[REVIEW] Illegear Raven SE-R Laptop (i7-9750H, RTX 2060)

genexis_x

Welcome to my review on Illegear Raven SE-R laptop. Main specs of the laptop are as below:

Spoiler

i7-9750H

RTX 2060

16GB 2666MHz RAM (single channel)

512GB NVMe M.2 SSD

144Hz IPS

Intel 9560

W10 Trial

Kryonaut paste and display colour calibration NOT included (buyers will get them for free)

Based on Tongfang GK5CR0V chassis

IMPORTANT: This review will focus on thermals ONLY. Since build quality, input devices, audio quality and other minor stuffs are similar, I wouldn’t include them in this review. Only noticeable difference I can tell is, keyboard has become more clicky and there’s no mushiness when keys are pressed. Please refer to the review of Raven SE for more info.

Product page: https://store.illegear.com/game-ready-performance/199-raven-se-r.html

Thermals

The heatsink is a 3+2 config (CPU+GPU) with 2 shared heatpipes. The heatsink doesn’t stretch to left and right - no exhaust vents there.

Spoiler

1713743973_se-rcooling.jpg.3e6a72387da6cc3907c8970c74443baf.jpg

Notes on all thermal testing: 

Spoiler

PL1 – 60W, PL2 – 75W

GPU driver tested is 431.60

Test is conducted in exhibition hall (I guess ambient is 26-28C?)

Game mode and equilibrium mode are used unless stated

BD PROCHOT for CPU is 95C

Max fan noise is ~53dBA

Laptop is plugged in

Undervolt profile: CPU core+cache -100mv (stock: -50mv). You can undervolt GPU if you want, but it takes time. Blue highlighted part is the undervolted result.

CPU temp - Cinebench R15 multi core - temperature taken from first run

Max 86C, 3.9-4GHz, 74-76W, ~1220cb

Max 82C, 4GHz, 66-70W, ~1230cb

CPU temp - Aida64 FPU 60W

Max 83C, ~3.15GHz

Max 82C, ~3.3GHz

GPU temp - Unigine Heaven (extreme profile)

77-79C, 1185-1685MHz, ~80W

FPU + Heaven (extreme) with max fans and turbo mode

CPU: 95-96C, 3.15-3.25GHz, 48-52W

GPU: 78-80C, 1200-1600MHz, 80+W

(game mode – GPU will run at lower clock with around the same temps, mostly below 1300MHz)

There is noticeable uneven core temp – around 10C. The fan speed takes a while to change while under load. The keyboard area will get warm when under load - nothing alarming. Bottom of the laptop isn’t that warm surprisingly.

In Illegear Command Center, there are 3 modes to choose from: Turbo, Game or Office mode. Office mode gives you access to control fan speed but has a 35W CPU power limit. There are 4 power profiles: High performance (same with Windows), Game, Equilibrium, Power saving. In short, keep it at Game mode and Equilibrium unless you’re doing GPU intensive tasks (Turbo mode).

The included power adapter is an 180W unit from Chicony. Take note that temps might be a little higher when running dual channel memory.

Conclusion

For just over RM5k (cash price), you can get a thin and light gaming laptop with RTX 2060.

Starting with thermals – they are decent and close to what you’ll get in Onyx, though the GPU runs slightly hotter due to less exhaust vents and one less heatpipe on GPU. One thing to note is, GPU clock speed is slightly less in average compared to Onyx especially in Turbo mode. Compared to the Turbo mode in Onyx, the boosted GPU clock speed is noticeably behind. I found it weird since Turbo mode did like nothing – only providing slightly higher GPU clock speed despite the higher TDP. Nevertheless, I recommend turning Turbo mode on when you need to run programs that requires GPU power since GPU temp is about the same compared to Game mode.

Still, it’s impressive to see that a thin and light can handle heat more than the stock heat output (45+W CPU and 80+W GPU). Excited to see this again after Onyx, which is also a Tongfang barebone. Plastic chassis also means that surface temps will be slightly lower while under load. Build quality is decent despite the plastic chassis.

This is a better buy compared to Illegear’s own Prodigy IMO. Potential Onyx buyers might also want to consider it too if they don’t mind slightly worse temps and don’t need the additional features like aluminium build, mech keyboard etc.

Pros:

Spoiler

It’s a thin and light - portable

Cheap yet decent

Better thermals among many thin and lights

Decent build quality and input devices

144Hz display

Plenty of ports

Optional battery upgrade (no 2.5 inch bay)

Cons:

Spoiler

Audio needs tuning

GPU runs a bit warm for my liking

Thanks for reading!

Edited by GeneXiS_X

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

28 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Welcome to my review on Illegear Raven SE-R laptop. Main specs of the laptop are as below:

Reveal hidden contents

i7-9750H

RTX 2060

16GB 2666MHz RAM (single channel)

512GB NVMe M.2 SSD

144Hz IPS

Intel 9560

W10 Trial

Kryonaut paste and display colour calibration NOT included (buyers will get them for free)

Based on Tongfang GK5CR0V chassis

IMPORTANT: This review will focus on thermals ONLY. Since build quality, input devices, audio quality and other minor stuffs are similar, I wouldn’t include them in this review. Only noticeable difference I can tell is, keyboard has become more clicky and there’s no mushiness when keys are pressed. Please refer to the review of Raven SE for more info.

Product page: https://store.illegear.com/game-ready-performance/199-raven-se-r.html

Thermals

The heatsink is a 3+2 config (CPU+GPU) with 2 shared heatpipes. The heatsink doesn’t stretch to left and right - no exhaust vents there.

Reveal hidden contents

Notes on all thermal testing: 

Reveal hidden contents

PL1 – 60W, PL2 – 75W

GPU driver tested is 431.60

Test is conducted in exhibition hall (I guess ambient is 26-28C?)

Game mode and equilibrium mode are used unless stated

BD PROCHOT for CPU is 95C

Max fan noise is ~53dBA

Laptop is plugged in

Undervolt profile: CPU core+cache -100mv (stock: -50mv). You can undervolt GPU if you want, but it takes time. Blue highlighted part is the undervolted result.

CPU temp - Cinebench R15 multi core - temperature taken from first run

Max 86C, 3.9-4GHz, 74-76W, ~1220cb

Max 82C, 4GHz, 66-70W, ~1230cb

CPU temp - Aida64 FPU 60W

Max 83C, ~3.15GHz

Max 82C, ~3.3GHz

GPU temp - Unigine Heaven (extreme profile)

77-79C, 1185-1685MHz, ~80W

FPU + Heaven (extreme) with max fans and turbo mode

CPU: 95-96C, 3.15-3.25GHz, 48-52W

GPU: 78-80C, 1200-1600MHz, 80+W

(game mode – GPU will run at lower clock with around the same temps, mostly below 1300MHz)

There is noticeable uneven core temp – around 10C. The fan speed takes a while to change while under load. The keyboard area will get warm when under load - nothing alarming. Bottom of the laptop isn’t that warm surprisingly.

In Illegear Command Center, there are 3 modes to choose from: Turbo, Game or Office mode. Office mode gives you access to control fan speed but has a 35W CPU power limit. There are 4 power profiles: High performance (same with Windows), Game, Equilibrium, Power saving. In short, keep it at Game mode and Equilibrium unless you’re doing GPU intensive tasks (Turbo mode).

The included power adapter is an 180W unit from Chicony. Take note that temps might be a little higher when running dual channel memory.

Conclusion

For just over RM5k (cash price), you can get a thin and light gaming laptop with RTX 2060.

Starting with thermals – they are decent and close to what you’ll get in Onyx, though the GPU runs slightly hotter due to less exhaust vents and one less heatpipe on GPU. One thing to note is, GPU clock speed is slightly less in average compared to Onyx especially in Turbo mode. Compared to the Turbo mode in Onyx, the boosted GPU clock speed is noticeably behind. I found it weird since Turbo mode did like nothing – only providing slightly higher GPU clock speed despite the higher TDP. Nevertheless, I recommend turning Turbo mode on when you need to run programs that requires GPU power since GPU temp is about the same compared to Game mode.

Still, it’s impressive to see that a thin and light can handle heat more than the stock heat output (45+W CPU and 80+W GPU). Excited to see this again after Onyx, which is also a Tongfang barebone. Plastic chassis also means that surface temps will be slightly lower while under load. Build quality is decent despite the plastic chassis.

This is a better buy compared to Illegear’s own Prodigy IMO. Potential Onyx buyers might also want to consider it too if they don’t mind slightly worse temps and don’t need the additional features like aluminium build, mech keyboard etc.

Pros:

Reveal hidden contents

It’s a thin and light - portable

Cheap yet decent

Better thermals among many thin and lights

Decent build quality and input devices

144Hz display

Plenty of ports

Optional battery upgrade (no 2.5 inch bay)

Cons:

Reveal hidden contents

Audio needs tuning

GPU runs a bit warm for my liking

Thanks for reading!

When your in the 80's and 90's c you are very close to TJ MAX.  Your using at most not even 400w on full load.  On idle your using 120 to 140 watts and near 400 watts when gaming.  Im confused I read the whole thing and I don't understand what your question is ?

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

34 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

When your in the 80's and 90's c you are very close to TJ MAX.  Your using at most not even 400w on full load.  On idle your using 120 to 140 watts and near 400 watts when gaming.  Im confused I read the whole thing and I don't understand what your question is ?

It's a laptop...and I didn't ask question

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128