Computer Speakers - EMI

EternalSunKing

I am experiencing a lot of electro magnetic interference through my VERY old speakers (enjoy an equivalent image below). Simply carrying a phone in my pocket will set them off with a series of static pops any time a text or call comes in. Easy fix, just leave my phone on the table across the room... not really. My wifi router is currently sitting to the left of my computer on the floor. Though not as significant, they too seem to have an impact.... Are my speakers the problem??? The speakers sound fine for needs but this static is just flat annoying. 

Thoughts???

Image result for Colorsit SP-168

First build, nothing to see here...

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600  MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro Wifi  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory STORAGE: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + Crucial MX500 500GB 

GRAPHICS: XFX Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS Black Edition OC+ CASE: Phanteks Eclipse P400S POWER: SeaSonic EVO Edition 620 W Bronze Fully Modular

It might just be that they are going out. I would try a different plug on the PC, and see what happens

i7 6700k, GTX 1080, Crucial MX 300, Maximus VII Hero, WD Blue, 16 GB RAM

I remember this happening back in the day (think Nokia brick phone). The speakers in general sounds just fine.

I decided to plug my speakers in the case headphone jack. I am still able to make the sound come and go by simply picking up my wifi router and setting it next to the speakers.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600  MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro Wifi  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory STORAGE: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + Crucial MX500 500GB 

GRAPHICS: XFX Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS Black Edition OC+ CASE: Phanteks Eclipse P400S POWER: SeaSonic EVO Edition 620 W Bronze Fully Modular

I'm wondering if the much older manufacturing processes make these speaker more susceptible to EMI. No point in updating if i'm likely to experience the same problems.

Plus, my desk, keyboard and monitor are far higher on my wants list of future updates.

9 hours ago, EternalSunKing said:

I am experiencing a lot of electro magnetic interference through my VERY old speakers (enjoy an equivalent image below). Simply carrying a phone in my pocket will set them off with a series of static pops any time a text or call comes in. Easy fix, just leave my phone on the table across the room... not really. My wifi router is currently sitting to the left of my computer on the floor. Though not as significant, they too seem to have an impact.... Are my speakers the problem??? The speakers sound fine for needs but this static is just flat annoying. 

Thoughts???

Image result for Colorsit SP-168

EMI doesn't affect the actual motor assembly in the driver of the speaker, it will affect cables and electronics further down the signal path though. EMI is pretty hard to deal with, but you can try putting ferrite ring's on the cable's (signal, and power if you want, ferrite rings on the power cable/supply is not needed though) such as these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dreamtop-Clip-Ferrite-Suppressor-Diameter/dp/B01MG8GQ1F/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=Ferrite+ring&qid=1567686308&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzRllJVFRaRjYyMDU0JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDg0Njc0MTYzQkkzMFJTVzREVSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTY2NDA1MlcxOURORko0N0NSMCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

18 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

EMI doesn't affect the actual motor assembly in the driver of the speaker, it will affect cables and electronics further down the signal path though. EMI is pretty hard to deal with, but you can try putting ferrite ring's on the cable's (signal, and power if you want, ferrite rings on the power cable/supply is not needed though) such as these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dreamtop-Clip-Ferrite-Suppressor-Diameter/dp/B01MG8GQ1F/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=Ferrite+ring&qid=1567686308&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzRllJVFRaRjYyMDU0JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDg0Njc0MTYzQkkzMFJTVzREVSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTY2NDA1MlcxOURORko0N0NSMCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Would new speakers have a lower chance of being affected? Or should I simply work to rearrange my setup further away from wireless devices.

Thanks for the input.

Just now, EternalSunKing said:

Would new speakers have a lower chance of being affected? Or should I simply work to rearrange my setup further away from wireless devices.

Thanks for the input.

New speakers might help as they will probably have better shielding on the cables, i have a wifi router basically right next to my setup and have 0 issues (well the RCA cable's are pretty high-end so)

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)