NAT Loopback Work Around

Snotrap

Hello all,

Just fished out an old laptop and installed Ubuntu on it alongside with Pi-Hole. Really simple install. However.

Telstra, the **** ******* ***** of all ******* ISPs has disable NAT loopback on their modems, not allowing me to set the Pi-Hole as my DNS server. 

This means I can't access servers on my local network such as Minecraft, CS:GO and more. Can't access a locally hosted website from another computer. And more frustrations.

Is there ANY way around this nonsense without going out and purchasing a second router to use a a second access point that actually has NAT loopback?

I would really appreciate any help!!!

My Machines:

I know. I need to update this. And I will. Eventually. 

If you officially own their modem, you can try and mod it with custom software like OpenWRT/Padavan for routers. Otherwise, I think, there's only NAT bridge on laptop that can help you somehow... BTW, can you access your own servers using public IP?

Purify your Windows 10/11, don't give Microsoft anything that you don't want to share.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZwVs9zrM493rjD42E2Pf0YcOkaW92ZUo

Tips for folding on laptop:

Lazy man wants upgrades from the sky.

https://stats.foldingathome.org/donor/Spakes

39 minutes ago, Spakes said:

If you officially own their modem, you can try and mod it with custom software like OpenWRT/Padavan for routers. Otherwise, I think, there's only NAT bridge on laptop that can help you somehow... BTW, can you access your own servers using public IP?

I do own the router and yes, some of them I can (when the port forwarding works) but I can't access my DNS from outside of the network. What do you mean by NAT bridge?

My Machines:

3 hours ago, Snotrap said:

I do own the router and yes, some of them I can (when the port forwarding works) but I can't access my DNS from outside of the network.

For that you need to turn on WAN access to local network (or something like that), which is actually logical, considering that your setup usually does things locally.

3 hours ago, Snotrap said:

What do you mean by NAT bridge?

Something that VMs use to have internet access that host has.

Purify your Windows 10/11, don't give Microsoft anything that you don't want to share.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZwVs9zrM493rjD42E2Pf0YcOkaW92ZUo

Tips for folding on laptop:

Lazy man wants upgrades from the sky.

https://stats.foldingathome.org/donor/Spakes

It's not called NAT loopback, it's called NAT hairpinning. And it's not disabled, most likely the router just doesnt support it.

Hairpinning should only be used in specific cases. Why are you unable to access your services from within your next work? If indeed on your LAN why are you trying to access via public?

You don't need hairpinning if you are just trying to access via LAN.

On 8/31/2019 at 12:20 AM, mynameisjuan said:

It's not called NAT loopback, it's called NAT hairpinning. And it's not disabled, most likely the router just doesnt support it.

Hairpinning should only be used in specific cases. Why are you unable to access your services from within your next work? If indeed on your LAN why are you trying to access via public?

You don't need hairpinning if you are just trying to access via LAN.

Really? I've heard to access something on LAN I need loopback. I have the telstra Arcadyan. I cannot access my services from LAN but from a mobile hotspot I can

My Machines: