Programming, College - 1000-1500 laptop

Rocky7

Hi, I'm looking for a laptop that will be used for programming (Web and App Dev) and college (Computer Science). It won't be used for gaming, but I would prefer if it had at least MX150 or option for eGPU, so I still have an option to run lighter games on occasion. I currently own Xiaomi Notebook Pro, which I really love, but i'll have to give it away.

Requirements:

• good build quality (maybe business grade?) - but also modern design
  • 14" or 15"
  • preferably latest cpu
  • 16GB RAM (or 8GB with option to expand)
  • 500GB SSD NVMe
  • 2kg max
  • good battery life (4-6h)
  • thin bezels if possible

Currently I have my eyes on Carbon x1 (over budget), xps (pricy + heard it has some problems), elitebooks (big bezels), zenbooks (not the best build quality?)

I'm from Europe. Stores: http://geizhals.eu

What about a ThinkPad T480(p) or T490(p). Those are high end business class devices with options for an MX150 and are otherwise excellent with high quality design, 8-9 hours of battery life and low noise. Or, if those are overbudget, the E495 or E490.

Yeah I heard that they are great, but I don't really dig lonovo's outdated design.. anything else you could recommend?

4 minutes ago, Rocky7 said:

Yeah I heard that they are great, but I don't really dig lonovo's outdated design.. anything else you could recommend?

I mean, the flashy "modern design" is usually very fragile and laptops with good build quality don't feature it intentionally. 

24 minutes ago, Rocky7 said:

Hi, I'm looking for a laptop that will be used for programming (Web and App Dev) and college (Computer Science). It won't be used for gaming, but I would prefer if it had at least MX150 or option for eGPU, so I still have an option to run lighter games on occasion. I currently own Xiaomi Notebook Pro, which I really love, but i'll have to give it away.

Requirements:

• 14" or 15"
  • preferably latest cpu
  • 500GB SSD NVMe
  • 2kg max

Currently I have my eyes on Carbon x1 (over budget), xps (pricy + heard it has some problems), elitebooks (big bezels), zenbooks (not the best build quality?)

I have almost the exact same question & education, however I need mine to (just?) be able to run Kali Linux w/ many pen testing tools.

Cheers.

8 minutes ago, Commander Rockwell said:

I have almost the exact same question & education, however I need mine to (just?) be able to run Kali Linux w/ many pen testing tools.

Cheers.

I'd say an L490 or X390 if you fancy a ThinkPad. Else, an EliteBook 745 G5

1 hour ago, Rocky7 said:

Are zenbooks any good?

They're average - cannot come close to business laptops but better than the ultra-fragile stuff like MacBooks and commodity Aspire/Inspiron/IdeaPad models

Can I get some more opinions? I'm really lost ...

+ what would you say about elitebooks? I was at the store yesterday to check them out, but I was not impressed, since my 700€ Xiaomi Notebook Pro seems to have much better and sturdier build quality.

On 9/4/2019 at 3:44 PM, Rocky7 said:

Requirements:

• 14" or 15"
  • preferably latest cpu
  • 500GB SSD NVMe
  • 2kg max

I recommend a dell xps 15 (preferably the 9750 because of the now cheaper price). The MSI prestige 14" and 15" will launch this month with intel 10th gen u processors and nvidia GPUs I recommend the 15".

Acer are refreshing their swift 3 and 5 this month so I think you should check them out