Would upgrading from a 4300m significantly improve a system that just needs to handle chrome and maybe some video streaming?

Bought a thinkpad to build a utilitarian travel laptop. Obviously 4gb of ram isn't enough so I bought 16. Didn't come with a HDD so I bought a 500gb wd blue ssd and will probably dualboot on it. Other than that trying to determine what's worth syncing my money into at this point. Would it even be worth spending the $75 or so it would cost to get my hands on a 4th gen i7 mobile cpu on ebay? Do it later? Or would that throw windows off? I know it won't throw linux off.

I doubt it would make a big difference.  Web browsing is still relatively lightly threaded, and your i5 apparently boosts to 3.3 Ghz, which is pretty decent.  Unless the i7 you're looking at is as much or more, you probably wouldn't notice a big difference for that purpose.  Other tasks, and maybe even general usability, perhaps, but I would be reluctant to promise any big change in web browsing.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I doubt it would make a big difference.  Web browsing is still relatively lightly threaded, and your i5 apparently boosts to 3.3 Ghz, which is pretty decent.  Unless the i7 you're looking at is as much or more, you probably wouldn't notice a big difference for that purpose.  Other tasks, and maybe even general usability, perhaps, but I would be reluctant to promise any big change in web browsing.

Cool I'll see how it goes. Don't want to sync too much money into an older laptop. Was just on vacation and thought it would be nice to have for the next time I go out of town.