have you tried clearing your CMOS and starting again? Sometimes that solves problems as it resets the BIOS settings to factory defaults.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

2 hours ago, Energycore said:

Welcome to the forums!

I have merged both your threads as we're not allowed to make multiple threads about the same topic - for clutter reasons.

Have you tried clearing your CMOS and starting again? Sometimes that solves problems as it resets the BIOS settings to factory defaults.

I know i posted twice, I couldn't delete the previous thread (or i don't know how). I tried clearing the CMOS by removing the battery for 10min and putting back in. 

Also i wasn't able to find the PBO setting in the BIOS and it was grayed out in ryzen master software. 

2 hours ago, C17H23NO2 said:

Maybe PBO was turned on before in the bios so it Auto-OCs itself and now it is turned off. 
Otherwise that is not much difference at all and can simply be caused by a program in the background doing some stuff. 
Maybe even a slight difference in thermals. 

I have a fresh windows install with only a few programs on it so it cant be a background program and i don't think that the motherboard supports PBO as i couldn't find the setting within the BIOS.

So i reset the BIOS again and i m getting normal performance in both cinebench and (162/1222cb and 444/3499 cpuz). I have no idea what caused the CPU to behave the way it did but its all good now thankfully. 

Also just to hijack my own thread, how long do you think a 550w psu will last if i intent to buy a mid range GPU every new generation or should i just splash $20 more and get a 650w? (PSU in question is Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold) 

4 hours ago, nsqvk said:

scores just got much worse (compared to pre OC stock) Instead of getting of 168/~1300 score it went down to 150 and 1250 on Cinebench R15

Since cinebench isn't really synthetic benchmark ( it's an real world test just in same condition every time ), the scores can vary. I would trust Userbenchmark alot more especially when it shows way more info.
Maybe you forgot to set RAM back to normal or simply OS started doing something in background e.g. installing updates or defragmenting disk etc ? Usually there's stuff going on after fresh install.

1 minute ago, Exaco said:

Since cinebench isn't really synthetic benchmark ( it's an real world test just in same condition every time ), the scores can vary. I would trust Userbenchmark alot more especially when it shows way more info.
Maybe you forgot to set RAM back to normal or simply OS started doing something in background e.g. installing updates or defragmenting disk etc ? Usually there's stuff going on after fresh install.

The install isn't that fresh considering that i have been using for 2 or 3 weeks and i didn't touch ram at all so who knows what happened. Also i used cinebench because i know the what type of numbers to expect so it is possible to decide whether its performing as expected. 

11 minutes ago, nsqvk said:

The install isn't that fresh considering that i have been using for 2 or 3 weeks and i didn't touch ram at all so who knows what happened. Also i used cinebench because i know the what type of numbers to expect so it is possible to decide whether its performing as expected. 

I also use 2600, just tested using stock w/ 3000Mhz dual channel ram with all bg stuff turned off ( only Nvidia was recording instant replay ) .
With casual stuff in BG: 1207

Spoiler

which includes:  Opera ( Fb, LTT forum during the test ), 3ds Max on idle, Slack, Discord, Skype, Afterburner, uTorrent ( inactive ), Malwarebytes, RocketDock, OneDrive, GeForce Experience ( active ).

7 hours ago, SMBGUY said:

Try reinstalling Amd chipset drivers 

I did, didn't change a thing but it still is nice to have a up to date driver. 

Maybe reinstall ryzen master and put the settings back to default and then uninstall it? 

8 hours ago, SMBGUY said:

Maybe reinstall ryzen master and put the settings back to default and then uninstall it? 

Its fixed now, dont know what caused it but i m getting better performance than an i5 8400 now. 

22 hours ago, nsqvk said:

Its fixed now, dont know what caused it but i m getting better performance than an i5 8400 now. 

what it could have been is windows 10 latest update running in the background eating cpu usage